The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » FYI: No more aluminum cases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Went to Lowe's today to buy another of those aluminum cases. Was informed that they no longer carry them. So if you think you may want one, I guess maybe you should check your local Lowe's ASAP. I'm gonna check Home Depot tomorrow. I know they carry aluminum cases as well, but I liked the ones from Lowe's better because they come with the "picker's foam." I think they are made by Task Force. Hope this helps.
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Keep in mind that this may also have been a local decision and not a nation-wide decision. National chains (in any industry) all carry a majority of the same items in all their stores, but often they will also carry things to cater to the needs of their locale that others will not have. I could be wrong in this case, but I just wanted to put that out there.
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 00:00, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
Keep in mind that this may also have been a local decision and not a nation-wide decision. National chains (in any industry) all carry a majority of the same items in all their stores, but often they will also carry things to cater to the needs of their locale that others will not have. I could be wrong in this case, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Nods. I searched their website, hoping to order online, before I posted. I didn't see it there either.
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Thanks for the info! It is a shame because those were great.

On the other hand, I have one of the plastic Task Force tool boxes for storing props in and it is great - plenty of room and places to put little objects if/when needed.

Check Harbor Freight for a possible substitute for the aluminum one though.
cwcoe
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cwcoe
Harbor Freight had them in two sizes last time I was in their local store.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
bbarefoot
View Profile
Regular user
Johnstown, PA
122 Posts

Profile of bbarefoot
I worked for Lowe's for about 8 years, so I can tell you, that all the decisions for what a store carries is made in North Carolina. If they quit carrying them in a store, they will be going in all of them, however due to the various distribution center locations, size, etc., some stores may carry them longer as their supply could be larger. Now, it could possibly be a model number change, and in a few weeks a new nearly identical case shows up. They did that to them once before, I got all of mine when the old model number was changed and they went on clearance.

Bradley
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I'll vouch for the Harbor Freight cases; they're bombproof, cheap (pricewise) and very very flexible.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
I have several cases from Harbor Freight. Give them a try.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have a case from Lowe's and one from Harbor Freight. The Lowe's case is a little heavier, and is made a little better. (IMO) I hate to see the cases discontinued. I hope Harbor Freight will continue offering them for a long, long time.
Mister Mystery
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 21:11, WhoDeanie wrote:
Went to Lowe's today to buy another of those aluminum cases. Was informed that they no longer carry them. So if you think you may want one, I guess maybe you should check your local Lowe's ASAP. I'm gonna check Home Depot tomorrow. I know they carry aluminum cases as well, but I liked the ones from Lowe's better because they come with the "picker's foam." I think they are made by Task Force. Hope this helps.

Home Depot still has $19 Plano toolboxes, here's mine with m......on in it.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Nigromante
View Profile
New user
I predict that I will have
67 Posts

Profile of Nigromante
I really like that last case available at harbor freight. I may have to pick one up soon. I have one from Lowe's and love it. One of the best cases I've ever bought.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I saw a beautiful wooden box at the camera store. used and on sale for $39.
Wonderful interior with wooden compartments and doors.

Wow it sure looked 1,000 times better than the aluminum cases that make us all look like nerds.

I almost bought it.
I coulda bought it.
I shoulda bought it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On 2012-03-13 14:55, Frank Starsini wrote:
I saw a beautiful wooden box at the camera store. used and on sale for $39.
Wonderful interior with wooden compartments and doors.

Wow it sure looked 1,000 times better than the aluminum cases that make us all look like nerds.

I almost bought it.
I coulda bought it.
I shoulda bought it.

Have you gone back for it yet?
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No. I might. I try to buy as little as possible these days that's magic related.
But it sure looked great.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Eric Tyree
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Eric Tyree
Agreed. I have never thought that those aluminum cases make good stage furniture. I have one but it is full of wires in my garage.
Eric Tyree
Magician, Juggler and Comedian
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I just got back from Harbor Freight tools and picked up a larger aluminum case and 2 smaller ones for my cards.

Ihor
Ihor
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a great difference in quality of these aluminum cases. I have one I bought from Ritz Camera about 10 years ago, that I paid $65.00 for. Then I saw a similar case at one of the Big Box hardware stores. It cost about $20.00. The rivets came out of the cheap one in about six months. The sides of the cheap one were made of a lower quality wood, covered with a thinner layer of aluminum.

The case from Ritz Camera is still in top shape, and I use it ALL the time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
I agree with Bill. You get what you pay for ( most of the time )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » FYI: No more aluminum cases (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL