The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silk to Card. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Greetings, it has been a while.

I am currently shifting some elements in my manipulation act. I am looking to change a 24" silk into a single playing card.

I am simply seeking perspective so as to broaden the multifold directions I am already working with. That ah-ha moment has not presented itself as of yet in terms of a great idea.

Anything that comes to mind be it marketed gimmick, ideas in books, or personal insight in terms of drawing two sleights together etc, would be most interesting.

This is for the stage. Standard card manipulation angles. Im really open to venturing in any direction.

Kindest regards,

D~
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have heard of 'Card to Silk', but not 'Silk to Card' as I think the size of the playing card compared to a huge silk would over power the effect.

I would think the Flash Pull would work for this type of effect. The is the same pull used for the chimney silk vanish.

A standard Handkerchief Vanisher would work as well, it all depends how you want it to look to the audience.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I was moving towards the concept of a reel or pull, yes. I think this would be more appropriate in terms of the flow of a manipulation sequence as opposed to packing it in ones hand.

In terms of the visual appeal, I am open to ideas, I will locate the chimney vanish to examine the pull system.

Kindest regards.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Chimney Vanish can be found in C. Lang Neil book "The Modern Conjurer", as well as the Roy Benson Book and John Carney "Secrets" book. I believe it is also in Al Baker's book, although I do not have that book in my library. I mention this because John Carney mentions the pull is from an Al Baker design, that Carney has added some ideas to.

What may also work is the pull used in the Bill Neff "Miracle Rope Trick" sold by Abbott's Magic. This pull would meet most of your needs concerning length of the silk, plus you get a fabulous cut and restored rope effect.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of imanipulatestuff
Hmm I don't think that your going to get more practical than a pull or reel, but If you wanted the card to appear form the silk then you could have a white silk and do the old thing where you show that there's a hole the shape of card in the silk Smile just an idea.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I would think of automatic silk to ball for the silk vanish and producing a palmed card if you get my idea...
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Dahih,

This is exactly what I wanted to do. But automatic silk to ball gimmicks will only hold an 18" silk. I am using a full 24" silk. I am trying to find another means to achieve the speed in the vanish as the silk ball effectuates.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silk to Card. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL