The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Opening for Parlour Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
682 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
What is the best tirck to use for an impactful opening for a parlour performance?

My magical friends, any views?
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jimmy, in a typical parlor performance, you will probably be setting up right in front of some of your spectators even it is just opening up your roll-on case (unless you do everything out of your pockets). Then you are probably doing to do a couple of warm-up bits (mainly gags or teaching them to clap routines). At some point you will get into your show/act.

Something startling, visual and very magical. In one act, I snap my fingers and reach into the air and produce a 36-inch silk scarf. It is immediately split into two and used for a self-untying knot routine. Two more silk scarves are produced (splitting the silks again) and a sympatric silk routine is performed.

One could say that the instant, barehanded production of a scarf is my opener.
In another show, I produce a stemmed glass, full to the brim with wine (colored water). The glass is used (shortly after I drink the “wine” for a misers dream routine.

In a third act, I will toss a length of rope to a spectator and even join in a tug-of-war with them before doing a cut and restored routine.

I use these routines as cues to the audience that the show has begun in earnest. They are used to transition from the set-up/warm-up phase to the Magic Show phase.

I don’t see my “opener” as a single trick or a single effect, but rather as the beginning of a sequence of effects that are logically tied together and tend to happen very rapidly.

(Bare handed production of a scarf, to splitting the scarf into two, to self-untying knot routine, to production of two more scarves, to sympathetic silk routine. The production of full glass of wine to a misers dream routine. Cut and Restored rope, to a full rope routine a la Tabary, to ring and rope routine. You get the idea).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Opening for Parlour Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL