The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Prestige (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, I liked both the book and the movie. But then, one of my hobbies is trying to get others to suspend disbelief...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
I've seen the movie. It was OK but I really have not had the urge to watch it again.

Mike
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Loved the film but then again I think everything Nolan has done is awesome.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have enjoyed most of the movies mentioned... The old Houdini move was probably my least favorite; I enjoed more when I was a kid.

I have been waiting for the book "Carter Beats the Devil" to be made into a movie, I really liked the book.

Bruce
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
The old Houcini with tony Curtis sure looks clunky now, but I remember so clearly watching it at the drive-in theatre with my parents when I was six. Lots of fun to watch it again so many decades later.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Once I became aware of Houdini's actual life story, the old Houdini's movie became kind of a let down... And the character Otto kind of creeped me out... LOL

Bruce
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I know. It was more a nostagia trip than anything else... the box falling through the ice, etc.
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
The prestige is one of the best films I've ever seen
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I didn't even know there was a book that preceded the movie until seeing this thread. I enjoyed the movie, but as is the case with many movies the chances are strong that I wouldn't have liked it as much if I had read the book first. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.

As an aside, I can think of only one movie I liked better than the book: Hunt for Red October. The book uses about 475 pages to tell a story that could have been told in 275. With almost every page I turned I was thinking to myself "Yeah, Tom, I get it, you did your research - and you did it well. Back to the story, please."

But the movie, for someomne like me with an interest in magic and no knowledge of the book's existence, was very entertaining. I dreaded David Bowie's performance (I'm not a fan) but thought that we was amazingly good in it. There really wasn't anything about the movie I didn't like. Then again, to be completely open, I really liked Now You See Me despite all its ridiculous plot holes (my favorite of many being that the whole convoluted bridge switch plan doesn't work unless the French girl steals a car), so I'm probably predisposed to liking any movie with magic in its plot unless it's an unequivocal disaster, which The Prestige definitely wasn't.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
I prefer now you see me
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1027 Posts

Profile of Jerry
"Carter Beats the Devil" is in developement hell, but may see the light of day as a movie.
Raisul Mushfeq
View Profile
New user
Bangladesh
12 Posts

Profile of Raisul Mushfeq
The movie was really great. Gave me so much inspiration to learn magic and be a magician.
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
I love the part in which the last death takes place (not to give any spoilers) its so awesome
Javier
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Javier
I didn't like it, really. Maybe because I didn't know it was SciFi. I prefer The Illusionist. Moreover, think that all the tricks done in this film were really done by the magicias at the XVIII-XIX century... wow! It astonish me!

Another film related and not very known can be: "Shade" about cheats at poker and, if you like the theme: "Pickpocket" from a french director. This last one is from the 60's, I believe, hard to find (I watched it with subtitles) but really nice.
"Next" is about a magician (Nicolas Cage) with real powers. Easy to watch.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
6.5 out of 10. It was okay!!
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
I really liked the movie, but I think that the Nikola Tesla's part is a little bit fantasious
Raisul Mushfeq
View Profile
New user
Bangladesh
12 Posts

Profile of Raisul Mushfeq
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, Javier wrote:
I didn't like it, really. Maybe because I didn't know it was SciFi. I prefer The Illusionist. Moreover, think that all the tricks done in this film were really done by the magicias at the XVIII-XIX century... wow! It astonish me!

The illusionist is the first movie that I have watched on magic and that got me interested to watch other movies on magic. I wish there were a lot more movies about magic like this.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Saw the prestige again
Actually I thin the tesla part is very real
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
This has been one of my favorite movies
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
75 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
I've watched the Prestige a number of times. I always enjoy the parallel set up in the beginning of the film between the canary and the transported man. One has to die every time you perform. I've also read the book which is different and yet quite fascinating in it's own way. That said, I prefer the Illusionist for the sense of wonder and awe it conveys about magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Prestige (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL