The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » America’s Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 16:02, blueshawk1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 13:55, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
I think that is a good lesson for all Vents to follow. Folks that like Ventriloquism aren't impressed with smut. They want good clean entertainment. That is what will keep this art form alive and well.

I know this is off topic, but I can't help it, I had to step in and agree with this. I do NOT like to see a vent doing blue material. I remember seeing a video of one, he was really crude, I had to turn it off. Some suggestive jokes, (and I'm talking what would have been considered suggestive in maybe the 50's or 40's) I'm okay with, but past that.....no thanks. I've even been dismayed that the f-bomb has become a frequent visitor to Jeff Dunham's routines.
Besides, as everyone knows, blue material is for cheap easy laughs, I've just always preferred a well thought out routine.

I agree with this. It's easy to score laughs by having a puppet drop curse words and make sexual remarks. It's something that the audience perceives as "wrong," (since puppets shouldn't behave that way) so it shocks them into laughing. Not only is it crude, it's kind of cheating. I'm willing to admit that there is a time, place, and context for all swearing, but vent simply isn't one of them.

As for the topic, I have no real plans to get involved in show business- vent is more of a hobby and pasttime for me than a viable career- but even a country bumpkin like me wouldn't sign a contract *that* restrictive. It's like selling your soul to the devil; sure, you get what you want to an extent, but he OWNS you, and he will always make sure he gets his due. Terry is very lucky to have been released. I also agree that there will never be another vent winner on the show. Terry was lightning in a bottle; it is extremely, extremely rare to see a man that talented.

And of course nobody reads the contract. Heck, most people don't read the instructions to anything they buy. Why would these 20-something wanna be famous singers read a 45-page contract?
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Why would famous vents show up without their "other half"? At what point does one loose their right to be seen and photographed with their dummy? Jimmy Nelson retrieved a Danny and Farfal from the Vent Haven for his brief performance.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I don't know about "lose the right", maybe more like it's "gain the right" to be seen without their vent partner and have people just be thrilled to see the person. If someone fit that description, I guess it's safe to say Jimmy Nelson would be one those people.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Dr. Solar, Jimmy still owns Danny & Farfel - they had to be retrieved from the museum because of the exhibit.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Dr Solar everything on display in the New Jimmy Nelson Building belonged to Mr Nelson. All was given to use for the display on Saturday only. The stand in Farfel and his not so exact duplicate Danny O'Day are permanant members of the Vent Haven Museum. After the viewing on Saturday everything was packed and went back home to the Nelsons.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » America’s Got Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL