The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Prestige (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I saw the Prestige once. This means I never have to watch it again. In my opinion a truly horrible film. But then the book is quite bad as well.

The Tesla scenes were great however. It would have been a much better film had they dropped the stupid magician stuff and just made a bio pic about Tesla
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 00:00, Payne wrote:
I saw the Prestige once. This means I never have to watch it again. In my opinion a truly horrible film. But then the book is quite bad as well.

The Tesla scenes were great however. It would have been a much better film had they dropped the stupid magician stuff and just made a bio pic about Tesla

Now HERE is a man who tells it like it is. Great job Master Payne!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 00:00, Payne wrote:

I loathed this movie and the other "magic" movie that came out in the same year, the horrible The Illusionist. I can't even stand the phoney name--The Prestige. I did not like the Tesla stuff either. Tesla's life is interesting enough without all the phoney-baloney mystical crap that was pulled out of nowhere.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Edison's Medicine

I love "The Illusionist", won't ruin it but if you watch the director's cut all the way through you'll might get something different from the movie,

Also Edward Norton as Eisenheim shows more emotion with just a hand gesture than many performers have in their entire show
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Crimlock
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Crimlock
Both are great movies!!!
Crimlock
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Crimlock
Both are great movies!!! Anybody know about other movies like these??
Crimlock
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Crimlock
Sorry something went wrong...
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5266 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
There really are no other quality films about magic, which is a shame considering the wealth of colorful characters who populated the art. Here are a couple of other related films, though not quite the same (from http://thechicagocode.net/the-best-10-mo......all-time ):

House of Games (1978) directed by David Mamet. Ok not really a magic film, but features a performance of one of my all time magic heroes, Ricky Jay. Ricky is one of a group of con-men in this Hitchcockesque thriller. Mamet, as always does a great job in capturing mood and the movie explores human motivations and behaviours. Ricky Jay is of course no stranger to the big screen, with roles in the Bond Movie, Tomorrow Never Dies, Magnolia, Buck Howard, The Prestige and many more. This, I believe however was his first venture onto the ‘big screen.’

Lord of Illusions (1995) directed by Clive Barker and based on his novel of the same name. This film is notable for its magical references. Not only does the ‘evil’ lead character Nix have supernatural powers, but his disciples have them. One of his disciples, Swann, after Nix’s early demise (prior to his later resurrection) uses his magical powers to become a popular illusionist. The staged magic sequences are well done, there is a cameo appearance by the great Billy McCombe and the Magic Castle is represented as a place of secrets. The basic concept that ‘magic is a dangerous reality’ is a great theme for the Bizarre Magicians out there.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 17:58, Crimlock wrote:
Both are great movies!!! Anybody know about other movies like these??

I liked the movie Houdini played by Tony Curtis. Haven't seen it in years.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
While not movies Simon Drake did some very interesting TV work years ago

You Tube Simon Drake if you haven't seen it, some of it's a a bit dated looking as it's almost 30 years old but some of it is brilliant
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Simon Southern Moss
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Simon Southern Moss
Has anyone seen "Magic", starring Anthony Hopkins, or "The Wizard of Gore"? Here is a description of the latter from IMDB

..."Montag the Magnificent (Glover) is a master illusionist who performs at underground venues, selecting female volunteers from his rave-like audiences. To their hysteria, it appears he's dismembered their bodies, but his sleigh of hand has fooled them. However, female bodies show up dead from the same wounds performed on stage. Investigators are baffled, and the chase to find the killer begins"
Gaaargh
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gaaargh
There are a few magic-related movies in development right now.

Now You See Me

The thriller Now You See Me focuses on a team of illusionists that pull bank heists during their performances while staying a step ahead of the FBI. Louis Leterrier directs from a script by Boaz Yakin and Edward Ricourt. Starring Amanda Seyfried, Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman.

The Arcanum

The fantasy-adventure The Arcanum is set in the year 1919. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, Marie Laveau and H.P. Lovecraft are re-cast as fighters of a powerful evil force. The group travels to New York to fight off demons and angel killers. Randall Wallace will direct with Thomas Wheeler adapting from his own debut novel.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
"Houdini" with Tony Curtis is definately an entertaining popcorn movie.

It's also riddled with inaccuracies, needless to say, but still entertaining.

Of the two, I'd say the Illusionist had better storyline and "grace" while the Prestige had more... well, twists. Cheap twists.

Still doesn't keep me from watching them to psych myself up for perfomance.
Be the magician you're pretending to be.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
In my opinion the prestige is a great film regarding its scenario.
While the scenes are not well organised (I had to watched it twice to understand some things) the whole movie presents even with a little hyperbole
the madness the hunting of secrets can cause(of course not only in the field of magic).Probably in magic due to the widely spread of magic business, secrets are a lot easier to be learned and as a result we can not totally feel it.

about the words used dividing each routine in 3 phases, while I had not ever heard them before too,I believe that we actually use them without realising it.
of course we can have great effects without that third part of the "prestige" but these effects that conclude with that moment of surprise, of the unexpected
stay always in memory.
ThinkThurston
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThinkThurston
Edward Norton in The Illusionist nail his performance of a magician. Ekuth -- great line, "be the magician you're pretending to be."
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
I've heard somewhere that the terms 'The Pledge, The Turn, The Prestige' are real.. But simply got lost over the years, if you think about it, indeed, EVERY trick consists out of 3 phases.. I find it quite hard to believe that the brilliant minds that came up with certain illusions never realised that all of them had 3 things in common.

What I've heard about Tesla is: He was the better scientist, but Edison was the better businessman..
And about the 'REAL Transported Man', I seriously hope if it would ever be possible, no magician would go that far to entertain an audience.. You wouldn't have to, since everyone would believe it's a double..

The Prestige: Great story, real illusions, fictional ending..
The illusionist: Corny story, exagerated illusions (orange tree for example), clever ending
Houdini's Death Defying Escapes: Brilliant, why? Because finally the public is notified that Houdini didn't die in the Water Torture Cell..
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
I love both movies. At first I like the Illusionist better because I thought it had a cleaner story line. Yes the Orange Tree was exaggerated but do you think that the original effect would thrill audiences?

I didn't like the Prestige as much at first - but the more I watched it the more depth I discovered - there are so many layers and each time I understand more.

Not only did I think both movies were good - but good for Magic - I remember there being a renewed respect for the art and craft of Magic in the public back in 06.
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
What's not to love about the Prestige? Michael Caine as magician. Speaking of which, he does this again in "Is Anybody There?" (2008). He plays an aging magician who doesn't want to go to the retirement home, but he befriends a little kid and teaches him magic. So that's nice.

"Houdini" with Tony Curtis is so funny. It's like all the myths around the man put into one film. It's historical fiction as much as there was a man named Houdini who did escapes and illusions. That's where the truth ends.

"Magic" with Anthony Hopkins is just creepy. I liked it because Anthony Hopkins is a great actor (and Burgess Meredith, aka the Penguin from the Adam West "Batman" is in it as an old guy). I guess you'd call it a thriller.
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Thanks for the head up on the Michael Cain movie - I will add it to my netflix cue.

I would actually like to see a come back of the illusionist and the Prestige.

I believe those two films were just as good for magic as anything else out there!
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I agree with Sean-Paul. I enjoy both of the movies. I like to watch them even with inaccuracies in them. The stories are entertaining for one that enjoys mysteries. They feature magicians which is rare and for the most part the acting is good.
and I am definitely going to find that other Michael Cain movie, I love his stuff!

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Prestige (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL