The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Magician's who worked in 10 in 1 sideshows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 21:01, Harley Newman wrote:
Earl "Presto" Johnson.

Earl was a class act. I met him in the Catskills and had the opportunity to visit with him after his show. May he rest in peace.

Glenn
Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Two that I cant believe no one mentioned!!!!! Walt Hudson and Tim Deremer!!!!!!!!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Jeff McBride
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I know of Jeff's work on the midway, but that he worked a sideshow was news to me.

Quote:
On 2012-01-04 00:08, dmkraig wrote:
Jeff McBride
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
He once told me he ran a flat store.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
I worked the N.J.State Fair in Jerry Lipko's 10 and 1 twice in the early 60's. One year I got $3. a day and was happy the following year because I got a raise to $5. a day.( I also got 20% of the blade box ,which was where the money was ) At the time ,this was the going rate for carnival help except the game operators. Some of them were making $25 a day working on a pc. Considering the difference ,it's easy to see why some very good entertainers put their props away and went to work ON the midway.
Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Great story Jim, would LOVE to hear more stories of the old days!!!
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Don Boles
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Howard Bone
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-04 17:04, Harley Newman wrote:
He once told me he ran a flat store.

I met Jeff in Orange County, New York when I joined the SAM assembly in Middletown. I lived in the next county. Jeff, Ron Frost and I did a show together for one of our awards banquets. He showed me how to produce cards. I loved his flinging cards hitting the floor and going off into the audience.

I never knew he worked on a midway. And totally surprised to know that he ran a "flat" store. Last time I saw Jeff was at our Magician of the Year contest. I set the fire alarm system off when I used flash powder. Never forget that night. Jeff's brother, Clay, was also in our assembly.

Glenn
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Jeff worked a razzle joint. Will wonders never cease.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hopefully not!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Todd, which razzle game did he work? It is just so hard to imagine Jeff working a razzle game. It must have been in Goshen or in Orange County. I know he did shows when the fair came around there.

Glenn
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 09:10, Todd Robbins wrote:
Jeff worked a razzle joint. Will wonders never cease.

People have been known to do "strange" things when they get hungry enough.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

I understand that. No relection on Jeff, I was curious about the allegation of him working a razzle store. Glenn
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I believe it was back here in NYC. I might be wrong about that. All I know is that when I was at Abbotts one year, a carny friend told me that. When I asked Jeff about that, he confirmed it. As I say, that about all I know. He might have been a roper handing out the "free game" cards or he might have worked the store. I'll have to ask for some details next time I'm in Vegas.

Quote:
On 2012-01-11 11:37, Police Magician wrote:
Todd, which razzle game did he work? It is just so hard to imagine Jeff working a razzle game. It must have been in Goshen or in Orange County. I know he did shows when the fair came around there.

Glenn
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Thank you Todd.
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
397 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
I don't count but did work in several ten in ones in the fifties into the early sixties,first act was glass walk, eventually learned all the working acts, proud to say that Melvin Burkhardt taught me the human blockhead, the only one I still do on a regular basis as part of my performance
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 11:39, actorscotty wrote:
I don't count but did work in several ten in ones in the fifties into the early sixties,first act was glass walk, eventually learned all the working acts, proud to say that Melvin Burkhardt taught me the human blockhead, the only one I still do on a regular basis as part of my performance

My opinion doesn't count...However, I count you...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Don Driver,
Did I see you perform next to Sealo at the 1976 State Fair in Hawaii?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Magician's who worked in 10 in 1 sideshows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL