The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where should I start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
729 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
The 3 Shell Game are usually discussed in the Gambling section of the Café.

However, check out the review of several shells here:
http://sexymagicreviews.wordpress.com/20......j-c-sum/

There are shells on Bill Palmers museum site as well.

A discussion on Shells will get you another thread as long as this one.. Smile
A Vernet plastic shell set, just like an alluminum Cups set, will serve you well as a beginner set.
It's good to want to learn ALL of it, I've been there. Not to discourage you or anything, but since you are new, take it slow. Although things like CnB and shells are easy to learn, but take years to master.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 23:20, Hugokhf wrote:
If I also want to learn the 3 shell game, are the cups good with that too? or should I get proper shell?

Learn the cups and balls. It's not something that you will do overnight. It's a journey. Work out a decent routine. It doesn't have to be a long one. It doesn't have to be the Vernon routine. But learn a decent routine. Polish it. Perform it in front of as many different audiences as you can find.

Then learn the shell game. The shell game has its own issues.

Don't go off into too many directions at once.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hugo - while it's good to be enthusiastic about some of these different effects, I would caution you not to attempt too much at once. The cups and balls, the bowl and the 3 shell game are all great routines, but you don't want to spread yourself too thin. While they appear similar, they are all different in their own ways and each require specific study. The cups and balls alone is something that people spend years working on.

It's great to compare the different effects in order to see what you enjoy, but as you can see there's a wealth of information on the cups and balls alone. You don't want to buy a bunch of props, texts and DVDs simply for the sake of having them; that can become overwhelming. I found that starting small and building my up and into more advanced things worked best. I started with the Ammar DVDs and a set of Johnson cups, before buying the Mendoza combo cups from Donnie and eventually a set from Brett Sherwood.

Take the time to thoroughly study the Ammar DVDs. I know it's only two discs but it took me many months of daily practice to master the material on those, and I'm still learning. My suggestion would be to start with the cups and balls. You will learn all kinds of things about routining, using various sleights, etc. That will give you a solid foundation to build on.

Enjoy the journey! It's a fun one Smile

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 3:00am
I took too long to type; Bill beat me to it. Ignore my silly message and listen to the master himself Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you can, find a mentor to work with.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
If you ask nicely, Pete Biro will fly to Hong Kong on his own dime and teach you personally.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Sorry I confused you guys.
I thought that 3 shells and C&B is the same thing before.
and the one that I want to learn at first is 3 shell.

I guess I will make my priority list before moving forward

thanks again for all the help
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Hugo, based on your extensive questions here regarding impromptu looking routines and your wish to use bowls or coffee cups, the Shell Game is not what you're looking for. You can still do a "one ball, three cup" routine very similar to the shell game, but the handling is so vastly different, that it seems to me that you should stick with Cups and Balls moves and build the routine you want using those techniques.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Okay thanks
well big cups and balls is more visual anyway, that's my whole point

thanks again,
I am just a confused child
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pick one and work on it. What you learn on one will probably help you on the other.

Most of the good shell game workers are also good cups and balls workers and vise-versa. However, learn one of them really well first.

I don't know if you play a musical instrument. The same principle applies, though. Once you have learned the basics of the instrument -- how to make the sounds come out of it and how to produce a good tone, and you get a few basic songs under your belt, then you start learning "real" music. At some point, you will start composing your own material.

It's the same with magic. You learn a few basic sleights. You learn tricks that use them. These help you get a feel for "selling" a trick to an audience, that is, communicating with them. At some point, you start working on the "classics." Then, at a point farther along, you work out your own routine for the classics.

When I was working at Magic Island, I had the great honor and pleasure of being the MC at the big room for a couple of weeks. Our headliner was Johnny Thompson. Johnny has some really great thoughts about magic. One of the things he told me was that when he was younger, magicians learned the art and craft differently than we do today.

First, we started with small magic for small groups of people -- one or two people, maybe as many as three or four. At some point, when we could "sell" those small tricks to small groups, we started doing larger magic -- what they called "drawing room conjuring" or parlor magic -- basically stand-up magic -- where we were "selling" our magic to larger groups -- 20, 30, or even more people.

Then, at a certain point, it came time to "sell" the act to stage crowds -- 100, 200, 300 people.

It's a matter of learning how to communicate with larger and larger groups of people.

You have to grow with your magic.

If you learn too much at once, you can become overstuffed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 15:05, Donnie Buckley wrote:

Thanks Paul!
I think that you will find that the smooth rounded top & wide, shallow saddle on the Foxy cups is going to help you with the moves taught in the Ammar instructions. Like any other craft, using tools that are made properly is important to lowering your learning curve and producing a quality job.
And if you are ever interested in upgrading your cups, you can move to Foxy 3 Cups or Foxy 3 Combo Cups and other than adjusting to the new heavier weight in the Foxy 3 Cups, you don't have to learn the feel of the cups all over again.

And welcome to the Café!
Donnie

Donnie,

Just received my aluminium foxy 2.5 set, what a lovely starter set it is, they will definitely encourage plenty of practice! Thanks for a brilliant service, it's unusual to get such reasonably priced shipping from the US. I will definately be in touch soon I already have my eye on more balls and once I'm up to speed I'll be back for some black foxy 3's (will be my treat for when I'm at a performance level)

Kind regards,
Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where should I start? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL