The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Techniques for aging a prop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I have seen some wonderfully made props that have been very creatively aged, one of the aging techniques uses, what looks like white paint, which is lightly splattered on the surface to give a water damaged effect.

If you know or are familiar with what I am referring to do you know what product would be best to use and what would be the best method for applying it?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2380 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
My best method for aging props is to let me tour with them for 10 years. Short of that I would look up Chapter 11 of "Scenic Art for the Theatre" By Susan Crabtree & Peter Beudert which deals specifically on aging techniques.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Ray,

I know what you mean, nothing beats plain old wear and tear.

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to check out the book.

Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Check out my article on it. If nothing else, you can't beat the price! Smile

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=173&1
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Lend it to a fellow magician
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
George:

That is an absolutely brilliant article!

Thanks for sharing your insights and findings they are priceless!

Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 21:05, spcarlson wrote:
I have seen some wonderfully made props that have been very creatively aged, one of the aging techniques uses, what looks like white paint, which is lightly splattered on the surface to give a water damaged effect.

If you know or are familiar with what I am referring to do you know what product would be best to use and what would be the best method for applying it?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Steve

Steve, do you want to age metal or wood?
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
George, thanks again for the article. Actually, thank you for all of your articles! they are all great. now, go write some more. Smile

scott
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
245 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Here's some info on making a musical instrument appear old.. (We call our old beater guitars "Relics"). will pertain to wooden magioal props, too, depending on how they were finished.

http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
George's post is perfect.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Geez, Jay, coming from you that's quite a compliment. Thank you and I'm glad you liked it.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
There are a number of kits available for patinating. Crackle paint is also readily available and IMHO works really well. I have 100 year old paint in my house that is naturally crackled and the spray paint looks almost exactly the same. There is also a kit my wife uses for antiquing furniture that includes (for example) ivory paint and a small can of stain. The ivory is applied and let dry. Then the surfaces are randomly attacked with sandpaper. After that, the stain is applied and immediately wiped off. The stain "dirties" the paint and settles in the low spots left by the sandpaper. Very effective. A combination of crackle paint and the aging kit would work nicely as well.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Spcarlson,
Take a look at Doc O’Brien’s weathering powders: http://www.micromark.com/ search #81632. The powders are available in 12 colors, self-adhesive, & non-toxic.
You can create that weathered/worn appearance on just about any surface.

The Age-It-Easy product may prove useful on your props made of wood: http://www.micromark.com/ search #80873.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 10:35, Ms. Merizing wrote:
Spcarlson,
Take a look at Doc O’Brien’s weathering powders: http://www.micromark.com/ search #81632. The powders are available in 12 colors, self-adhesive, & non-toxic.
You can create that weathered/worn appearance on just about any surface.

The Age-It-Easy product may prove useful on your props made of wood: http://www.micromark.com/ search #80873.

The Doc O'Brien powders work very well - I use them mostly for my model railroading to age locomotives, cars, buildings, etc. If it is desired, you can even seal the object you are weathering with a light spraying of dull cote to help preserve it that way, and if the Dull Cote spray would not hinder/change the working/desired look of your prop(s). Highly recommended!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ms. Merizing, thanks for that link. I was a big fan of Rust All, but the local shops don't carry it. I think these will come in handy.

Dr. J... It seems as if we have something else in common. I modeled railroads for years. I had a 5' x 16' N scale layout, Burlington Route, Zephyrs, and Santa Fe. It was a loose representation of the town where I grew up. Sold it all when I moved, though. I've known for a long time that there are many areas that cross over between magic and modeling! Smile

On the topic of weathering products, Klamm Magic used to sell a bill aging compound. Maybe they still do. You could make gaffs from crisp new bills and then properly age them in a matter of minutes. Good stuff.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Thank you everyone for he great tips and links they are proving to be very helpful.

The project I am working on at present is wood but the products for aging metal are great for future reference. I never realized there was so much out there!

Steve
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Unless the products specifically alter the chemical compound of the material, i.e., expedited patina on metal, some of the products may only be superficial "cosmetic" changers. An example is the "Rust-All" product I used. It could be applied to plastic, wood or metal, painted or not, and have the same results... that of rust. It pays to experiment.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
All,
Once again the Café has come through!
I bought a "Haunted Key" for $5. And I was thinking it would be an antique looking key. As you are probably aware, it is a high gloss silver and looks brand new. Not the effect I wanted. I realize there are keys out there that are already "antique". But my way is cheaper and now it will be more fun to improve mine!

So, I am going to look into these and see what works best.

Besides, I am pretty sure the key I have is a hard plastic. It’s cheap enough where I can experiment.

Thanks guys!

Mike
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Mike, there are a number of methods for rusting metal. PM me and I can give you some tips.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Techniques for aging a prop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL