The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too much advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Im wondering , being a young magician myself, and without sounding arrogant, I am very dedicated , I take it very seriously and yeah, I'm dedicated for sure. So when Someone tells me about their 10 year old son and that trick he does, I feel awkward, I normally get the old, he learned it from youtube. So I thought how much does the average layman know, normally a layman will have one or two card tricks they know surely? however I normally end up telling them to get royal road, whether they do or not I don't know.

I figure it this way, if they want to know one or two tricks , they will and will learn off youtube probably.

If they want to know one or two tricks and buy royal road, they'll probably get very scared and daunted by the work that their head immediately blows up in confusion, or so I figure.

However if they want to learn a bit of magic and spend a while practicing, they will be fine and I wish them the best of luck.

Sound pheasible?
samuwel
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of samuwel
Not really sure what you're asking here.....?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Simon,

What I typically do when someone wants to share a trick with me is to be very polite, watch, and say, "that was very nice". If it was reasonably well done - something they had to work at and not a self working trick - I may make one small suggestion on how to execute the technique better or in the presentation.

Don't come off as teacher/student. That will sound like you are downplaying their skill and dismissing the effort they've made. I don't recommend books much anymore, because of the very point you made, but typically suggest they visit a local magic shop to get started.

Hudson
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I agree with you in regards to your topic header. Most people who ask say wanting to learn coins don't even know how to do a fd (assuming), and already they are bombarded with Bobo, and other tons of book and dvd suggestions. I'm so sure, go out and get even 2 of each (if lucky enough) and still do not know how to fd - well, or can't even do a put and take - yes. Too much advice! Cause I think after awhile, most seasoned pros and hobbyists forget how to really direct a total rookie magician.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If someone tells you about his kid who does a trick, smile and say "that's great! I hope he sticks with it because the world can always use more magic." If someone shows you a card trick, thank him and be gracious. If someone asks for direction about where to learn more, give an honest review of your favorite source. For example, you can say "my favorite book for card magic is Royal Road. It is kind of a dense book so if you get it, don't let it bog you down. There's a lot in there. You can also check out a local magic shop and see what they have to offer you."

I know I was rather gauche when I was younger and would have wanted to make it clear that I was a better magician than the other guy or his kid, but you don't get anywhere in life like that. Now I know that if I inspire others to make magic, there is more fun in the world and one more guy learning to entertain his friends rather than just sitting around watching TV. The world gets better.

I guess I'm saying just be kind, be positive, try to encourage others.

-Patrick
thelearner
View Profile
Regular user
Bournemouth, UK
187 Posts

Profile of thelearner
I think that a great place for someone to start is by doing self-working tricks or tricks that require little skill. Once they've started they will either get passionnate about magic or lose interest within a couple of days or weeks. I wouldn't recommend the royal road to someone starting out, but might consider it if they have shown some effort in learning magic. That's just me though. I think it's best to encourage even the smallest interest, but slowly. Tim
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You know it's not that unusual for folks to know at least 'one' trick of some kind. Not incredibly common, but folks will ofter learn one or two tricks that their dad did or an uncle, etc.

I knew a guy that did ONE card trick based on some basic sleight-of-hand. He had been doing it for like 30 years and he had it nailed down. He KILLED me with it. (Not literally....) It was impressive. In fact that one trick was better than a lot of stuff 'pros' perform! He showed me what he did and I learned something that day I've used for years.

MOST of what you will see as a one-off trick will not be worth much, but be on the look out. That experience above has happened to me about six times in the last 40 years and I've gotten something good each time.

Further on the topic: A LOT of folks will be happy with the one trick and have no desire to do more. That's fine. What magic demands if you are going to learn more than one trick IS a certain devotion to the practice of the craft. At 58 yrs old I'm trying to learn to play the guitar. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Guess what the ability to execute a perfect Second Deal did NOT help with my music skills. What helped was the discipline of practice I already had. I work at it a little bit every day. I am NOT going to be Stevie Ray Vaughn.....rats.

Best,
Brad Burt
ThinkThurston
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThinkThurston
That's okay Brad, you might just end up being your own version of Keith Richards. Less technical skills but the same amount of musical talent (subjective statement of course.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too much advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL