We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My new website goes live in 3..2..1.. its live YEAH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2751 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mike, problem is, Sam has 90 words on two and half lines. (See text on bottom of front page.)
The problem is not the background width, it's the layout of the text length that causes the page
to look stretched.

Research shows that reading slows and retention rates fall as line length begins to exceed the ideal width.
It's very hard for most to read a long string of text even if you not scrolling left.

Small text shouldn't be in one straight line all the way across a wide screen, should it?

I haven't checked but I bet you don't have over 15/20 words in a straight line on your sites.

Sam has nearly forty. You don't think the width of that text is off?

Again, the site looks great. And I'm not trying to be rude. Just trying to simply point out that
no matter how good it looks or how large and new the computer is, if reading it is unkind, they
will hold it against you.

They may even think you didn't have enough money to hire a good layout guy. Now that would be bad. Smile

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Wow - this seems like some kind of record for the number of views and posts on TMC for a website. So congratulations Sam for causing such a commotion. I notice that you post prices on your website. Is that your general strategy, or has your disability in hearing factored into this decision. How has it worked for you? It seems most opinions are to avoid price up front until you have an opportunity to verbally discuss what you are offering. Also, I want to say that the website looks appealing to me. If others offer technical advice or marketing advice that provide small improvements so be it, but in general I am sure it will serve you well.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
The text on the bottom of my site is basically there for the SEO reasons and has helped boost that rating
I am not concerned if people read it or not as the site is fun to view and if they want read it they will and if not they wont not worried

as for the prices - Charliecheckers-- no I don't like to post prices for multiple reasons however for my standard school shows that do not change meaning I don't customise the show. the show is this price and that's that. schools also don't want to deal with all that negotiating anyway. they want to know upfront if they can afford this or what they have to spend.
that being said over the next 2 weeks you will see a link showing the schools how they can get discounts and even a free show.

as for being deaf nope not a factor in any of the pricing info. I have however struggled with how to advertise I am deaf as one very very wierd thing happens every time some one finds out I am deaf thru my site or an email-- they all think I cant talk!! some will actually email me asking how do I communicate with the kids in my show. I reply telling them I talk to them. they reply back saying "how do you talk to them when your deaf" What the heck are they thinking HELLO! deaf means I can not hear not that I can not talk.
I kind of understand their thinking but Duh. so its been kind of hard to advertise my deafness. still working on perfecting the right way but have had some success with my mailers dealing with the issue. plus we are going to be adding more videos showing me TALKING so that should help as well.

I don't list prices for my corporate or churches or anything else for that matter as many times I need to customise the show for them.
some what 3 illusions some want 4 some want 1 hour while others want the full 90 minutes. this changes what I charge.

as I just began my mailings for the school shows I will let you guys know what I see happen as I get more schools visiting my site.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
theinternetguru
View Profile
Elite user
I hacked the Café but I still only have
426 Posts

Profile of theinternetguru
I own a web development firm, with clients that include a number of national and international brands.

The basic strategy in web development at this time is to create sites that accommodate a desktop of 1024 pixels wide or larger. It is still the case that the large majority of web traffic happens at this resolution (though a growing percentage are at a higher resolution). Desktops can be configured to display a higher resolution, but many people (esp. people with laptop displays) will not set them higher. Taking into account the width of the edges and scroll bar of a browser, a savvy web developer will shoot for a page roughly 980 pixels in width. This guarantees the site will fit horizontally on more than 85% of all desktops without scrolling. Your site is constructed at 1114 pixels wide. This means that, for a great many people who visit this site, they will need to scroll right a little bit to see everything. If you think that your target demographic is a corporate client with good technology, you are probably alright. Either way, it's not going to mean a significant loss of content, but it will annoy some people, and it does look like your web developer didn't make the right call.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I disagree I think he did make the right call. I understand your point however in six months a lot of those people will be buying new computers that will view my site as designed. also more and more sites are being designed at the same size as mine. its the new norm.

any who the truth of the matter is that you can only please some of the people some of the time and some of the poeple all of the time but you can not please all the people all the time

such is life

I love the site and have gotten great feed back from clients. oddly I have also not heard one comment from friends or clients that the site is too big! I continue to as my clients (even when I am at their house for the show) to go to my site so that I can see what it looks like and it looks perfect. I am really surprised at all the hype from those here at the Café.

I completely understand there are those that are still in the dark ages with their computers but for the most part they are not my clients.

thanks for the info and comments

sam
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
994 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I have a 22" monitor and I had to scroll back and forth about 2 1/2" to read the text on the page. I don't consider myself to be in the dark ages of the computer world.

Nothing personal, just thought I'd let you know what happened to me.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 11:01, JoJo wrote:
I have a 22" monitor and I had to scroll back and forth about 2 1/2" to read the text on the page. I don't consider myself to be in the dark ages of the computer world.

Nothing personal, just thought I'd let you know what happened to me.

HI JoJo,

Size matters not. Really Smile Its the resolution that matters. What resolution is your monitor set at?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2751 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 09:34, Sam Sandler wrote:

I completely understand there are those that are still in the dark ages with their computers but for the most part they are not my clients.
sam

But do you understand why they are not your client?

Tom

PS. LOL--Sorry Sam, I just had to.
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
LOL
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Tom that was funny! and YES I understand

sam
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sam, I just want to chime in. Why aren't you listening to the many members regarding the resolution size, are you deaf?

LOL Just kidding.
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 23:35, Sam Sandler wrote:
The text on the bottom of my site is basically there for the SEO reasons and has helped boost that rating
I am not concerned if people read it or not as the site is fun to view and if they want read it they will and if not they wont not worried

I do not see many key words.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That is a beautiful first page! Smile

Decomp
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Dynamike- seriously though I am not listening as they are the only ones that seem to have a problem and its only a few of them. I have now seen my site on over 100 computers from clients to family memebers and no one has a problem viewing my site. it comes up correct on every single computer, ipad, iphone and laptop. I cant help it if a few have the resolution set so big.

also my site is what the current trend is. more then 85% of people view websites with higher resolution (as in my site size - higher then 1024) and preditcted that this number will continue to rise over the next 6 months! so I think I'm good to go.

as for "key" words I am not the expert but my webguy I am working with assures me that this is fine and he has done a lot of work on the back side to get me good ratings. we are still working on it and hope to have the whole site completed by end of september with my blog, trick of the month video, and some other cool things

Decomposed-- thanks!

sam
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sam, what do you think people in your city type in the search box if they want a magician if they do not know you?
MikeMasaveg
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MikeMasaveg
Quote:

thanks for the info and comments

sam

I think you need to tell your "webguy" to get out of the dark ages. No one uses tables for layout anymore that went out in the early 2000's. Tables are for tabular data, formatting and layout should be done with CSS. I would also have him take a look at the Greatest Show on Earth graphic. The tops of the letters are shifted to the right about 10 pixels or so. The slider graphic is nice however the last 1/4 of it falls below the fold and the text on the site is too small.

But I don't have to scroll.

Mike
Custom Web Sites for Magicians
www.themanwhocodes.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yea we noticed the graphic being slightly off not sure how that happened as it was fine before.

as for the css I will ask about it but believe he is useing that.

what text is too small? the stuff on the slider page or in the site itself!

thanks
sam
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have a new wide screen monitor, the page does not fit my monitor in height, it is to large for the screen. It is not so much having to scroll to get the complete picture, but not being able to take in th complete screen all at once. If you could only see a painting in sections and not other way, would it not bother you a some.

Also, with a wide screen, I am paying to get a full picture, you are 1" short on each side of my sreen. Can you fill that up with something. My sreen resolution is 1360 x 768.

The slicing of the your name is in the middle on your other pages.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
First its normal for websites to have to scroll up and down

as for the sides being emmpty no cant fill them with anything as you see the whole site as it was designed. there is supposed to be space at that resulotion

and yes I have emailed my guy about the name thing being sliced and hopefully he will fix it soon!!!

thanks
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
In one of the photos you can actually see the girl peeking out from the curtain.

There is a really bad photoshop edit. The girl photoshopped in is horizontal and it doesn't look like she is even standing beside you. Its like she is floating in the air or something. This needs to be fixed asap.

Your name ( logo ) is blocking some of your hands.

If you stare and stare at the photo of you with the wand in your mouth. I mean REALLY stare at it until your eyes go blurry and out of focus that black space of the wand makes it look like you have no teeth. It took my eyes about 2 minutes of staring to go out of focus but you never know... some of your clients might already have blurry eyes and think you have no teeth.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
The Drake-- thanks for the info I will get my webguy to correct all of this asap!! LOL thanks for the smile!

sam
ps part of the problem of having the girl stand next to me is that no one ever sees... ME!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My new website goes live in 3..2..1.. its live YEAH (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL