The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books about scripting/patter in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 14:46, truthteller wrote:
A cure for insomnia has an approach for analyzing and evaluating your scripts. It is out of print, but copies float around.

Author? Publisher?
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Jacob,
Glad you liked The Ostrich Factor and found it helpful. Thanks for saying so!

Best regards,
Gerald
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Master Payne has an awesome set of notes called "sometimes the jokes are just for me".
It goes into character as well as scripting.. And motivation as well - which is great!
I can't recommend them enough.. I bought them at his lecture; so you might
Have to google to find them.. He is also a Café member- so you could try to ask him
Directly
Damien
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Whit Haydn's manuscript on the Chicago Opener.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
87 Posts

Profile of krazykat
David Regal has a small bit on scripting in Close-Up & Personal that is very good. I would also recommend "Story" by Robert McKee, and Adventures In the Screen Trade" by William Goldman. They are both excellent books on telling stories well, which is what you are really doing when scripting; tell the story of yourself doing the trick.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Major faux pas...that would be the Chicago Surprise
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Hugokhf,
Thank you for your interest in The Ostrich Factor. Yes, great reviews are good, but the "proof is in the pudding." Smile

Have you found the book helpful? Hope so!

Best regards,
Gerald
LEONS
View Profile
New user
Australia
5 Posts

Profile of LEONS
Scripting Magic-pete Mcabe,
The Ostrich Factor-Gerald Edmundson
Strong magic-Darwin Ortiz
Designing Miracles-Darwin Ortiz
Maximum Entertainment-Ken Weber
All these books are excellent ..................
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Acting for Magicians by Richard Tenace. I suppose I am biased but I believe that all performing magicians should learn some stagecraft and Gary Ouellet wrote at length about this in his superb Close Up Illusions. My bias comes from the fact that I have been involved in live theater for quite a few years and it has enhanced my performance chops more than any book could, but, the books mentioned here in this thread plus Tenace's book should give you plenty to study.

Also, don't forget Tarbell. While the patter for many of the effects is somewhat dated, what Tarbell has to say about patter is as relevant now as it was in 1927.

Namaste,
Vlad
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
Check out Ron Bauer private studies.
He has all the patter for the tricks & more info all worked out for you.
Also check out Sid Lorraine's booklets
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
LEONS,
Thank you for mentioning The Ostrich Factor. I hope my book has helped with practice, rehearsal and performance.

Thanks again!
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books about scripting/patter in magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL