The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Have anyone read this book?I heard a lot of vodoo/relegious/spirit kind of magic are in there.Anyway here is a review of the book.

http://trashotron.com/agony/reviews/shah......tice.htm
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Yes, I've own it and finished reading it about a week ago. It's a well-told true story of magic in India with a surprising ending.
The magic described, and often explained, is the early/primative style of magic where the magic is not for entertainment, but for control or mastery/power over people. The magic effects discussed and influencing the India people is often the style of magicians back in the mid-1800's in Europe and USA, when laypeople there were unaware of the chemicals and their effects e.g., phosphorus. Later in those countries the chemistry became known to many more people and that style of magic for entertainment was replaced by other things - such as remote control, and more recently cell phone usage and the like.
What would a person living in 1900 think of the computer and mobile phone usage used, say, around 2000? They would think it was magic, and this is about the equivalent for many people in today's India.
Would I recommend the book? For those interested in the physchology and history of magic and how it is still used in undeveoped countries, I would say "Definitely!"
And I expect to re-read it myself, because I found the story so well-told and interesting.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL