We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Price Increases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7340 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am recovering from a mild heart attack from a phone call to my silk supplier. Not really but the price of raw silk has doubled literally. It shows no signs of stopping increasing in price.

I simply cannot adsorb these kind of increases in the silk prices. I will do what I can to hold my prices low but I am not going to lose money making silks. I make too little as it is hemming and dyeing my own silk.

The prices are sill posted on the website but they should be only used as a guideline. If I have it already made, I will be able to do a better price than if I have to make it.

Sorry guys but this is reality of the devaluation of the US dollar all over the world. Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is probably time for importers and vendors to stop eating price increases in foreign made goods. The US dollar is simply not worth near what the mass media in the USA would have you believe. The government's "printing" of fiat money has destroyed its value in world markets. Buying a drunk another bottle of wine with borrowed money is hardly the solution. The acknowledgement of the very poor and still decaying US credit worthiness is a step toward at least recognizing reality. You can't spend what you don't have or consume what has never been produced, especially once your failure to produce and pay your bills is established and documented to the creditors. Real creditors (those who don't have to use US Dollars) cut you off.

Richard is certainly not the only supplier that has been eating price increases rather than passing them on to the customers. It is not unrealistic at all for magicians to look forward to 100% to 135% price increases in the very near future for many of the props they use. Even worse, many foreign suppliers no longer see America as a preferred customer and only fill orders to America through surpluses and idle capacity. Americans will see the wide availability of choices a going away thing. (Compare now how many vendors already have very reduced inventories of colors, sizes and quantities of silk! Read "Not in Stock" as "No Longer Offered Here".)

We at DoveLite have not adjusted prices since October and then it was only half of what should have been done. Fortunately we had a good deep inventory that we started building up in 2006 with the obvious election results and the Congressional disaster now being repaired in subsequent elections. Recovery could easily take more than a decade. (Don't forget that a senator takes at least 6 years to replace.) Also international sales have taken advantage of the shoddy US Dollar to deplete that inventory.

Stock up on what you can. Otherwise, fasten your seat belts and hang on. This ride is going to take a long time to mend. (It is not just silk. Look at other goods like plastic, cotton, metal, paper, painted goods, and modern electrical and electronics.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Next price shock. Freight that used to be $160.00 is now $210.00. The dollar is real trouble in world markets.
Bob Sanders

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
My wife works as a logistics manager for a company that supplies the Big 3 and the Whirlpool Corporation, and she has seen a huge 215% increase on her air freight costs, and something like 115% increase on her ground shipping costs. It is ridiculous! She also has the issue of dealing with the exchange values of the U.S. Dollar against the Swiss Franc, which is all over the place. The USD to the Swiss Franc is their standard, so to speak, but she also deals with the Euro and the GBP.

There are some industries in which I would really hate to be a business these days.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7340 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Well, those people that wanted change got it! Now I am hoping for a change so we have a hope.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I hope so too, Richard.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
So, is it that the silkworms are scarce, or the low paid labor is demanding cost of living? I doubt that. Is it the Government in China saying that they have a monopoly and just wan-tanly (no pun) charging more?
Does the unstable atmosphere of the US possible defaulting have everyone just charging more?
I never understood this.
----------
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Ian:

No. It's just that the dollar isn't worth anything.

It's inflation at it's finest.

The Fed. (started WAY before President Obama) started printing money with no collateral behind it.

The more they print, the less it's worth. And prices will continue to climb.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-18 01:07, makeupguy wrote:
Ian:

No.. it's just that the dollar isn't worth anything.

it's inflation at it's finest.

The Fed. (started WAY before President Obama) started printing money with no collateral behind it.

the more they print.. the less it's worth.. and prices will continue to climb.

This is true...

When I was still little and we came to the U.S. for short vacations, the value of the U.S. Dollar versus out Peseta was so high that we pretty much came home with as much, if not a little more money that we left with after exchanging currencies. Today, if people in Europe buy items from the U.S. - regardless of the price, they can really save a lot of money in different ways because the value/worth of the U.S. Dollar is so low.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Not only is the USA printing money with no backing, but it produces nothing to trade for foreign goods and services. Economics is based upon two or more groups producing a surplus of different goods and trading with each other. The USA is a net consumer, not a producer! It has been many years since the concept of productivity instead of consumption has been supported by our national leadership. A freeloader society can only consume as long as there is other peoples' savings to squander. We have gotten there. (Remember when Social Security deposits, called "Forced Savings", were preserved in a trust fund?) The advanced nations of the world don't need US dollars because they buy nothing of value. You can't buy what isn't produced and, given a choice, you certainly prefer not to buy inferior goods.

Fortunately, my inventory of silk was bought at old prices. Unfortunately, they cannot be replace at twice the price. By summer we will have to adjust our prices to reflect the failing US dollar in world markets. This is a time to stock up at current prices on imported magic props or Maalox. You are going to need one or both if you wait.

Wait until you see the prices changes in imported superior produced and engineered goods later this year. Remember that the US Government specifically EXCLUDES food and fuel/energy prices for reported statistics on losses of the value of the US dollar in commerce! And you know the direction of change there, unless you still have a supplier of $1.80/gallon gasoline. The switch from using GNP to GDP favors consumption rather than production. Enjoy the ride!

Don't let the cat sleep on your silks! They are an investment.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- With my 43 years experience in the import/export industry, America has NEVER been in this poor a position in world trade in my lifetime. We were always a nation of producers before.
Bob Sanders

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6727 Posts

Profile of bowers
You are so right Bob. I don't think we will ever recover from this. There has got to be some change. Starting from you know where.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
O.k., dumb question from someone who knows nothing about raw silk. I was looking at a thread in another forum where someone asks about silk streamers. I took it upon my self to look at the various silk names that importers use and I had no idea what I was looking at. Is there a technical name for the type of silk you buy that is used in magic?
The reason I am asking is, I am close to Mexico and have access to importers of various goods. I am most familiar with musical instruments and I know that in Mexico they pay less for an import than if it entered this country through Los Angeles. In fact, quite a sizable difference. I can make inquiries to fabric importers but I need to know what I'm talking about. This is a shot in the dark but something might come of it.
Mexico has a trade agreement with the US and a lot of stuff from China goes through Mexico. Also, the Dell computer I am using is made in a factory in Juarez, Mexico. The same factory also makes Hewlett Packard.
When I say make, I mean they are assembled in Juarez from parts from China.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
From Internet ads (some even from my own dealer customers) several things post a red flag for me. My suggestion is that when you see them, shop elsewhere.

Sizes measured diagonally - (A typical gimmick to over price smaller silks)

Silky like ...

Silk blend ...

Satin silk ...

Handrolled hems ...

Silk from a non-Asian country (Often are not silk at all!) - should be China, Japan, Thailand, India (And there are still differences!)

Assorted color choices - "effort will be made to give you your color choice" (usually means "we don't actually sell silk on purpose" "When we have a resonable inventory of silk it is a fluke. We really don't have a reliable supplier of good silk.")
Bob Sanders

Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
You did not read my question. Is there a technical name for the type of silk you buy that is used in magic? This was not internet ads. I googled silk importers and silk mfgs., who sell raw silk in bolts and in bales, not in sizes measured diagonally. Habutai, habotai, pongee, or any other names, which one?
Habotai is used for scarves. Habotai can be found as light as 5 mm and as heavy as 12 mm. Is it habotai?
Thank you
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The type of silk you are looking for is commonly called "China silk" or "Habotai" it comes in different weights called mommes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21856 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 18:37, spartacus wrote:
You did not read my question. Is there a technical name for the type of silk you buy that is used in magic? This was not internet ads. I googled silk importers and silk mfgs., who sell raw silk in bolts and in bales, not in sizes measured diagonally. Habutai, habotai, pongee, or any other names, which one?
Habotai is used for scarves. Habotai can be found as light as 5 mm and as heavy as 12 mm. Is it habotai?
Thank you

Never heard of silk as being referenced using these names. Usually, they are referenced by the country they come from. China is the biggest manufacturer of raw silk.

Silk used in magic usually comes from Japan and Italy. Countries that have entered into supplying silk in the last 20 or so years is China and India. Japan and Italy silk is the best at finishing the silk in color and sewing.

If you have run into clothing silk, that is totally different and very heavy over silk used in magic.

I may add, that a smart business man, will never real what he knows about buying product, as this would be infringing on his business. Just go into any retailer and ask who is all the companies they order their merchandise from, I don't believe you will get that information very easily.

It is like saying, I don't want to buy from you, I want to make my own or start my own store and run you out of business. Now, I understand, this is not what you are saying, this is only an example, nothing reference toward you personally.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 19:04, Payne wrote:
The type of silk you are looking for is commonly called "China silk" or "Habotai" it comes in different weights called mommes.

Thank you, that's what I thought when I read it was usually used with scarves. The lightest momme is 8 and the heaviest is 12. Sent you pm
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21856 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 20:11, spartacus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 19:04, Payne wrote:

Thank you, that's what I thought when I read it was usually used with scarves. The lightest momme is 8 and the heaviest is 12. Sent you pm

Most magic silk is 8 momme and below.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Thank you for your response, Mr. Hegbli. The three names I cited above are types of China silk, Habotai is used in the production of scarves. I am not asking for respondents to reveal their business secrets, or proprietary information. I am responding to the OPs concern about the price of silk he uses and the manufacturing cost to produce silks for the magic trade.
My initial response was informational, letting people know that imports from China via Mexico have a lower tariff rate than imports through Los Angeles.
Also, in the same light, someone interested in supplying silks to the trade might consider manufacturing in Mexico where the Mexican minimum wage is $4 per DAY. The factory's in Juarez, Mexico pay approximately $7 to $10 a day for the assembly of your computers and other appliances for the American market. I know that clothing and other cloth goods come out of Mexico. I believe Levis are still made there. So it would not be that hard to find someone to cut and hem silk products.
Again, thank you Mr. Hegbli, I appreciate your knowledge of the magic trade and your thoughtful insights into our mutual interests.
This will be my last post regarding this subject as I have been contacted by someone interested in what I have to offer.
I am placing a link about manufacturing costs in Mexico. If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, I suggest you contact the Mexican Consulate or trade association.

http://catherine-a-traywick.com/2008/10/......-mexico/
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Silk price increases are not related to labor costs anymore than rising prices are for gasoline, groceries and other products. It is the devastating decline of value in world markets of the US dollar and a very predictable consequence of lack of leadership and fiscal policy.

Unless America goes back into business and produces more than it consumes, it will continue to worsen.

Ignorance of economics in the USA carries a very high cost and it is cumulative!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Price Increases (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL