The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Some videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hey guys,

Here are some moves I've recently recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-WRq9LkX0M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4j8W2r24w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDD1hkNryPE

I'm just a big enthusiast of gambling moves so any feedback would be great.

Cheers,
Mike
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well Mike, I think you're doing pretty well.

I think you need a bigger working area, however, so that you can sail the cards.

And you adjust the cards in your grip too much.

Here's a RANT about magic books:

One of the best pieces of advice I ever read was in a magic book. Sometimes the magicians get it RIGHT. Anyway, I forget which book its in. I'm sure bblumen can come and tell me I'm scum for not remembering the names of those who went before us. Anyway, this one book something like, "get your grip, then spend several hours places the cards into that grip, over and over again." Brilliant advice.

When I see someone fool around with their grip, I get suspicious.

Mike, that's my best advice. Others will help you more, perhaps, but less fundamentally. Stick the cards in your hand and DEAL!
tommydee
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of tommydee
Very nice overall.

I agree with stoneunhinged that you should work on reducing moving in the fingers of the hand holding the deck.
The other piece of advice I have is to only start pushing over the top card once your dealing hand starts moving towards the deck.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
I agree with stoney but I wanted to add a few points. First I'm still not sure I understand the point of dealing thirds. But the best real advice I can give you is to practice at a table and deal to positions. I've been playing cards for the better part of 30 years and I have yet to encounter a game where cards are dealt into a pile in front of the dealer. I guess maybe in war that happens, but I can't think of another circumstance where that's a useful thing to be able to do. And this matters, because as I think you'll discover if you try it, dealing a round of hands is a very different set of movements than what you're doing.

For the bottom, your take is different from the way you normally deal. It's a small point, but take a closer look at what your thumb does on your normal deal. Also, I still think the master grip looks bizarre, but lots of respectable people disagree with me about that so who knows if I'm right. What I will say is that the camera angle here is hiding your knuckle flash, but from how much your ring finger is moving on your right hand during your get ready, my guess is that it's significant and would stick out like a sore thumb to the guy sitting at 45 degrees from you. Also, I know you're just doing a demo here, but even so, I would avoid pausing after you've dealt a bottom.

As to the seconds, I think they look good for the most part, but the right way to practice them is not a bunch of runs like in those old charlie miller demos where he deals seconds through the whole deck. With seconds, you need to be able to switch between a straight deal and a second on the fly as you're dealing around the table, so to practice you should do that. Switching from one to the other is harder to get smooth than consecutive seconds in my experience, and if you can do that, then you can deal all the consecutive cards you want.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 11:39, stoneunhinged wrote:
[snip]
One of the best pieces of advice I ever read was in a magic book. Sometimes the magicians get it RIGHT. Anyway, I forget which book its in. I'm sure bblumen can come and tell me I'm scum for not remembering the names of those who went before us. Anyway, this one book something like, "get your grip, then spend several hours places the cards into that grip, over and over again." Brilliant advice.

When I see someone fool around with their grip, I get suspicious.
[snip]

Not at all! There is nothing scummy about not being able to recall a reference.

And, I agree with you about the grip. Here is some advice from Simon Lovell:

"You should practice putting the deck into your hand so that it goes straight into this grip. Any adjusting of cards before dealing is a give away of manipulation. A good way to get this down pat is to drop the deck from about six to eight inches above your hand immediately gripping it in the correct position."

Second To None ~ A Manuscript on the Art of Second Dealing, page 7.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Tenchu I didn't see what the other guys saw I guess that's why I liked everything, keep up the good work. I did think that your grip/handling was different when doing a second and a bottom but I wasn't sure.

Take care,

Doc
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the comments/suggestions.

You're right with adjusting the cards, finger movement etc. Although it's something I do even when I deal fairly/normally it's definitely something I should work on.

Doc, I'm a big fan of your work and I'm really happy you liked the stuff.

Cheers,
Mike
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I'm not sure I agree with Simon Lovell...
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 17:05, AMcD wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with Simon Lovell...

How so?
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
"Any adjusting of cards before dealing is a give away of manipulation."

I've never read such a stupidity. Just go to a club, a cardroom, etc. and play some cards, we'll see if you won't have to adjust some cards before dealing, once in a while...

Many factors may take place: the condition of the cards, your hands (perspiration, fatigue), the guy who completed the cut and left it messy, the lack of space, etc.

Why Magicians always want things to be perfect when they talk about cheating? In actuality, it's not.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 17:30, AMcD wrote:

I've never read such a stupidity. Just go to a club, a cardroom, etc. and play some cards, we'll see if you won't have to adjust some cards before dealing, once in a while...

Many factors may take place: the condition of the cards, your hands (perspiration, fatigue), the guy who completed the cut and left it messy, the lack of space, etc.

Why Magicians always want things to be perfect when they talk about cheating? In actuality, it's not.

I think the point is, once the cards are placed in the hand for dealing, there should be no further screwing around.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
I've always had the impression that Simon Lovell is a little bit OCD, and I tend to think he worries about things that sane people ought not worry about. Look at Ed Marlo's videos sometimes, and he's very casual in his false deals, including a very casual way of adjusting his grip if necessary. Now, that said, if what you're trying to do is be a magician doing a "gambling expose" type of show, I think that there are things that matter in that context that don't matter at the table. And, this is my opinion, the reason that's the case is that the magician is inviting the audience to burn him in a way that no real cheat ever does. So, oddly enough, I think it might be a lot more difficult to get away with say a bottom deal in a magic show than it is in anything but the most paranoid of games. but then, I tend to think that the only skill that really matters in taking down a card game is to have the guts to move under fire, and the brains to think ahead to have a spare set of keys to leave on the table while you climb out the bathroom window.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
95% of Magicians understand nothing about card cheating. They talk about center dealing, block transfers, Stevens' cull and they stack royal flushes. Of course, they never cut the deck or, when they want to cancel the cut, they use fancy shifts. They have never seen a cut card, they hardly know what a chip is and the majority has never played a card game! I wonder how many of them know that 5 card draw is almost a dead game now. But, Hold'Em or Omaha are not in Erdnase, so...

The opposite is not true, many card cheats would be (technically speaking) wonderful Magicians. They would require some comedy lessons only.

And please, don't understand that post as a disrespect towards Magicians. I like, respect and appreciate many of them.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 17:30, AMcD wrote:

AmcD I guess that's why I didn't see anything. He held the deck no differently then players that I play with all the time.

Respectfully,

Doc
cinahcem
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of cinahcem
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 23:51, AMcD wrote:
95% of Magicians understand nothing about card cheating. They talk about center dealing, block transfers, Stevens' cull and they stack royal flushes. Of course, they never cut the deck or, when they want to cancel the cut, they use fancy shifts. They have never seen a cut card, they hardly know what a chip is and the majority has never played a card game! I wonder how many of them know that 5 card draw is almost a dead game now. But, Hold'Em or Omaha are not in Erdnase, so...

The opposite is not true, many card cheats would be (technically speaking) wonderful Magicians. They would require some comedy lessons only.

And please, don't understand that post as a disrespect towards Magicians. I like, respect and appreciate many of them.

Thank you for this AMcD.
Tony45
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Tony45
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 18:07, bblumen wrote:

I think the point is, once the cards are placed in the hand for dealing, there should be no further screwing around.

That's not really so. Having dealt single and double deck 21, you do change your grip and adjust the deck as the cards are depleted. Its quite natural and cant be avoided.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 23:51, AMcD wrote:
I wonder how many of them know that 5 card draw is almost a dead game now.

FOrget draw poker, I can't think of a gambling routine I've seen that didn't deal straight poker without a draw. As much as I lament the death of draw, razz and stud, the fact is there's a whole generation of casual players who just don't know how to play those games and so doing things based on those games is something that can only be of limited interest. And really that's a more general complaint about most magician's gambling routines that I've seen. I can't fathom how people can spend sp much time thinking about something and at the same time not really keep up with what's going on with it.
dukun
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dukun
Why I can't open the video ??

cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Some videos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL