The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What works for a younger group? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mystero
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Mystero
My 1st post here so I apologize if this topic has been covered before. I’ve been doing magic for a little over 30 years but mostly close up, walk around adult venues.

Just got a gig for a 4 year old party, and that is the youngest I’ve ever performed for. I’m thinking hat tear; vanishing milk pitcher and funnel; sponge balls; mouth coil; coloring book and if the environment is right D’Lite.

What are your thoughts/suggestions? Smile

Kepp America in your prayers and stay amazing, Mystero.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Stay away from the mouth coil with a group that young. They may try to imitate after you are long gone. Just do stuff that is colorful, animated, and doesn't require them to remember, or think. Remember, it isn't the destination that captures the attention of children this age...it is the journey to the destination!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Mystero! If it’s a birthday party, try using the birthday boy or girls name as part of the magic words before the magic show begins. "O.K. boys and girls, before the magic show begins I need to teach you the magic words, and today the magic words are HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA; if you say it loud enough, it might do some magic for you. So on the count of three I want everybody to yell "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA." The birthday boy/girl loves it; the parents love it too! This is a great way to warm up the audience; get them on your side.

Don’t overlook anything visual that may be considered an adult trick. Kids love card on ceiling with an easy spot card to recognize, such as two of diamonds etc...

Telling any helpers that they need to be a little bit taller for this trick and having them stand on a playing card, then saying that they’re now the perfect height gets a good laugh.

Asking a child if he’s/she’s married gets laughs. If they say no, "so you’re divorced huh"...

Hey listen, I’m babbling (something I do quite a bit), just wanted you to have fun and throw a few things at you!

By the way, these ideas/suggestions are not my own but are credited to David Ginn (A wonderful children’s performer that has much more experience than I do).

Sincerely,

Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have to agree that you should stay away from any effects with fire, danger, sharp objects or productions or vanishes in orifices for this age group. Mouth coils aside, your "set" looks good!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
I do a few "gag" magic at kids shows.

I will start with a cut & restored rope. I cut the rope, grab a plain brown grocery bag and tell them, "I will throw this cut rope into this bag, and it will come out tied!!"

I throw the rope in the bag, then pull out a small box of Tide (laundry detergent). It might not be magic, but even from younger kids I get laughs.

Bengi
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
For that age group, anything with color and flash (and don’t take that to mean "flash paper").

And, yes, stay away from mouth coils from the mouth at that age.

In fact, stay away from mouth coils from the mouth at ANY age.

It’s simply disgusting and uncouth and your estimation will plummet in the eyes of the audience (oh, sure; they may gasp or even laugh -- at the moment!)

Keep it simple (no involved plots) and keep it short (remember their attention span is much shorter than older children’s).

And no "dead" pauses; something has to be happening to hold their attention at all times; otherwise, you will lose them.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
conceptor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of conceptor
I use a mouth coil in my young children shows, However I do not use it in my mouth.... I choose the youngest member of the audience present, Tell them I need a hand, Tell them to make candy appear we need a little piece of paper as something to start with.

I have a piece right here, I need you to pull it out of my hand....

Everything you do with the kids is magic. This is visual, and the parents think it’s great watching this young child pulling and pulling this streamer from the magician’s hand.

Not magic per se, but pretty, and a great photo opp for the 3-5 year old with the magician.

IMHO anyway.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Mouth coils. It's funny, even though they are called "mouth" coils, I've never used one that way. In fact I use one as part of a production from a phantom tube.

The color and length of the seemingly non-ending paper ribbon are what register with an audience. Especially young children.

Scott O. Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Repetition is good. That is something they are used to from pre-school and their TV shows.

A peanut can with 2 or 3 small snakes. (see Bev Bergeron's birthday Party video - US Toy)

Monkey Bar or the silks version

Weave a story around your trick.

Use the birthday child in a photogenic trick

Bongo Giant Hat

Farmyard Frolics

Painting tricks
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Conceptor, I didn't mean to imply that I was against mouth coils; I'm not. (In fact, I make my own, because I need them in particular colors).

But I use them as you do: After a torn paper routine, the kids shout the magic words and I start pulling -- from my hand! -- the coil. ("Oops! Somebody must have said the wrong magic word!")

Mystero, the one thing that I would include, that you don't have on your otherwise good and solid list is the Miser's Dream.

Over the years I have found that kids don't think you are a "real" magician unless you can pull a coin from behind their ear.

And "behind" is the operative word here.

For years, I pulled a coins apparently out of the ear.

But someone pointed out that this could lead children to try to copy this at home by jamming a coin into their ear.

Dangerous!

So I no longer put ideas into their heads (they can come up with enough new ones on their own!) and pull the coin from BEHIND the ear.

BTW, that's another example of how, after more than 50 years in this business, I am still learning from others! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Wow!!!

What powerful and correct advice, given here. This is why this site is soooo good!

Four year olds also like puppets, like the kind Sammy Smith uses. The "trick" with entertaining children, is to know what they are going to say, anticipate it and plan a response to it. Not always easy to do. Without a doubt, to be successful, you have to come off enjoying yourself, having fun with the youngsters, laugh a lot, and inter-twine gag comedy items in your routines.

This group gets bored easy, so do not exceed the 45 minute rule. Rabbits are show stealers, and a great plus.

Good luck and let us know how the show turned out!

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com

[email]DennisDowhy@magic-magic.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
WindsorWizard
View Profile
New user
CANADA - Windsor, Ontario
44 Posts

Profile of WindsorWizard
Very sound advise being shared here.

Just to add my sense-worth... I do a lot of 4 - 6 year old parties and always include the 3way colouring book routine. Get them to help as a group by rubbing some colour off their clothes and tossing it up to the book. They know all about colouring and this is truly magical to them. There are lots of bits of business you can add that come with the book and are shared elsewhere in print.

TIP - Here is an absolute must idea for those doing any colouring routine in their shows...

PROVIDE A SOUVENIR COLOURING PAGE for the kids to take home, personalized with a magic theme, maybe YOUR picture, and INCLUDE your contact information.

Check my website http://www.wizard.magicplace.com and check out the 'Childcare' link for more ideas and an example of one of the colouring pages I use.

EVERYTHING is possible...

If you simply, just BELIEVE!
EVERYTHING is possible...
If you simply, just BELIEVE!
~ ~ ~ Johnny Ould ~ ~ ~
VISIT US: Windsor Magic Place & Cases For Magic=A Free Report!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2001-10-18 20:43, Mystero wrote:
Just got a gig for a 4 year old party, and that is the youngest I’ve ever performed for. I’m thinking hat tear; vanishing milk pitcher and funnel; sponge balls; mouth coil; coloring book and if the environment is right D’Lite.

What are your thoughts/suggestions? Smile

See The Great Zucchini. He will let you know.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Does that mean we can add time-travelling to Zuchs list of talents?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I think it's great to see these old threads revived. There are very few discussions we have here now, which haven't already been discussed previously.

But it's also amazing to see how much we have all advanced in our thinking since those early days of the Magic Café.

Some day, I suppose, someone will trawl through the millions of pages here, and produce a comprehensive synopsis of all the best advice and ideas. That's gonna be some job.....
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 13:43, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I think it's great to see these old threads revived. There are very few discussions we have here now, which haven't already been discussed previously.

But it's also amazing to see how much we have all advanced in our thinking since those early days of the Magic Café.

Some day, I suppose, someone will trawl through the millions of pages here, and produce a comprehensive synopsis of all the best advice and ideas. That's gonna be some job.....

Maybe you can make a start.
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
If everyone gives me 50 dollars. I will make an updated little darlings forum index.

But seriously, how good would that be! I'll sort the post from 2000-2001 who's doing 2001-2002??? Smile
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1957 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
While a collection of good advice would be helpful, I still think there is value in the "digging" because we all have different performance styles, experience, and types of shows - so what is trash to some, is a treasure to others.

I do love seeing posts from those of you who have been here for a long time. I had my TMC 1st year anniversary a few months ago, and cannot believe how far I have taken my show in that time. It is really amazing what kind of advice you can find on here.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Mystero posted this in 2001; I wonder how his show went
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Young kids love funny hats ,but make them promise not to laugh first
eg Sean Taylors "uncle charlies night cap routine also utilises a miller hank as well.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What works for a younger group? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL