The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Sponge Ball Vanish for Bowl Routine (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I have been trying to do the Benson Bowl routine correctly for years, but can't decide the best way to do a retention vanish.

And now with the help of the Internet we can see that NOBODY agrees on the best method!

Please check out these videos and let me know what you think the best practices should be...

1) Fingers outside hand (index finger holds ball)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonZoodldbI

2) Fingers inside hand (middle fingers fold ball)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbcqSfc3kI

3) The finger pluck (requires nice suit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdQC7Qqt6o

4) Fingers in palm (all fingers on ball)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BOXWAy82k

5) Thumb clip (with waving hand)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8mBnS-eIw

6) Upside down retention (from Germany)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5xArLktV4

7) Fast slap (two fingers hold ball)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coo6GOyOH_0
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I doubt there is one right way to do it, although there are probably a sundry of wrong ways. Find a copy of Bill Elliott's "Classic Secrets of Magic". It explains very well the action needed for this. Mostly it has to do with the timing and the taking of the wand.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Clip number 1 was pretty sweet........

Nice wand spin, too!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't need tricky moves. Just pick up a ball in one hand and PLACE IT IN THE OTHER HAND, because the first hand needed to pick up your wand.

OK, SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

DO A FALSE TRANSFER THAT LOOKS THE SAME.

HERE'S MINE.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2tyhLRrvs&feature=related
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have used all sorts of ways to do this, but I always have kept them simple. Pete is right - use a false transfer that looks the same as it would if you were actually doing what you are pretending to do.

Michael lists a great reference, and I will add BOWLing With the Stars from none other than Mr. Biro as another excellent resource. Also, check out the work by Frank Garcia on this particular routine.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Great video Pete! I ordered Pete's book a few days ago, and just ordered Bruce Elliot's book on Amazon. I am digging up my original Don Alan instructions as well.

I have video (that I can't share) for the Garcia Master Move on the Sponge Ball Encyclopedia. This move starts out holding the ball with the index finger and thumb, and then retaining ball with the lower three fingers under the cover of the cupped hand. There are literally five phases to this, and I have spent more then 20 hours practicing, but this move seems to require microsecond timing to work properly.

Watching Eric Jones and Jeff McBride do a sponge ball retention, they employ a very fast plucking motion. And while these guys have more magic in their little finger than I do in my entire closeup kit, I have a problem with this method. Shouldn't a RETENTION have a split second stop in the movement, where the ball is frozen on the palm? How can there be a visual retention if everything is done in one smooth fast motion? Look at the deceptive millisecond freeze and peek at the ball on clip one above to see what I mean.

With this sleight, small changes in handling or timing seem to result in large changes from an audience perspective, and obviously some of the people doing this on the video clips above have ended up deriving their own handling. So I am interested in not just what is the best way to do this, but also what is the most historically authentic way, if there is one. Can anyone point to Roy Benson's handling, or a good write up of his original retention vanish?

Best, Bill
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's best to listen to Pete. You'll want a vanish that looks natural for you. Of course the Garcia move requires precise timing - any vanish will require that.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Too much information. MOST OF IT WRONG OR NOT NATURAL OR BENSON-LIKE.

Look, try this. Have a ball on the table with your wand under your left arm. Hold your left hand open palm up, relaxed. Look at ball, pick it up with right hand in natural way, rotated right hand SLIGHTLY palm up, AS TO SHOW IT TO VIEWERS for a fraction of a second.

NOW (and this timing is for study)... PLACE BALL ONTO OPEN LEFT HAND... stop... you see the ball... pause about ONE SECOND.

As Ken Brooke used to teach "DON'T MAKE A MOVE OF IT."

SIMULTANEOUSLY close left hand and rotate it clockwise.... RIGHT HAND JUST REACHES UP TO GRIP WAND. DO NOT DO ANY DOPEY MOVES WITH RIGHT HAND IT WILL CLOSE ON ITS OWN FOR A FRACTION OF A SECOND AND RE-OPEN TO GRASP WAND.

See illustrations in my book from Benson't lecture notes.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The way Pete describes it is exactly the way I usually do it. It is also one of the cleanest ways. Alan was right - any vanish will require precise timing. Some much more than others, but they all require it. Follow what Pete said exactly the way he wrote it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
IF this helps...

There should be some motivation for any action. If you were really going to make a ball disappear, you'd just make it disappear. To do so with a bit of the unknown attached, you'd close the ball in your hand first.

Now... there is absolutely NO reason for placing the ball in the other hand... EXCEPT...

you have to grab the wand. Conveniently for you, that wand is only accessible to one hand. But, the ball is in that same hand. Therefore you must put the ball somewhere else in order to grab the wand. Placing it into the other hand is as good a place as any.

The motivation for the action is not (or should not be) placing the ball into your hand for the purpose of vanishing it. That is of course the ultimate goal, but the reason you place it into your hand, is so you can grab the wand most efficiently.

If your silent script (that which is running inside your head) includes that bit of info, your mental attitude and bodily actions will contain subtle nuances that will convey to the audience. It will give you a foundation upon which to build your sequence of actions.

At the very instant that the ball is placed into your hand, all your focus should be on going for the wand. Asking the audience to burn your hand at the very moment you do the dirty work is poor timing.

Small detail, big difference. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Great advise Michael. I had never seen this effect until last night. I watched three or four of the videos OP was kind enough to link to. Within 10 minutes or so of watching them I showed my wife (who too had never seen it) and it fooled her. The fact that it fooled her is really saying something because if any one is going to bust me on something its going to be her. I was pretty confident that I could do it because sponges are my favorite magic to perform. One of the first things my mentor drove into me with a sledge hammer was to show every one your intent and be able to justify that intent. As Michael pointed out so very well is your intent is to take the wand into your hand, not to make the ball disappear. I don't think that there is a "correct" way to make the ball vanish, but (like I read some where else on this forum) there are so many wrong ways to do it. Which ever vanish you choose, perfect it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Just commenting on the clips here: Is it just me or did anyone else thing that the technique in #2 was just horrible? I did like the German video (#6) - very deceptive and well played. The first clip was very nice too, but the part I do not care for is the fail. That is just me though.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
IMHO the best routine, to date has been Johnny Thompson's. But now Jeff McBride has brought the Rezvani routine up to date.
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 11:22, Pete Biro wrote:
As Ken Brooke used to teach "DON'T MAKE A MOVE OF IT."

I couldn't agree more, I have been learning a cups and balls routine and found myself hitting a brick wall when it came to vanishes. So much advice in books etc is very old school and all look like a flourish, after much research watching performance (not instruction) I found the way Gazzo does it to be the most convincing.

He just describes his as a rhythm vanish, nothing flash - basically the same movement as a normal transfer.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Pete Biro:

I met Johnny Thompson at Schulien's on Irving Park Road in Chicago in 1965........I'll see Johnny Thompson in three weeks here:

http://www.houdiniclubofwisconsin.com/Ho......ion.html

Marshall Brodien always attends, too.......saw Marshall at Abbott'sa couple of weeks ago...he drove in with Ken Mate...

For those magicians who don't know......Marshall Brodien and Johnny Thompson pretty much opened up the field of Trade Show Magio.....and both of them are a treasure trove of magic knowledge and experience........and boy.....what great stories they tell.

I should tell Johnny about your quote about the Benson Bowl.....he will enjoy that......what a great guy he is.....

For those who've never read Marshall Brodien's Book.......GET IT!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rainbowguy.... agreed they are two of the most knowledgeable, nicest guys anywhere.

Posted: Aug 13, 2011 11:10am
Paul Reed: check the video of my cups and balls "vanishes" at http://www.petebiro.com and click on Pete's on TV and scroll down to cups and balls.
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Lovely Pete, I just wanna do the routine half as well and I'll be happy. I just need to work on those vanishes!
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I received a signed copy of Pete's excellent book "BOWLing with the Stars" yesterday and highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in the different bowl routines. This is a "must have" resource.

Quote:
Now... there is absolutely NO reason for placing the ball in the other hand... EXCEPT... you have to grab the wand. Conveniently for you, that wand is only accessible to one hand. But, the ball is in that same hand. Therefore you must put the ball somewhere else in order to grab the wand. Placing it into the other hand is as good a place as any.

And Michael, this is the best advice, focus on the wand. But depending on the routine you might need to repeat the wand grab three or four times, which can reduce the spontaneous nature of the movement. So I am looking at routines which introduce some variations on this, or break up the repetitive aspects of the move, the Nutty Surprise for example does this pretty nicely.

I'm going to try to film some of the different vanishes from the classic Benson to the Garcia to the one I use, back later with that...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 12:50, billappleton wrote:
And Michael, this is the best advice, focus on the wand. But depending on the routine you might need to repeat the wand grab three or four times, which can reduce the spontaneous nature of the movement. So I am looking at routines which introduce some variations on this, or break up the repetitive aspects of the move, the Nutty Surprise for example does this pretty nicely.

Nutty surprise does make a good use of that idea, but instead of looking for more routines with the variations on the move that are already there, make up your own that work for you. You might even do it once or twice without the wand.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Patrick page has a spongeball dvd
that has a great routein with a bowl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Sponge Ball Vanish for Bowl Routine (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL