The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can someone please explain this to me? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/201......=1&tc=pg

Ok, I understand the intent of most codes, like wanting a city to look a certain way, I just generally disagree with forcing someone to keep their lawn the way you want them too.

However, what on Earth is the reasoning behind a code forcing you to have license plates on cars in your DRIVEWAY?
I get the "why" for wanting cars on the road to have plates, but why do they "need" for people to have them on cars sitting in their driveway that they don't even use?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I guess they want to check if they are stolen and so on. Why wouldn't you have plates on a car in a driveway?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 22:09, tommy wrote:
Well I guess they want to check if they are stolen and so on. Why wouldn't you have plates on a car in a driveway?

That's what I was thinking.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Did you check the link?

If you aren't using the car any more, why would you need plates, or need to renew them?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Waitwait, let me set this for the hearing impaired:
SO THEY CAN CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S STOLEN!
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Seriously?

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Wait a minute - in my area a license plate must be on every car that isn't torn to pieces for repair (which may never happen), the sort of thing rednecks are accused of having a dozen of up on blocks in the yards of their double-wide trailers. So it seems to me that this regulation is intended to keep junker cars out of sight.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Checking to see if it's stolen is one valid reason. Another is that if someone exceeds their limit of parked cars to the extent that they become an eyesore or safety hazard then they can be towed at the owners' expense. In that case, the plate is used to look up to R/O so they know where to send the bill.
Not every parked car belongs to the property owner. I have three at my Mom's house.

So there's at least two perfectly valid reasons.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If I stopped driving my car for some reason, it would still have plates on it. I put a new sticker on the plate each year when I renew my registration, and I'd stop doing that, but why would I take the plates off it? Are things done differently in other states?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Revenue.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 23:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If I stopped driving my car for some reason, it would still have plates on it. I put a new sticker on the plate each year when I renew my registration, and I'd stop doing that, but why would I take the plates off it? Are things done differently in other states?

The article said she had plates, they just weren't "valid" which I imagine had to do with the sticker.

As for checking if it's stolen, so much for presumption of innocence.

Your other suggestion, critter, makes sense, from the statist mindset.

Though, even if the plates weren't renewed, shouldn't they still be able to check those things with the old plates?

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 23:23, landmark wrote:
Revenue.

We have a winner! Hmph "revenue," got to love their euphemisms.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 09:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:

There's a non sequitur for you.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:

This statement makes absolutely no sense. Someone reports a stolen blue VW Thing. There is a blue VW Thing in your driveway. They take 2 minutes to run the plates and if you didn't steal it you're off the hook.
I'd rather not be detained while they seek lengthier measures but that's just me.

Why did you ask the question as if you earnestly didn't know and wanted an answer when you'd already decided that the 'revenue' one was the only one you'd accept?
This isn't a discussion, it's a lecture. Please refrain from placing question marks in lectures in the future so we know what we're wading into if we respond. I don't care if you want to lecture, but I'd like it if you didn't set traps to do it.
~Will Rogers
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Yes but did you consider this source? http://www.same_old_tripe_different_day.com Or how about this one? http://www.argue_with_me_I_crave_attention.com

I think both sources have very valid points to add to these never ending indignations.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

The article said she had plates, they just weren't "valid"

Are you sure?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I like tacos?
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 10:54, critter wrote:
Quote:

This statement makes absolutely no sense. Someone reports a stolen blue VW Thing. There is a blue VW Thing in your driveway. They take 2 minutes to run the plates and if you didn't steal it you're off the hook.
I'd rather not be detained while they seek lengthier measures but that's just me.

Why did you ask the question as if you earnestly didn't know and wanted an answer when you'd already decided that the 'revenue' one was the only one you'd accept?
This isn't a discussion, it's a lecture. Please refrain from placing question marks in lectures in the future so we know what we're wading into if we respond. I don't care if you want to lecture, but I'd like it if you didn't set traps to do it.

Actually, I was completely sincere in my op.
I had not "decided" I would only accept a specific answer.

I really am curious about the reasoning behind it, BESIDES "revenue." That one is kind of an obvious answer.

As for the presumption of innocence, if the purpose IS to check if it's stolen, then it is a code which requires you to prove your innocence.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:27, gdw wrote:
As for the presumption of innocence, if the purpose IS to check if it's stolen, then it is a code which requires you to prove your innocence.

There are many codes that require one to prove one's innocence. Your comment about "so much for [the] presumption of innocence" makes it sound as if one has the right to a presumption of innocence under all circumstances. I'm not sure where you may have gotten this idea, but you should disabuse yourself of it; it's not true.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 11:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The article said she had plates, they just weren't "valid"

Are you sure?

Whoops, you are correct, my mistake.
I misread this part, probably due to the word "valid:"

"But it did not have a valid license plate, and the city's code enforcement panel cited her for breaking a rule requiring cars in driveways to have a current plate."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can someone please explain this to me? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL