The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cry for help. I feel so dirty! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Well not really crying but my scotch & soda is dirty from years of use. I'm wondering what I can use to clean them with out scratching them up. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Anything like flitz should clean them right up. Remember to use a soft cloth. Flitz will clean the copper and the silver parts without having to use a seperate cleaner for each.
I have cleaned mine numerous time and have not scratched them when cleaning them.
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Wow never heard of the stuff. googled it and there is paste and liquid. Which would you recommend?
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Personally I use the paste....just be sure to clean it all off so the paste does nt hang up. The other option I use is a polishing cloth known as Shino. It is made by Pioneer and usually available at music stores for polishing instruments or on amazon. It has a soft rouge cloth inside and a soft polishing cloth outside. I have one that is 20 years old and still cleans beautifully but just to be safe I bought another 6 months ago from a local music store.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I also use the paste.
You should have no trouble finding it or using it.
Great stuff.
Mobius
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
I use Maas Metal polishing cream. You can get it at Wall Mart. It works wonders. Makes a silver coin shine and can make a copper coin look like new.

http://www.worleyswonderjewelrycleaner.c......eam.html

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Well I went out today to find the flitz polish, with no luck I might add. I did find some thing at wally world that I had completely forgotten about, TarnX. A cotton swab dipped into this stuff and I have myself a brand spanking new S&S. I was so impressed I used in on a few of the quarter plugs I have and again, WOW! TarnX works amazingly well. Thank you all for the great advise. I know where to turn in a few days when I get in my PK rings... hint, hint.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What has always worked best for me is to throw my dirty scotch and soda in with a load of socks into the washing machine, when it is done, run it twice through the dryer, then go buy a new one. Actually, once I learned Bill Palmer's non gimmicked version, never needed to clean coins again or replace them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
I second the MAAS Metal Polish, it does wonders on coins! I've used it for years.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
TarnX, Brasso, and Silvo are abrasive cleaners. I don’t think they are so abrasive that they would wear a coin down with an occasional cleaning, but you should know that anyway.

For silver, Wright's Silver Cream is a mild but very effective cleaner; that's what I use for silver coins. Wright's also has a copper cleaner though for a few coins I just use the Silver Cleaner. Nev-R-Dull is a good cleaner for copper; not so certain about silver but it wouldn’t hurt it. Flitz will polish copper but it also leaves a coating of wax which would most likely prevent coins from ternishing. If you wanted to clean copper coins to get a fresh start on building a nice tarnish you might not want to use Flitz.

Jim
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Actually TarnX is a liquid and it is not abrasive in any way. It will simply remove the tarnish by a chemical reaction, but it will not leave your coins shiny. Other than that, most of the aforementioned products to bring out a shiny surface should suffice nicely. Then again, many people like the natural patina that eventually shows on a coin.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Here's what Donnie Buckley, president of Magpie Magic (RNT2) posted about TarnX:

Quote:
I would NEVER use Tarn-X on my Sherwood cups. Tarn-X is just too harsh - it contains thiourea (a leaching agent) and sulfamic acid (a strong cleaner that will remove rust!). I won't use a TarnX dip on ANY metals I care about.
In my experience, to polish the Sherwood Silver/Gold and Gold plated cups (including the chop cups), I use a mild silver polishing cream from the grocery store that includes a soft application sponge. I quickly apply this all over the cups, inside and out. Then immediately and thoroughly rinse with tap water leaving no polish on the cups and then dry and buff the cups with a non-abrasive cotton cloth. The result is a renewed luster to the silver and the gold plate with no tarnish. And don't make a habit of this either - once per year should be enough. Just handling the sterling silver will help to prevent tarnishing and simply wiping them with a clean cotton cloth will remove finger prints and restore a shine.
I would not use the chemically treated jeweler's silver cloth either. My rule of thumb is: if the cleaning agent or polish produces a black residue, it's too strong for plated surfaces. A jeweler's cloth (just like NevR Dull) will produce a black residue. These cleaners are fine for sterling but not plated surfaces.

Really, if you have Tarn-X in your home, throw it away before you ruin a valuable piece of apparatus - but that's just my opinion.

Post is in this thread, the 16th post down. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

Jim
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Yes, and I totally agree as I also would never use Tarn-X on anything that is plated. However, coins are not plated so its totally safe with no adverse affects whatsoever. Then again, I've never used Tarn-X on coins (probably never would) as I've never felt the need to do so and simply use whatever cream, and or liquid that is recommended for either copper, brass or silver. Also, as you pointed out, Wright's Silver Cream is a good bet as its quite mild abrasive wise.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cry for help. I feel so dirty! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL