We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » For those that want to accept credit card payment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
All these points raised about security are very valid. I have to go through a very detailed check of my security of customers numbers every year. It is called a Trustwave Compliance check. If you do not pass their security, they can revoke your account.

I would always stick with a bank for credit card processing.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I have never had to conduct a Trustwave Compliance check for my credit card processing.

I guess they just trust me. as not only am I trustworthy, being a boyscout when I was young, I am brave, clean and reverent as well
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The concern, Howie, is that while it may never happen, all it would take is one at an inopportune moment to seriously screw up my month! In my job, we use a Risk Matrix (similar to here - http://kennebeccaptain.blogspot.com/2011......est.html ); anything in the red is to be avoided, redesigned, mitigated, whatever, before executing the project. A single chargeback that can't be resolved for weeks or months may be rare, but it could be catastrophic. And the time to contemplate those things is before you you get dumped in the soup!

Ed
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 10:49, Howie Diddot wrote:
I have never had to conduct a Trustwave Compliance check for my credit card processing.

I guess they just trust me. as not only am I trustworthy, being a boyscout when I was young, I am brave, clean and reverent as well

I am afraid you aren't. I have checked you out.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Ed

are we talking about the same thing?

a chargeback is from a customer that files a dispute, it can happen anytime, I never had a chargeback, I have had bad checks, but it never was a catastrophe; I don’t understand the sailing the world thing…
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Got to say I use squareup and it is great. Not sure it would be good for someone with really large sells. But for my backroom of sells this summer, perfect. My sells were up about 45% due the fact that I could take there card right then. I had a merchant account paying close to 22.00 month just to have it. Could not take American express or Discover they wanted more money. Square no contract no equipment to buy no monthly charges. When I decided to leave my merchant account they tried everything to keep me. But it was too late, I paid them for 10 years a monthly fee an in some cases I would not use the credit card machine for months but I would still have the monthly charge.

Again square is great for small BOR. LOVE it!!

BTW I did have a charge back and they took the money out the account. I sent (customer service) them a email and within two days my money was back.

Ken
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The sailing page was a convenient example of a risk matrix, and of people who chanced a risk that was rare but had catastrophic consequences should it ever occur. We use the same type of risk analysis at work: if the intersection of likelihood and consequences has too high a score, it's time to re-think the action you're about to take.

A chargeback from a customer dispute may be rare, but at this time the consequences would be dire. That's enough to make me pause before putting that plan into action. At a later date, I will probably be able to float through such an occurance, but right now is iffy.

Ed
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
With squareup, will you be able to accept deposits over the phone by the customer reading you the card number?
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Dynamike,
Yes. With SquareUp you can swipe their card or type in the number on your phone. You'll pay a higher percentage if you "key it in." It's more risky to process a card that isn't physically there!

I use SquareUp and like Ken Scott, have loved it for BOR sales, especially PTA nights. So far, it's much, much better than my previous processor (Intuit). Fair fees, no equipment to buy, no monthly fees, no minimums, it's great!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just registered with squareup. They are sending me the card reader.
Ola
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia / Sweden
245 Posts

Profile of Ola
I use invoice2go on my iPhone / iPad.

It automatically creates a paypal link for credit card payments.

Highly recommended.

Quote:
On 2011-07-22 14:04, jlevey wrote:
Do some fellow Café members still use the PayPal online money request and/or invoicing system?

I do believe that the PayPal system is iPhone/mobile friendly yet, for collecting credit card payments on site --but I am not certain.

There are PayPal related fees, of course. But they seem reasonable.

Aside from Squareup, what are some other (better and less expensive) alternatives for use with an iPhone?

Jonathan
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you are all the same...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1062 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I was featured on Square's FB fan page on fathers day.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/square/fat......63304646
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Tim,
Just post the story here, or link to a site where people don't have to be logged in!

Thanks,
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » For those that want to accept credit card payment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL