The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Taking Plastic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
There was a point made here about taking credit cards on the street.

This link popped up on my MSN homepage;

https://squareup.com/photographers

It's slanted toward photographers, but I think the idea is still valid.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Lliam
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lliam
Thanks for sharing! Not sure how that would sound on the street though. "Okay now I'm gonna pass around the hat and YES we take visa" Smile Smile But still a good idea! Smile
Lliam
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Actually, I think the suggestion was a phone app to accept tips, not a credit card reader. But the theory was still there.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Lliam
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lliam
Yeah Smile I just read in the "Table hoppers & party strollers" section someone suggesting using this to have clients pay you Smile That would be a great use for this! My one concern with something like this is that since it's kinda new and it's free it might not be that secure. You wouldn't want it to get hacked and have your clients credit card info get stolen. But maybe I'm just being paranoid Smile
Lliam
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 08:58, Lliam wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Not sure how that would sound on the street though. "Okay now I'm gonna pass around the hat and YES we take visa" Smile Smile But still a good idea! Smile
Lliam

Years ago, before the internet had this capability, I'd pass the hat saying, "Visa, Mastercard, American Express..."
In Europe, people thought that last one was really funny.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 08:59, Lliam wrote:
Yeah Smile I just read in the "Table hoppers & party strollers" section someone suggesting using this to have clients pay you Smile That would be a great use for this! My one concern with something like this is that since it's kinda new and it's free it might not be that secure. You wouldn't want it to get hacked and have your clients credit card info get stolen. But maybe I'm just being paranoid Smile
Lliam

This day and age, nothing "paranoid" about it, L.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Actually this is a credit card reader. It's a module you plug into your smartphone that has a CC slot. Rates are reasonable and usually better than other payment methods.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
But, as a street performer; Do, you want to have a better phone, than an audience, member?

The biggest problem; Aside, from getting people to trust you, this is not a scam or attempt @ identity, theft....

Is, how time consuming, the device is.

"Can, you all, please form a single-file, line to pay me."

I, imagine this would work for, one or two more tips...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Maybe it won't work, but you never know...
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
*Better; Send, a private message*
KingNothing
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of KingNothing
Firstly, I don't have an android or an iPhone, so I can't use this.
Secondly, I don't think I'd bother. If you think about it, who's going to let someone they just met on the street, no matter how good his performance is, scan money off their credit card with a cell phone?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This idea is not in the spirit of busking, in my opinion. The ONLY way that I would ever consider this is, if we were marketing our dvds or effects on a nearby table or after the show. To take or ask for credit card/debit payment for one's performance seems a bit pretentious. Once again, this is my personal opinion based on experience only.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
Only available in the US right now and YES there are flaws in this system. Just like virtually any other transaction, hackers have already identified some weaknesses in the system. I believe the fact it runs through the audio jack and therefore uses electrical audio signals to transfer the information- not encrypted- makes it open to exploitation with a little know how. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1116417/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Taking Plastic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL