The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Veteran teacher suspended for gay bashing on Facebook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 14:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 20:40, gdw wrote:
If their employer thinks such views, or their being in the open, will/can be a problem, then why not?

Would you want to keep a bigot on your payroll?

I find it odd that you don't wish elected governments to have authority over individuals, but you have no problem with corporate entities being public censors.

John

How is it, in any way, censoring? He is still completely free to say and think what ever he wants.

If I had a friend, and they made some bigoted remark, then I severed my friendship with them, would I be "censoring" them?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You don't think that the threat of economic sanction (demotion or termination) in retaliation for public speech is censorship? How is it different from the threat of a fine?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 16:22, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
You don't think that the threat of economic sanction (demotion or termination) in retaliation for public speech is censorship? How is it different from the threat of a fine?

The Beatles never wrote and recorded a song entitled I Feel Economic Sanction (Demotion or Termination)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 16:39, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

The Beatles never wrote and recorded a song entitled I Feel Economic Sanction (Demotion or Termination)

That's 'cause "The Man" wouldn't let 'em!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:

John

The difference is that one is a voluntary association, the other is not.

Free speech does not require private citizens to accommodate expressions of bigotry.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 16:39, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

LOL.

Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
As Jerome Horowitz would say, "Here's a coincidence."

http://www.indianagazette.com/article_bb......ad0.html
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-19 16:56, gdw wrote:
Quote:

John

Free speech does not require private citizens to accommodate expressions of bigotry.

Under our current laws, this is (largely) true. We have protections of free speech because we a vulnerable to abuses from the state. If we remove the state, why are suddenly not vulnerable to the largest powers?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Because, again, voluntary association. That's another freedom you know. You have no right to force an employer to associate with you.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

So do you support any rights for workers? Or in your political scheme can an employer demand anything it wants of an employee because the employee can always quit?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
GDW believes the labor market is a free market.
Workers have the same options as employers to be instantly mobile and to go off shore for other opportunities.
Workers have the same options as employers to live on the bracing air.
Workers have the same right to organize as do employers to form cartels to enforce their demands.

If only.
Supply and demand for the labor commodity rules. Of course when the supply outstrips the demand, that's where a Swiftian analysis takes over.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:

John

Yes it does.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Cartels simply are unsustainable in an actual free market.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-19 21:03, landmark wrote:
GDW believes the labor market is a free market.
Workers have the same options as employers to be instantly mobile and to go off shore for other opportunities.
Workers have the same options as employers to live on the bracing air.
Workers have the same right to organize as do employers to form cartels to enforce their demands.

If only.
Supply and demand for the labor commodity rules. Of course when the supply outstrips the demand, that's where a Swiftian analysis takes over.

I think that this is slightly unfair. As I read gdw he believes that these things OUGHT to be the case, not that they are now.

I still disagree with this position, but I think it is closer to what he claims.

(But your description of union movements as "cartels" is nice Smile )

John
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 21:26, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

John

Yes it does.

Really? Then I guess I can say what ever I want here on the Café, as they are obligated to accommodate me doing so.

**** **** **** **** !@#$%^& mother ****er tits, nope, clearly it doesn't.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 21:27, gdw wrote:
Cartels simply are unsustainable in an actual free market.

A free market is free until it isn't free.
Ice is a solid until it melts.
What makes you think a cartel is unsustainable? What would make it so?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 20:33, landmark wrote:
I don't think anyone should be suspended from their jobs because of what they think/say rather than what they do.

But protecting teachers from potential consequences of their freedom of expression is a secondary consideration to the students' interest.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 02:12, landmark wrote:
Danny, to me that is the problem. What is the standard? My beliefs as a Republican/Democrat/Communist/Evolutionist/Hypnotist/Fundamentalist? That's why I think you need to be judged on actions not beliefs; we've been down that road many times, and it gets ugly fast.

Admittedly though, with teachers it gets tricky. If one demonstrably holds anti-semitic views, can s/he do his or her job properly? Even then, I would want to see evidence of discrimination in the classroom--which I suspect I would find fairly quickly. Ditto for any other kind of workplace.

A Facebook post IS an action.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Excuse me if I misunderstood the article, but the guy finds the idea of gay sex "disgusting". Well, so do I. If I didn't, I'd do it.

America--land of the free and home of the brave. Just don't say what you really think, or someone's feelings might get hurt. Home of the brave. Just be careful when you are on Facebook.

Is this what the world has come to? And people wonder why I am depressed? Is anyone out there sane anymore?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 23:28, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-18 20:33, landmark wrote:
I don't think anyone should be suspended from their jobs because of what they think/say rather than what they do.

But protecting teachers from potential consequences of their freedom of expression is a secondary consideration to the students' interest.

Not so sure of that. It's incredibly powerful to see someone live by Voltaire's supposed dictum. The Ed Dept could say, we think this is disgusting, etc., but we think the principle is so fundamental to what makes us Americans, etc. A huge lesson, as was the case in the above mentioned NY Fire Dept example.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Veteran teacher suspended for gay bashing on Facebook (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL