We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you store your gaff coins? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4893 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
YEA So get Your act together Man !!! Smile And yea I should be!I have only be doing it for 25-30 years or so!

And a good Libler Is a god send! Saves you a lot of Time looking trou coin purse! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
nathanernest
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of nathanernest
In a coin purse. I really shouldn't keep them there as I have bent shells :-(
---------
Nath
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2203 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 10:30, Mb217 wrote:
I like the Case Logic purses but always wished they had a way to sorta lock the coins in place in their sections because sometimes as the pouch moves around in your pocket the coins can dislodge and end up all over the place inside. Small problem but it would be nice to have a fix for that. Smile

Tamrac memory wallets have the fix you're looking for. A small flap meant to indicate to a photographer that the memory card in that slot has been used, but it works equally well to keep things from falling out.

See: http://www.pbase.com/inigmntoya/tamrac_memory_case
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9128 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yep, that'll work. Smile Thanks
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I wanted to chime in here in regards to something Jazzy posted. If you have photos of your coins for insurance purposes, keep these things in mind: 1. Silver coins are worth face value to insurance companes. Same goes with gold coins.
2: You'd better have some very detailed explanations and clear pictures to absolutely without a doubt prove to the insurance companies that your '50c silver coin' is actually a very expensive work of art.

We recently had somebody break in and all of my coins/gaffs that I didn't have on my person got stolen. I didn't get anything back from them even though we had insurance.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Sorry to hear about that Cablerock.
yes everyone should take careful detailed photo's of everything to prove
what you own as magical tools and not just coins as collectors.
[, x[, c/s coins, etc

Everyone here has some great ideas.
Thanks for everyone's input.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4893 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I had A bag Of magic stuff Taken Out of my Car 20 or so years ago! They broke Out A glass wing To do it! Smile ! It had a ton of coin stuff in it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
69 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/ite......25a820b3

found this coin case, you could store your good gaff coins on one side and then steel core or m coins in the centre and regulars on the right. Label them all in their cases and your coins are in one place. Then when you perform transfer to a purse.
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I have more gaffed coins than I will ever need. being a part time dealer I have pretty much kept one of everything for many many years.. So every contained I have been using I have out grown. Currently they are in a under the bed tote.. That is about 4 ft long 2 1/5 foot wide and about 4 inches deep. and the cover is bulging off the sides.. Almost time for another if I decide to keep anything else. =:O
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
If you want to get rid of any of them, let us (me?) know! Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2203 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2022, juggler357 wrote:
Https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/ite......25a820b3

found this coin case, you could store your good gaff coins on one side and then steel core or m coins in the centre and regulars on the right. Label them all in their cases and your coins are in one place. Then when you perform transfer to a purse.

That's similar to something I use (among other things). But those coin holders look like they're made for individual coins,so that's a lot of empty space.

I got these at Michael's for a few bucks. They're made for holding beads.

You can stack several half dollar size coins (like a 4 coin CSB set,a shell set, etc) in one of them. They fit nicely into these photo holders meant for 4x6 prints. Also available at Michael's and reasonably priced when they have a photo storage sale going on.
One holder holds several bead containers.

And several holders fit in the case.

The nice thing is they also can hold two decks of cards, packet tricks, or any number of other small magic items - knife sets, bill tubes, Quarter-Go boxes, etc.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Very nice and organized. I keep all my sets in coin purses which means I have ALOT of Coin purses. I have so many coin purses that I have a hard time remembering which coin set I kept in which purse. :o0

you have converted me to this new system. :o)

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

That's an awesome setup. Thanks for sharing!
Do any of those bead boxes also hold coin boxes? I imagine there are ones that hold dollar coins, too, rather than just halves.

I have to ask out of curiosity, though: do you use the colors in the box of boxes indicate anything? Or are they just for variety?
Thomas Frank
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Thomas Frank
I use the same thing as inigmntoya. Much better way to organize vs a big bucket of coins.

https://www.michaels.com/photo-and-craft......559.html

If it fits I put it the case. It's great to bin types of coins like clad, silver, foreign , gaffes, etc. I also put my okito boxes, card decks, packet tricks and utility devices. Within each bin I group in purses as much as I can. I got a bunch of small purses on ebay for around 2 bucks each.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Which kind of purses were they? $2 a pop seems like a nice price. Do you have a link?

I had a gift card to the container store, some number of years ago, and ended up getting one of these:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/3_case-......10022603
(It's a bit pricey, and I don't think I spent as much as that.)

It's nice because each of the drawers closes and locks securely (unlike some of the other ones that just slide in/are flimsy, should you try to move the whole setup), and has compartments for different sets of things to put in as groups. On the down side, most of the compartments are small, so while they hold some coins, boxes, or ziplock bags, they don't do purses or larger things too well.

That said, I think I like the setup that Thomas and Inigntoya have better - but I probably won't redo it all at this point.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
666 Posts

Profile of karnak
I use styrofoam egg cartons, in shallow drawers.

I cut off the carton’s lid, so it’s always open (like an ice cube tray) for easy coin access, and the tray’s low profile fits even in shallow drawers. Two or three of them, side by side in a single wide drawer, hold a lot of coins.

Each carton/tray’s dozen little “compartments” (which formerly each contained one extra-large egg) holds one set of coins: a CSB set in one, a 2C 1S in another, a stack of halves plus shell in another, even an Okito box in one.

So a dozen coin sets (or other small items) per “tray,” all E-Z in and E-Z out (no fumbling with lids, etc.). Very tidy and handy.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Thomas Frank
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Thomas Frank
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Which kind of purses were they? $2 a pop seems like a nice price. Do you have a link?

Sure you can probably find others but here is here is a link. They are not the best quality, but good enough for the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403614607397?mk......=artemis
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Thomas: Neat, thanks. It's nice to know what kind folks use that fits/combines well with the other parts of the storage system.

Karnak: interesting. Thanks for sharing! My worry with that would be that it's harder to move the whole thing (moving homes, changing rooms, just reorgannizing), since things aren't closed in as well, and they don't stack/combine in the same way. But definitely a great method to keep costs low for sets without larger pieces!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2203 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
That's an awesome setup. Thanks for sharing!
Do any of those bead boxes also hold coin boxes? I imagine there are ones that hold dollar coins, too, rather than just halves.

I have to ask out of curiosity, though: do you use the colors in the box of boxes indicate anything? Or are they just for variety?

There are some larger bead holders that will fit dollars. I haven't tried to put them in the photo holders. They may be too tall. Will have to check. I also haven't tried to put any okito boxes in them - they fit just fine by themselves in the photo holders.

The first two photo holders I bought were clear, so no color organization at all. I sort of use the colored ones but it's more remembering/knowing the orange one has CSB sets in it, than specifically deciding "I will use orange for CSB sets". It also helps to know "I have CSB sets in the photo case with the colored holders inside".
What I don't have is much of anything labeled with what they are - no Whitman Sampler decoder sheet. Smile
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Smile

“no Whitman Sampler decoder sheet.” Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you store your gaff coins? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL