The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing cane help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of imanipulatestuff
Hey guys, I'm back again! Although this time I am in an unfortunate predicament... while I was at my last gig, I lost the cap to my vanishing cane. I looked all over for it, but it appears to be gone forever Smile Can it be replaced or can another object substitute it? If not would anyone be willing to donate the cap from their broken cane? Thanks a lot!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1448 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Use either a cane tip in the 1" size...available in plastic at a pharmacy or drugstore...
or look around for the cap to a bottle of cologne (sucha s Ralph Lauren polo...it looks more like a cane cap ...thtn a cane cap!

JNEAL
visit me @ JNealShow.com
imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Hmm very clever! I might have some issues with using it with my appearing cane, but thanks a lot!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 01:54, imanipulatestuff wrote:
Hmm very clever! I might have some issues with using it with my appearing cane, but thanks a lot!

So which is it, a vanishing or appearing cane? You original post stated vanishing cane. Go to Walmart or a local hardware store and buy 1" furniture leg plastic tips. You will then have 4 more to lose before having to buy another pack.

Appearing cane does not use a cap, so how could you lose it?
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You can get the chair tips in various sizes. For a Fantasio cane, probably a 7/8" will work. You might need a 3/4".

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1448 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Hug is probably right...a 7/8" may be better.

The only issue with using the new cane tip is that it might not match the design of the appearing cane. shouldn't be a big deal...
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, I guess I mis-understood the OP, he was commenting on using and showing the Vanishing and Appearing in the same showing. Well, I don't think his original cap he lot matched his Appearing Cane, so that is what made his statement confusing. I have never seen a matching handle tip for a Vanishing and Appearing Cane.

If you need them to match, use tape.

Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 01:14, imanipulatestuff wrote:
Hey guys, I'm back again! Although this time I am in an unfortunate predicament... while I was at my last gig, I lost the cap to my vanishing cane. I looked all over for it, but it appears to be gone forever Smile Can it be replaced or can another object substitute it? If not would anyone be willing to donate the cap from their broken cane? Thanks a lot!

Watch Levent's Manipulation Act DVD. He has THE BEST way to vanish a cane I've ever seen.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I just realized that the original poster in this thread didn't specify whether he lost the cap to a Walsh vanishing cane or a Fantasio one. I think we've all been assuming that it was a Fantasio cane.

There's a picture of the Walsh cane at:
http://www.atlantismagic.com/albums/albu......6951.htm
It looks like it has a gold-painted knob, which is called "Bakelite" in the caption.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't think the type of cane matters, a replacement cap is a replacement cap. Walsh uses about an inch, and being they have been off the market for 40 years, it is safe to say, he was using a Fantasio, German, India silver model, Tannen, defunct Empire model, Japanese. He did not say if it was black, blue, silver, bronse or any of the other colors available.

In any event a 7/8" or 1" will work with any of these Vanishing Canes.

imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Oh wow! this thread is sure buzzing! I thought I would get emails for new responses! sorry guys!

It is a black fantasio , and I'll try various methods mentioned. sounds like the chair leg idea will suit best, but since hearing this cologne idea, I am interested in using it, and possibly even mod ing my appearing cane to work with it. much more cane-ish lol

wmhegbli thanks for the insight , sorry for any confusion.

Fabio this sounds very interesting, is it a ditch or whole vanish? I remember hearing a method a while back of someone using a metal can and a hold&%$ to ditch it after the vanish took place, is this a similar idea?

-thanks all!
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Levent's method is a one-handed vanish. The d---- can be executed easily, since the element of misdirection there is very strong, as well as the separation between the place where the magic happens and where the cane actually ends up being quite extense.

To get you even more curious about it...the cane uses a faux cap (that must be "refilled" every time you use it, but for quite cheap). Levent is here on the Café and he's a VERY nice and accessible guy. I haven't watched his Manipulation Act dvd entirely, just afew parts of it at a friend's - it is filled with awesome concepts and original ideas.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of Anatole
If the vanishing cane is your opening effect, you might consider Richard Ross's one-hand vanishing cane from his "Greater Magic" video, in which case it doesn't matter that you lost the cap. The video is described at
http://www.dennymagic.com/products/stage......oss-dvd/

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Both the Levent and Richard Ross ideas are excellent. They are very commercial too.

As far as caps go, I have found brass and copper tubing caps in hardware stores that looked almost 100% identical to the metal caps that come on the metal vanishing canes. The only difference was that the edge where the side and top of the cap meet are rounded, as opposed to squared. I think they were in the range of $1.60/USD for two in a pack.
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
I think You can use the plastic tips for chairs,but what about flash paper? Maybe You will have to change a bit Your routine but the effect is beautiful.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 02:23, wmhegbli wrote:

Go to Walmart or a local hardware store and buy 1" furniture leg plastic tips. You will then have 4 more to lose before having to buy another pack.

That's really helpful, thanks.

Neal
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Vintage vanishing cane tip from an old Walsh.

This shot shows silver cane tips for German
One standard and the other has a flash striker in the end.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That Walsh cap looks nothing like mine, that must be one of the very 1st he made. Mine also has a spring inside the cap to hold a silk.

John Fabjance has announed he will be making the Walsh Vanishing and Appearing Canes again in the near future.

Check his site at http://www.magicmgmt.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing cane help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL