The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Exploding Pen" prank... Illegal / Dangerous? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
I am, structuring a new routine; Where, the classic 'exploding pen' prank is a prequel to a mentalist, book test.

Obviously, this is a harmless prank.

As, street magic... As, a 'psychic clown' is it illegal to scare strangers, within this scenario?

More, importantly; Will, I harm people with health problems? Nerves, heart, etc... ?

Thank you, for your time. Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
If someone has health problems, anything could potentially exasserbate it. In and of itsef, it's not illegal, but if someone becomes injured, or has an episode, as a result of the exploding pen then you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If you HAVE to do it, I recommend that...

You should be holding it when it explodes, less risk to anyone else.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
For a street performance anything involving a loud bang could bring unwanted attention from the authorities. Not saying it will, particularly since it's no louder than a cap gun if it's what I'm thinking of, just something to think about.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
I do not think, this can injure anyone. But, to be safe, I have decided, to use it on myself. All, I should loose is audience interaction.

I will, also tone down the sudden surprise by presenting another, harmless gag, before - With, the same concept, of classic misdirection.

So, theoretically, my presentation should be, no more surprising or threatening, than a classic 'Looney Toons' cartoon.

Thank, you.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
It is, star caps, for toy guns; And, the area is loud to begin with. Hopefully, laughter, drowns any idea something, evil is going on... Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Sounds good! Hope you make lots of money.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I sold about a billion of them in my store. It's a great joke, but it's a VERY disturbing joke and honestly may not be the best way to build report, etc. I would expect that affect of the loud bang to last longer than you think it might, thus making it difficult to get folks back on your side.

It's one thing if it's tossed in as part of a comedy routine for instance...buy, mentalism.... I wouldn't. Best,
Brad Burt
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hasn't mentalism been trivialized enough already?
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Art, can be immature and sophisticated...

Picasso, any one? Smile

No, I am not, saying; I, have his talent.

The, performance aspects, can be judged, when you see the show. I, was just interested in the ethical and legal aspects...

I, would never, intentionally; Trivialize, an art form.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
A psychic clown doing booktests? Come on! What is this, Candid Camera? Really!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
We used to sell a ton of these at the magic shop where I worked. People would say "Man you're a jerk!" Then they'd say "Um..so how much is that thing?" Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
When I was behind the counter of a magic shop I attatched the exploding pen to a clipboard that said "FREE FREE - Sign here if you love Practical Jokes - FREE FREE".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
HCM
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of HCM
Is it illegal to scare people? No way!

Is it illegal to scream fire in a movie theater? Nope!........ But if that theater is full of people, you can be charged with anything from disturbing the peace to manslaughter and also be sued in civil court.

You need to think less about whether it is illegal, and think about if it is appropriate. I used to sell the exploding pens at my shop and it was a big seller. One day, a kid picked it up and opened it right above the counter. The thing is, he was little and his face was right at the level of the counter. It scared him pretty good and the debris or plastic cap hit him in the face. He was fine, but we made it a policy after that to only make the pen available to people under employee supervision. I would put it away if I couldn't watch it. It was hard, but we managed to leave the pen out and sort of control who opened it without spoiling the joke. Long story short, you need to choose carefully who you give the pen to. As long as you pay attention to the volunteer and those nearby, you will be safe. You can always be sued if you hurt someone, but that doesn't mean you cant use things like an exploding pen. You just need to be careful.

The idea of putting it on a clipboard is a good one. If you fix the cap to the clipboard, it will prevent anyone form opening it close to their face and it will also deflect any debris from going into your audience.
Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic, LLC
www.highcalibermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Exploding Pen" prank... Illegal / Dangerous? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL