We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My new website goes live in 3..2..1.. its live YEAH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hey Sam;

If you America’s premier family entertainer, what does that leave me, am I now the number two America’s premier family entertainer,

or the America’s premier family entertainer just behind Sam Sandler?

LOL
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
That is one nice site!
Life of Magic!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
To answer a few questions

first yes I am completly deaf I am I believe the only Full-Time Deaf illusionist in America. there are about 300 deaf magicians around the world.
as for my site having that info YES its there. both in the bio and on my school show page you will see my show called Silent Magic - it is a whole show devoted to teaching kids about deaf history and culture as well self esteem and no bullying. the show has been very successful and this school year I hope to really branch out with the show not only in Pa but other states as well.

as for the text on the home pages that scroll - if you are referring to the txt at the bottom of the page in small type that is there more for the SEO stuff and google search stuff. the other text should easily be read. we did however change the timing by 2.5 seconds so you now have 8.5 seconds to read rather then the 6 seconds before.

ANd for being too wide - its not! this site was designed for todays market and computers. the site specifically was made in mind with ipads iphones and other mobile devices. I am not sure why you are seeing it too wide as on all my computers and ipads as well as my friends stuff it looks perfect. I have posed the question to my guy and will let you know what he says.

I hope to have the first video up for the monthly trick mid august if not before.

thanks again for the comments I appreciate your time and your willingness to comment on my new site

magically yours

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
On my Dell with a 15" monitor, I am having to scroll to read the text as the page is wider than the screen. This means that the transitions happen before I can read the entire page.

Bob Phillips
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The standard width for websites for the longest time was 800 pixels, it recently switched to 900 or 1000. When I design sites I set them around 900 pixels.

It looks great and is well designed, but is pretty wide.
-Matt
MikeMasaveg
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MikeMasaveg
Sam,

Some things you might want to consider:

- adding either a call to action button (i.e. "Click Here to Book A Show") or prominently displaying your contact information on the home page. You don't want potential clients hunting for your phone number or for a way to contact you.

- Decreasing the height of your top graphic in order to position your image slider more "above the fold"

- making the text of your navigation bar bigger

- putting your best testimonial quote on the first slide of your image slider

- rename the News menu item to About Us and move the bio pages under that menu heading

Mike
Custom Web Sites for Magicians
www.themanwhocodes.com
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1077 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 09:05, MikeMasaveg wrote:

Same thoughts here, love the site, but almost couldn't find the navigation bar in the beginning caz its too small, especially with the slide-show being such an attention grabber Smile
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 09:05, MikeMasaveg wrote:
Sam,

Some things you might want to consider:

- adding either a call to action button (i.e. "Click Here to Book A Show") or prominently displaying your contact information on the home page. You don't want potential clients hunting for your phone number or for a way to contact you.

- Decreasing the height of your top graphic in order to position your image slider more "above the fold"

- putting your best testimonial quote on the first slide of your image slider

- rename the News menu item to About Us and move the bio pages under that menu heading

Mike

Well I get what you are saying however my contact info is right there on the home page it says CONTACT you click that and you get my simple to fill out form

decreasing the size of the header hmmm I will ask my web guy what he thinks but my manager and I both like it the way it is

text on the Nav bar yea I thought that too at one point but other then magicians not one other "real" person has suggested that or stated that they were too small or hard to find.

every one puts their best testimonial on the first everything I am not everyone and march to a beat of a different Glockenspiel.

news menu- well I like the name news menu -every one else using the about us tag is old.
news makes it sound like it could be exciting or current as about us is always well about us. I understand your thinking but please understand mine. I don't want to be like others and this is working well for me so far so it stays for now.

and again about the size of the site basically if you feel its to big you are behind the curve! this is the new standard - again I want to keep up with the times not fall behind. this is not meant to be a cocky thing just letting you know that my site was designed for todays standards not the standards of 2 years ago!

I really really appreciate all the comments really they help me look at what we have and think it thru even better.

Thanks for your willingness to chime in and let me know your thoughts.

We hope to have some of the coming soon stuff live in about a week or so!

thanks again

sam
MikeMasaveg
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MikeMasaveg
Sounds like you have it well in hand. Good luck.
Custom Web Sites for Magicians
www.themanwhocodes.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Mike- not all of it but I think we are moving in the right direction. as you know - as you apparently design websites that the job is never really done and some of it really is trial and error.

again I appreciate the suggestions and please don't take my statements as I think I know it all as I in no way do! I am not that smart LOL I am smart enought though to have the right people working with me to get the job done.

just curious do you have a website other then the advertisment page that says you make websites? just curious. would like to look over some of your sites to get some ideas of what you do and the way you lay things out.

thanks again

have a great weekend

sam
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sam -

Between this thread, and your previous one on your website, you've had at least half a dozen people comment about the website width. Yet, you are still telling us that WE are all wrong.

I can understand scrolling up and down to see a whole page, but not having to scroll left to right to see a whole page. I have a widescreen monitor and I shouldn't have to scroll sideways on a website.

It is your choice if you want to ignore us.

If the excessive width is annoying to so many of us, then it will be annoying to other potential customers.

- Donald

P.S. Ask some non-customers and non-friends how they feel about the website width. Can they see it all, etc?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I think the site looks great. Of course my daughter wants to know where the picture of you with the rabbit on your head is Smile

I have 2 computers and looked from both. 1 is a new widescreen monitor and the other is a 10 year old monitor (yes one of the ones that weighs a ton) but it's only 15 or 17"
Everything fits perfect in the old monitor but in the new widescreen monitor there's about a 3" gap on both sides of the screen. That happens with a lot of websites with this monitor though.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 12:53, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Sam -

Between this thread, and your previous one on your website, you've had at least half a dozen people comment about the website width. Yet, you are still telling us that WE are all wrong.

I can understand scrolling up and down to see a whole page, but not having to scroll left to right to see a whole page. I have a widescreen monitor and I shouldn't have to scroll sideways on a website.

It is your choice if you want to ignore us.

If the excessive width is annoying to so many of us, then it will be annoying to other potential customers.

- Donald

P.S. Ask some non-customers and non-friends how they feel about the website width. Can they see it all, etc?

Donald-
first yes as mentioned in some of my previous post- every one of my friends and many customers have viewed the site and there was no comment about how wide it was or that it was too wide!

second- I am not ignoring those that are here on the Café rather I am trusting the web guy I am working with over the Café people.

you see my web guy designs for multi million companies! so if his work is good for them then I think I will take his word for it. agian I also want my goal with this site and my new shows is to be ahead of the curve. my site is up to date for what is now the new norm.

I must admit I am very confused by all those that have stated that my site is too wide. it fits my screen and fits my assitants screen, my lap top my iphone my friends ipad so I really don't know what the issue is, my thinking is that those that say its too wide have their screen settings too big.

but at this time I stand by my web guy and feel the site is perfect. he and I are now taking on my other site to redo that one as well for my ministry work, I am looking forward to seeing that site go live before the new year.

thanks agian to all those that posted and please don't think that I am blowing you off or ignoring you I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

sam
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sam -

Here's a screenshot from my computer:

You can see the scroll bar across the bottom. You can see that the whole width of the website isn't showing. You can't see Contact on the menu bar at all.

Sorry for messing up the width of this Café thread. It's a wide screenshot from a wide monitor.

- Donald

P.S. This screenshot is being temporarily hosted on my website. I'll only leave it there for a week or so. For anyone reading this post after that point, you won't be able to see the image.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Sam your width is perfectly acceptable. My laptop screen is set at 1280 x 800. Your site's width is 1114px wide. Donald needs to adjust his screen resolution. ( http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docum......mfr=true )

John
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2751 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sam, the problem with your web guy is, he is a web guy. He doesn't have eyes like normal people.
Computer people are not normal. Sure it looks good to him and all his computer friends.

But those who will be viewing your site, wanting to hire you, are people like me. They know very little about computers and will not go out of their way to adjust the settings to see your site. They will move on.

Asking others to adjust their computer is asking a lot. What do you do, hang a sign. saying, please adjust to fit. Smile Why not just cut an inch off each side and be done with it.

The problem is this: Some folks enlarge the type in order to see it better. Not because they have a small computer, because the print is too small to read on some sites. You do that by pressing Ctrl and +

But unless this setting is changed back, extra large sites like yours will not fit the screen.

I'm sure age has something to do with the smaller print but some do overload the site with information and are forced to use smaller type.

No you don't have too much info, it's just too big for some.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Sam stick with your current site. It looks great. Making it smaller would be like the record industry putting out 78's because some people still wanted to use gramaphones. My first site was sized for a 14 inch monitor, as this was the norm at the time. As monitors increased in size so did my sites, as did all sites. Most laptops are now 15.4 inch widescreens, 1280 x 800 is the resolution.

I like the look of you site. good work.

John
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2751 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
John, you didn't read a word I said, did you? LOL

I don't think it has anything to do with how old the computer is. Does it?

The one I'm on now is a new 19 In Widescreen.

The print is simply spread out to wide, IF someone is viewing it in large print mode.
But hopefully they won't be.

I agree the site does look very good.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This was an interesting comment:
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 13:10, Matthew W wrote:
The standard width for websites for the longest time was 800 pixels, it recently switched to 900 or 1000. When I design sites I set them around 900 pixels.

I checked, and my viewing width is set at 1024x768, so it could handle an 800 or 900 pixel width on a website.

As was pointed out, Sam's site is set wider, at 1114 pixels.

I wouldn't count on every customer having theirs set up at 1200 or so. I'm sure it will be all over the place. You'll have some viewers with it set lower, like mine is set.

Here's an interesting link:

http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/
http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/static......ize.html

- Donald

P.S. I hope that the screen shot helps, Sam, because it seemed like you weren't understanding what others were seeing. That's why I showed you. Smile
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yes I was understanding Donald what you were refering too. I understand completely. agian I have spent many hours working on this site along with my web guy. I also understand that a lot of people are still in the dark ages - ok maybe not hte dark ages but are way behind the curve with computers and viewing sites and knowing how to view them or adjusting screen size.

here is the deal. over the last 2 weeks since it went live while at all my clients homes I asked them to go look at the site while I was there. and in each case the site looked perfect. not to big. so that's not only all my friends but multiple clients that all viewed the site and was perfect on their screen.

John-- I have no intention of changing anything as I am not reeiving tons of clients commenting that they can not view my site or that it is difficult to view. matter of fact a few clients were wowed by it and thought it was awesome compared to what I used to have.

so I don't really know what else to say. I like the site it looks great works great and people love it. so far only a few of you on the Café seem to not be able to view it. so I have about 50 people that I have asked to view it and they all can and then there are about 6 or 7 magicians that cant. I'm gonna go with the 50 or so clients and friends. LOL

I hope to have the first video of one of my tricks up inthe next 2 weeks for any one that cares Smile

thanks

sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My new website goes live in 3..2..1.. its live YEAH (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL