The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Peek-A-Boo Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wcoach
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of wcoach
This is a new magic deck of cards just released by Bob Solari http://www.bobsolarimagic.com/shop/index......ory_id=0 and MAK Magic http://www.makmagic.com/product-popup.asp?prodid=P2738 "The Peek-A-Boo deck is the most amazing marked deck on the magic scene today. It is a simple to use. You will know instantly the thought of card without seeing the face. There are no difficult codes or marking system to learn. You don't have to memorize anything! Instantly read the card's identity." So since this is a new release from Bob Solari I had to get it and see what it was about.
Well I received it on Monday and I used it Thursday night. This is the easiest marked deck I have ever come across. I combined the "Peek A Boo" deck with another effect I was already doing and the "Peek A Boo" deck turned the effect into a winner. I used the "Peek A Boo" deck as in a reverse invisible deck routine. I had many compliments afterwards. There are many other tricks taught on the DVD that the "Peek A Boo" deck can be used for. I also think that you can come up with your own handling as the "Peek A Boo" deck is very easy to read the marked cards. You will say to yourself, "Why didn't I think of that!" It is that good. Another Bob Solari effect that works like magic. Give this one a try, you will like it, it is a worker, no reset required.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Glad you are happy with it, but, this type of deck was discussed wayyy back in The Jinx and a decade earlier in The Sphinx.

I am NOT implying that Mr. Solari's method is the same. I am merely mentioning that published methods that achieve this go back at LEAST 80 years and perhaps more.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Not to hijack the thread but I recently stumbled upon McCabe's Marking System, which sounds interesting as well - anyone with a detailed view on this? PM welcome since this thread is about another product....
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I just received a Peek A Boo Deck. While it has its place, it is not the best choice for me:

- the location of the marks make handling/spreading the deck somewhat risky. It is much easier than I would have suspected for portions of the marks to be seen - spreads must be clean, and one little jostle of the cards will reveal the markings. With proper care, yes, it certainly can be done, but I instead took another deck, added markings in a slightly different location, and the risk was virtually eliminated.

- In return for a very clean method of knowing what card a spectator selects, you give up some flexibility - usually the case! For example, you cannot mix or cut the deck, though you can show it freely enough to disarm most suspicion; the markings are such that they must be completely hidden at all times, which with care, can be done; the deck can be used for no other purpose. There is another marketed effect that allows you to do this exact same method of knowing a peeked card, but the cards can be freely shown (well-hidden marks) and can be used for other effects (though you would have to re-set the deck in order to use it as intended).

- In its favor, there is absolutely no doubt in the mind of the spectator that they are looking at a 52 card deck and that each card is different. Nice and clean, here. Plus, they are easily the easiest marks to see of any marked deck I have encountered, which is a plus and a minus (see above).

The dvd includes 4 effects that are variations on the same theme (naturally). Probably the best is that last effect, used in conjunction with an Invisible Deck, in which the spec does not need to even name the thought of card. This same effect can be done with other gaff decks, but perhaps not quite so cleanly. There is no heat on the PAB Deck, and this is where the PAB Deck is used to its best advantage.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for the great review, Mark!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Peek-A-Boo Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL