The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Magician's who worked in 10 in 1 sideshows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I'm interested in what magicians have worked traditional sideshows at some point in their career. Marshall Brodein, Dick Johnson, Roy Huston, and Harry Houdini come to mind. Who else?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Al Flosso...and me but I don't count lol
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Oh yes "the coney Island Fakir" I have been meaning to get his book
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
One of the great sideshow showmen Melvin Burkhart (the original human blockhead) performed a variety of physical acts (i.e. the man with wo faces, the human skeleton) but also performed traditional magic effects like the professors nightmare and the die box. Which raises an interesting question about if this sideshow performer could also be called a magician. At any rate he was a consumate entertainer.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Which show did you work Don?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Johnny Thompson's first job in the biz was as a sword swallower, and was fired by the Great Waldo.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I worked on four different shows for John Bradshaw,Bobby Reynolds,Jack Waller and Sam Alexander all in the 70's.

I believe Jay Marshall worked in a 10 in one.I know Marshall Brodine did.Johnny Eck the half boy from Baltimore,my home town,was a very good magician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Eck
Stigmata
View Profile
New user
A small remote village in NAM
52 Posts

Profile of Stigmata
Theres so many sideshow weirdos currently that are big into magic. Im not sure what would define them as magicians though overall. Seeing half them make a living doing shows that combine magic & sideshow. Some that I have never seen do magic on their stage show but seen them do magic tricks many times over the years.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Harry Murphy, who used to be a frequent poster here, performed as the World's Youngest Magician with a sideshow (can't recall which one) when he was a youth.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Tony Slydini worked at Hubert's on 42nd St. Al Baker also got his start working in a sideshow. Ward Hall did a magic act at one time, as did Bobby Reynolds. Bob Sheets worked in the sideshow on the Big John Strong Circus back in the 1970s. Erich Weiss worked in a sideshow. And though not a magician, Bud Abbott of Abbott and Costello was the stick out at the Dreamland Sideshow in Coney Island.

And just for the record Johnny Thompson was fired by showman Dick Best because of an incident with the Great Waldo.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Marshall Brodein @ Riverveiw Park (Chicago)..He also talked the Front...Johnny Carson as the Great Carsoni I believed labored in a Sideshow also...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 16:08, Todd Robbins wrote:
And just for the record Johnny Thompson was fired by showman Dick Best because of an incident with the Great Waldo.

Thanks for clearing that up... He left out that detail.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Mathias Buchinger (The "Little Man From Nuremberg") wasn't a sideshow performer, but he is often mentioned in sideshow histories, and he was said to be a fantastic magician.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Here's a bit of information that even Ricky Jay doesn't know. If you look in your copy of Learned Pigs & Fire Proof Women you will find a reprint of the Kelty photo of the Dreamland Sideshow featuring Mortado (the guy how had pierced hands and feet) in that photo you will find Wally Krueger. He was the son of Pop Krueger and brother in law of Al Flosso. Wally was a long distance drinker that would often so drunk, he would fall off the stage. Fortunately, the show's stick (this was years after Bud Abbott left) had seen the act so many times, that he could jump up on stage and do the act. That is how Frances Finneran, later known as France Carlyle got into magic. Wally is in the backrow of that photo and Frances is on the far right wearing a Panama Hat.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Me
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Walt Stimax and myself had a sideshow for several years in the 60's. We played smaller fairs in the Northeast. Walt and I took turns on the front talking and going inside...I did magic, blade box pitch and the blow-off. Walt did fire , blockhead and nailboard. My wife did electric girl,and contorion, blade box and bally....
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Earl "Presto" Johnson.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Jim, I love the new avatar!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The ONE proper 10-in-1 I saw in my lifetime, to date, included a local guy who was booked to do the blockhead, and to perform platform magic while part of the tip went in to see the blow-off.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 23:32, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Jim, I love the new avatar!

Thanks and the BEST part was I didn't have to wait for the paint to dry....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Magician's who worked in 10 in 1 sideshows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL