We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » For those that want to accept credit card payment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
Just thought I'd share something interesting I found

https://squareup.com/

you need an iphone though

http://www.ferrisyao.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
It works with several android devices as well. I switched to an LG Ally just to be able to use Square.
-Matt
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I use a normal wireless terminal because it reception is much better than a cell phone and the rates are better, I found a company that has a very minimal rate for usage; it cost me very little to run a credit card

If you want the name of the company PM me
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Square has decent rates. As Matthew said, you don't need an iphone. It's not the greatest app, not enough options, but it's great to be able to swipe credit cards on your phone, especially if you already carry a smart phone.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
It will also work on an iPod if you have WiFi available. I've been very pleased with it. (I don't have a smart phone.)
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
My son uses Square on his Android phone. I liked it so much I ditched Windows Mobile for an Android and got the app. Haven't used it yet ....

Ed
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Do some fellow Café members still use the PayPal online money request and/or invoicing system?

I do believe that the PayPal system is iPhone/mobile friendly yet, for collecting credit card payments on site --but I am not certain.

There are PayPal related fees, of course. But they seem reasonable.

Aside from Squareup, what are some other (better and less expensive) alternatives for use with an iPhone?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
I love Google Checkout. I have used this merchant service for the past 2 years and have taken lots of CC payments for shows this way. I just set up the code on a private web page and send the client the link. Everything after that is in Google's hands and very secure.

Love it.

-E
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Any tips on how to use the iphone on site with the client to accept credit card payment via PayPal after the show?
Jonathan
EliTheIllusionist
View Profile
Regular user
York, PA
191 Posts

Profile of EliTheIllusionist
"After" the show??

-E
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Keep in mind
Squareup has no customer service...

is they get a charge dispute they withdraw the money from your account and then you have to prove "to their satisfaction" that you deserve to get it back

I just got a chargeback last month for a party I did last october
square took the money out of my account.. I showed the contract and even some photos from the party..
THey still have not given me back my money...

I had to close and reopen my bank account to get rid of them.. I am now PAYING for a merchant account with a person I can talk to
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Mike,
Yep, square is not a good long-term solution. As long as you don't need support, don't mind having money withdrawn from your account every once in a while (according to many on-line forums) they seem like a great, quick way to sign up for accepting credit cards. I've looked into a few others, but still haven't found what I'm looking for!
LFoxx
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of LFoxx
One thing you need to consider with a smart phone based or even computer based gateway for processing credit cards is PCI Compliance. If you are using wifi and it's not encrypted, like the wifi at a hotel you are probably violating this and can be fined by your processor or the credit card company and could be liable if the CC number gets stolen.

I used to use a smart phone app to run credit cards, but now I wait until I get home to run them from my desktop. Read the PCI Security Standards and understand them before processing on your smart phone. Personally I can wait an extra day to avoid any potential hassle of my phone or wifi leaking anyone's CC info.

Isaac Louie
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Ouch!! That's good info, Mike.
I think I want to cancel my SquareUp account.

Ed
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Excellent info and cautionary words about why "not" to process payments via our Smartphones, Isaac Louie.
Many thanks! I too believe that both the client and I will be willing to wait the extra few hours it will take to get back home to my PC to process the payment in a secure and reliable manner.

Jonathan
Jonathan
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
It sounded AWESOME at the time.. and I used it OFTEN for about 4 months (I got mine about 3 weeks after they started shipping readers)

I loved it until I did a large decor job and couldn't get paid for 30 days...

then last week the new issues...

I have a new merchant account through my bank and they have a strict policy ...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I did some searches on the internet - seems like most (but not all) of the complaints appeared to be people running up against the $1000 per transaction/$3000 per month limits, but without having read the agreement completely to know what the limits and that they were there by design, which would have allowed them to make other arrangements.

I did send an email to SquareUp support using their contact form. I asked the following questions:

-- Why would money given by a customer suddenly disappear from my account?
-- How would I know if the action was initiated by SquareUp, my bank, or the customer's bank?
-- If I dispute the retraction of a payment, how do I know whether to contact SquareUp or my bank?
-- What is a normal amount of time to resolve a dispute?
-- Will you contact me to let me know there's a dispute, the details surrounding the dispute, and what your actions will be in the dispute before you intiate any action to remove money from my account?
-- Is it hard to talk to a "live person" at SquareUp to get answers?

I received a response in less than 12 hours. This is the response I received:

Quote:
Hello Ed,

When a chargeback is initiated you will be informed immediately. We collect information from both the cardholder and the merchant. If necessary, we'll bring the two parties together. Chargebacks are always initiated by the cardholder's bank. The request is then sent to us and we will reach out to you. Each dispute is different, so it's hard to pinpoint an exact time frame for resolution. We do the majority of our technical support over email. If a charge back is involved we will contact you by phone if necessary.

Please keep in mind that chargebacks that result from manually entered transactions are generally harder to win for the merchant. We suggest that in an attempt to mitigate losses resulted from chargebacks, you do the following:

1 – Verify the identity of the card holder.
2 – Keep signatures on file for all cards.
3 – Provide receipts to your clients for all transactions.
4 – Enter detailed descriptions for each transaction.
5 – Input Valid CVV, Expiration Date and Zip Code information (cardholders billing zip code).
6 – Store any tracking information with proof of delivery.
7 – Write either "Internet Order" or "Phone Auth" on the signature screen to confirm that this was not a card present transaction.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Don't know if this helps anyone. I really can't see myself hitting either of the mentioned limits (I _wish_ my business was that good!!). But the idea of a disputed charge getting pulled back and tied up for some time, with documented difficulties in geting a hold of someone who can explain exactly what's going on - that gives me significant pause.

Ed

PS - There some internet postings that gave a phone number for Square. I did not call it to verify.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Anyone know or understand about the relatively new feature offered by Facebook to use PayPal?

http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/508
Jonathan
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
767 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Like others, I just send the client a link to my web page that has a Paypal button on it. This is generally used for the booking fee I charge. If they want to pay the balance with a card, then I require they do it a day before the party so that I can confirm receipt of payment. Otherwise I just take cash or a check for the balance once the show is done. I this manner I don't have to bother with setting up a merchant account, etc. Yes, Paypal does take a couple of bucks for their service.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Ed;

I don’t know why you’re concerned about charge backs?

You show up for a show at a home, you perform, you run the card, it goes through, you go home, no one is going to say you were not there; if they don’t like the show they don’t hand you a card, you don’t run it.

In all my years in business I have never had a chargeback.

You should be more concerned about monthly service charges and fees
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » For those that want to accept credit card payment (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL