The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop-less chop cup? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Let me start by saying I have been doing cup and balls for a while. I have seen chop cups used but have never used one in my C&B routine. I have just gotten in a brand spanking new PK utility device and one of the first things to spring into mind was a chop cup with out the gimmick inside the cup. I see lots of potential for this device and the C&B. One of the ideas I had was producing the ball from the cup, while having the cup in hand and up off the table mouth down. I know that Gary Darwin made the suggestion of a chop-less chop cup in his Encyclopedia of TT Magic (Vol 3 I think). I thought I would present this to the forum and see what some thoughts on the subject might be.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
My thought is maybe you should do a search before asking this question.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 19:12, bblumen wrote:

Brian

I did and didn't find any thing. BTW usually when someone post a snide remark like yours they provide a link, but I guess you feel since you are sitting behind your key board and anonymous you can be as rude and crude as you want with no repercussion. I hope that your remark made you feel better about your self since you got to make fun of some one else. Have nice day Brian.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I have preferred a chop-less chop cup for quite some time and mentioned it here on more than one occasion. In fact, RNTII used to have a PK Chop Cup that was a solid copper gaffless cup that looked very much like a standard Chop Cup but relied on the operator to provide the external "influence." I don't know if Donnie carried this over when he took over for Jake.

I used Gary Animal's Golf cup and a PK ring at a trade show with some success with 2 golf ball final loads.

I prefer a m**** ball rather than the standard chop ball as it exerts more pull and when combined with the PK, you can feel the ball through just about any cup, including borrowed ones like coffee mugs.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 19:07, Martock wrote:
Let me start by saying I have been doing cup and balls for a while. I have seen chop cups used but have never used one in my C&B routine. I have just gotten in a brand spanking new PK utility device and one of the first things to spring into mind was a chop cup with out the gimmick inside the cup. I see lots of potential for this device and the C&B. One of the ideas I had was producing the ball from the cup, while having the cup in hand and up off the table mouth down. I know that Gary Darwin made the suggestion of a chop-less chop cup in his Encyclopedia of TT Magic (Vol 3 I think). I thought I would present this to the forum and see what some thoughts on the subject might be.

Since this is an open section of the forum, you really need to wait until you have 50 posts and can get into the Secret Sessions before we can tell you what you need to know. You have worded your question well, though. Take a look at Lee Keebler's routine.

http://www.outofsleight.com/store/genera......d-balls/
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a LOT of "chopless" chop cup routines on the market right now, some cheap, some not so cheap.

Axel Hecklau has one, Craig Petty has one, Pete Biro and Joe Porper have one. There have been chopless chop cup routines around for the past 30 years.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 19:25, Martock wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 19:12, bblumen wrote:

Brian

I did and didn't find any thing. BTW usually when someone post a snide remark like yours they provide a link, but I guess you feel since you are sitting behind your key board and anonymous you can be as rude and crude as you want with no repercussion. I hope that your remark made you feel better about your self since you got to make fun of some one else. Have nice day Brian.

HEY! Don't get your panties in a wad. I didn't find his "remark" snide at all. He is NOT making fun of you. And he is NOT anonymous. He puts his name on all his posts.

If you searched and didn't find anything, it tells me that you don't know how to use the search function on the Café. This doesn't mean you are stupid or ignorant. It just means that you haven't figured it out yet.

So, I'll tell you, even though I have already given you some links that might help you and some other information as well.

Almost everything to do with the cups and balls is in the Ever so Sleightly section, except for the things in the Secret Sessions, which you can't access, anyway, because you don't have enough posts.

So, do a search in the Ever so Sleightly section using a phrase, such as "One cup and ball" or "single cup and ball."

There is another part of the Café that has some info about chop cup routines. That's the review section. So do a search there using a term such as "Chop cup." This will turn up things like the Axel Hecklau routine that I mentioned.

There is another way, as well. Use google to search the Magic Café. Put a term such as "chopless chop cup magic Café" in the Google search line and see what happens.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Can I just say that as somebody with less than 50 posts I am unable to find all the information that others have access to. Also on occasion I am provided with a link to something that I do not have access rights to read.
I personally find the 'why don't you just search' response quite rude too, surely saying hey try here and providing a link is much friendlier???

Sometimes us noobs don't know what to search for, PK what?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Also don't forget chopless chop routines that use solely sleight of hand. Larry Jennings, Scotty York, Michael Ammar.....
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Here's one of my responses posted just a few months ago. All the key words are there to find it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7155213
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
729 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 04:21, pepka wrote:
Also don't forget chopless chop routines that use solely sleight of hand. Larry Jennings, Scotty York, Michael Ammar.....

Bob White explains the Vernon one cup routine on his Cups & Balls: A Practical Approach.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Hey Paul & Martock, I have been working extensively on a project that correlates with what you are asking. The project is completed but there have been some hang up on the duplication end of the project (which seem to be working themselves out as we speak).

I have been rather "out of pocket" sense I relocated. However, this will ALL change in the next week Smile

-Lee

ps. Paul, we have all had less than 50 posts at some point, honestly its all about community here and the 50 post rule is just part of that. It is in place as form of proof that you are willing to contribute as well as receive information. Stick around and contribute and you'll have full access in no time. The "you should search" response is simply in play and acceptable because some of us have been here for years and don't want to have to retype the same dissertation every time a new person arrives. When I was new 5 or so years ago, I got the "do a search" response often. At first it put me out, but after a few searches I always found what I was looking for. I can personally promise that enough poking around will return the results you are looking for on this particular inquiry. I know this to be true because I wrote a large portion of them. Keep the search up and you'll find your answer and much much more. See you on the "50+ post" side of the fence soon my friend!
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Hey I honestly have no problem with the 50 post rule and I really value the community here! It's just that with limited access some the information is masked from us, I have no fundamental issue with that, only pointing out that our searches may therefore draw a blank.
I think all forums have this issue unless some kind soul offers to curate a list of FAQs and links to relevant posts - quite a task on a forum as active as the Café!
Martock
View Profile
New user
NC, Currently in FL
35 Posts

Profile of Martock
My thoughts in posting this wasn't to discuss the method just the effect. Like I said in my OP, I have never really used a chop cup of any sort and with my new acquisition, along with seeing this idea talked about by Mr. Darwin, thought it may be something I might add to my repertoire. I have only seen a few routines using this gimmick. So, I was hoping to get links to old post, or hear what you all would have to say about this subject. Since upon doing a search before posting (like I thought was implied before posting on any forum)could not find anything and still have not been able to. I have no intent of trying to beat the proverbial dead horse. I am just reaching out to what I thought was an open community to help push my creative process down a trail it had not been on before. To Bill Palmer, I could type any name I wanted to at the end of my post and that still would not make me any less anonymous than any one else.

All the best to you all,
Mr. Jack B. Rabbit (Wink Wink)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? there's not much new on wearing a ring or TT and chopping away. It can help with both in the hands type vanish methods and the under the cup show/no show.

There are much older books describing the use of spikes in cups to manage the lodge/dislodge, and more recent books discuss the use of threads. The basic problem is not new, thousands of years old and a really good approach appears to use stones but really uses bread. How about that ... and now you can add a much stronger force to that silent approach. Smile

Do you have any specific questions regarding what you seek to accomplish when using this technology?

There's no shame in using two such balls in your routine, or all of them including the load items.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
One of the most unique "chop" cup routines I've ever seen was done by Steve Dusheck. It was much more than a chop cup routine...
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hey Bblumen! Are you trying to take my job away?

Here allow me to go against my feelings: http://www.google.com/search?client=safa......bih=1064

And if you want I can rip some dvds and upload it and scan some books too. Why wait for 50 posts! such an unneccessary formality.

Aaaand waiting for the anvil to drop in 3...2...1.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26992 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-08-16 11:02, marD wrote:
One of the most unique "chop" cup routines I've ever seen was done by Steve Dusheck. It was much more than a chop cup routine...

Steve's a clever guy. Is that item in print? One of his five books or perhaps the lecture DVD?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The link to Lee Keebler's routine does not require 50 posts. Neither does the review section. If you do a search using Axel Hecklau as the key phrase, his "Not a Chop Cup" routine will show up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop-less chop cup? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL