The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oslo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
What do these people think they achieve?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
One of the biggest mysteries I can imagine. Suicide bombings get buried on about page 12 of the paper these days - they've become so commonplace that no one even cares anymore. Obviously Oslo isn't the normal location for any kind of bombing, so it's making headlines, but still...I can't begin to imagine what people think this will achieve.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Wow. 80+ dead. From what I've read, sounds like some international extremist groups have tried to "take credit" for this, but the latest is that it was actually some homegrown domestic terrorist act. One official said the attack "is probably more Norway's Oklahoma City than it is Norway's World Trade Center." I suppose we will learn more in the days ahead.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4922 Posts

Profile of landmark
In lieu of the latest reports, I'm waiting for the worldwide profiling of right-wing blond-haired Caucasians to commence. Or at least for Herman Cain's statement that he'll be excluding them from his cabinet.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I'm not too concerned about laying blame yet...the press isn't real keen on checking sources at first...I'll let the dust settle. But in the mean time I feel horrible for the families of those lost. What a tragedy, regardless of where or when something like this occurs.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 23:48, landmark wrote:
In lieu of the latest reports, I'm waiting for the worldwide profiling of right-wing blond-haired Caucasians to commence. Or at least for Herman Cain's statement that he'll be excluding them from his cabinet.

Yes, because such reaction always flows from singular, isolated incidents.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I've been watching CNN's tweets on this and will continue to do so. My Grandmother on my Mother's side who recently passed was Norwegian. This is a tragedy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gee Critter - my maternal grandfather was also Norwegian - my mother's maiden name was Olsen.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4922 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 00:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 23:48, landmark wrote:

Yes, because such reaction always flows from singular, isolated incidents.

Yes, right-wing Caucasian extremism like Oklahoma City which was quoted above, is a one-off happening.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5954 Posts

Profile of motown
For the second time I've received email from friends regarding a very extremist event. First from a friend in Stockholm and now Oslo. Very sad.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 08:37, Destiny wrote:
Gee Critter - my maternal grandfather was also Norwegian - my mother's maiden name was Olsen.

Olsen, like those Anorexic girls what used to do bad sitcoms?
My Grandma's maiden name was Martinson.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From the CBC:

Quote:
A 32-year-old suspect, who police said dressed up as a police officer before shooting his victims, was in custody and talking, investigators said.

A search of his home and his Facebook postings turned up suggestions of right-wing and anti-Muslim political leanings, police said, but they haven't shared what might have propelled him to mass murder.

“It’s not clear what his motivation is yet and the police haven’t really talked about that,” CBC reporter Nahlah Ayed said from the scene outside Oslo on Saturday. “What we do know from police is that he has been very co-operative and is very keen to express his point of view.”

The Norwegian-born suspect comes from a well-to-do family, and his Facebook page suggests he may be a Christian fundamentalist, she said.

Little else is known yet about his background, including whether he served in Norway's armed forces, although all men in the country are liable for military service after the age of 18.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4922 Posts

Profile of landmark
Dollars to Doughnuts he served in the military. These guys always do.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I, personally, would hope that we don't politicize this thread. Not now.

It's just awful-ugly-gut-wrenching bad, and and a horrible day for all of us.

I ain't a praying type, but tonight I'm praying for the families of those kids out on a camping trip.

We can start another thread for analysis. Let this one be for mourning.

May the nearly 100 people victimized by some single, lone maniac rest in peace.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 13:00, stoneunhinged wrote:

We can start another thread for analysis. Let this one be for mourning.

May the nearly 100 people victimized by some single, lone maniac rest in peace.

Well put.

This was a horrible thing.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2034 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Saying a prayer for them is certainly the right thing to do. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Stone, apologies. But it was a political atrocity.

The 80+ gunned down were part of Norway's youth movement for their Labour Party. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/23......a=blog_1

The killer was attacking the country's future. It's a horrible crime- beyond all comprehension. Smile Prayers should be said indeed.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5954 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 12:52, landmark wrote:
Considering many countries have mandatory military service, that's a pretty good bet.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 21:01, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 12:52, landmark wrote:
Considering many countries have mandatory military service, that's a pretty good bet.

Norway does have a form of compulsory military service, but there are enough 'outs' in the system that only about 4 out of 15 young men have to actually go through with it.

http://www.barentsobserver.com/norway-de......320.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow, Norway's toughest criminal sentence is 21 years?! Nothing like killing 92 people and getting out of prison in time for your 55th birthday party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/23......k3|80593

Please tell me those sentences can run consecutively.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oslo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL