We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
A local restauarant is having a pancake breakfast to raise money for the owner who has liver cancer. There restaurant has 3 locations. I was contacted by them to see if I could do about an hour of walk around. There will be a ton a lot of kids there, and the restaurant said they will promote me and at the next fundraiser will make sure we work out an arrangement for me to get paid. What would you guys do?

I think I will do it since I can hand out cards to all the tables especially since there will be plenty of kids there. Since it's close up I really don't have to spend any time setting up. In additon, If I get promotion from them i.e. raido, print,website link, placemats, ect.... And then I can also discuss the idea of working regular nights at all locations.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Go for it. If you get absolutely nothing from this, at least you helped a guy with cancer. My mom passed from cancer in a death I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I always try to help people out when I can.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I also say go for it...... Its a good cause
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I'd do it.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you do not have to give up anything to do it, helping a man who is that sick is a reward all its own.

I doubt you will make a penny from it. But it still sounds worth it to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
You'll also get a free meal I hope.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Good luck. Realize that many of those contributing will have a close connection to the cancer patient and will assume that all are there for the common good so being promotional may need to be tempered somewhat as it may not be well received if it appears that it is your motive.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
As it was mentioned, if you're not giving up a paid gig in order to participate, you should donate your time and talent.
At the very least you will be making a huge deposit into your Good Karma account!
Feel free to pass out business cards, as long your actions come from the heart, filled with the spirit of sharing, it will
be a great experience. Good deeds harvest a wealth of untold royalties.
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
Thanks everyone. You are all saying what I feel.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I am at a loss trying to figure out where all the "do it" advice comes from. Why does everybody, including ourselves, think that as entertainers we can just give away our product (our time and shows.) Does anybody ask their doctor to donate an operation or their lawyer to donate a lawsuit? But everybody expects us as entertainers to donate our shows. I will state that there is one group that I will not only donate a show to but have even given up a paying job to do a free show for them so I am not really a hard ***. But the idea that we can donate whenever but other professions aren't asked seems to denigrate our profession.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2011-08-19 21:28, Paddy wrote:
I am at a loss trying to figure out where all the "do it" advice comes from. Why does everybody, including ourselves, think that as entertainers we can just give away our product (our time and shows.) Does anybody ask their doctor to donate an operation or their lawyer to donate a lawsuit? But everybody expects us as entertainers to donate our shows. I will state that there is one group that I will not only donate a show to but have even given up a paying job to do a free show for them so I am not really a hard ***. But the idea that we can donate whenever but other professions aren't asked seems to denigrate our profession.

Paddy, you make a good point. I'd do the gig but I would hope that the people putting on the fund raiser realize that they are getting several hundred dollars worth of services.

I have been asked to clown for a fund raiser and there was going to be a DJ and other entertainers. I found out they were paying the other entertainers but did not want to pay the clown. So, I said no.

It is true that magicians (or other entertainers) should not be asked to donate time if others are getting paid. But there are times when doctors and hospitals do donate services. You just usually don't hear about it. I have worked with churches where we talked to doctors and hospitals and got them to reduce rates for specific hardship cases.

But Paddy, I agree with you completely that the public often thinks that we should do everything free. That is not right.

I know that almost every local business owner gets asked to sponsor little league teams or donate services for the high school band's coupon book fund raiser.

You have to pick and choose 'cause there is a lot more need than ability to help in this ol' world.

But in this case I would do it (of course if it prevented me from doing a paying gig to provide for my family then I'd turn down the fund raiser).
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1870 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Paddy,
I agree. First, he owns three restaurants, do he it probably is financially doing betterq than I am ; and I am sure there are people who need help more than he does..

Second, I don't know him personally, and I doubt he would donate that type of time for me if the situation was reversed.

Third, when you give away your service, people think it is worth every penny they paid.

Fourth, when you do gig for free, it generates more gigs.... for free

Now if this guy is known for good selfless service to the community,or I need the pratice, those may change my mind.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
Does anybody ask their doctor to donate an operation or their lawyer to donate a lawsuit?

Yes. And they often say "yes"

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
No it's not just magicians that get asked to help, most all business owners get asked often
to donate money and services to some cause. If they gave to everyone that called, they would
probably be out of business soon. Business owners are listening to phone pitches almost daily. Maybe not to everybody that calls, but they do give often.

So if I got the opportunity to help a local fellow business owner, especially one that had cancer,
I would do it if at all possible.

Besides, getting involved in local events like this really is a good way to keep your name out there.

Doubtful you will be doing another show at breakfast time anyway. Smile

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Its always important to be selective with charities you decide to work with, but also to take an opportunity when you see it. I always seem to luck out with my charity gigs because they always comp me something very nice or cool things just happen. I just got back from a charity show (it was a favor to my friend who just started the organization). I entered the raffle and ended up winning a nice bottle of cognac and 10 tickets to a great comedy club. Plus, the money everyone helped raise goes to a good cause. Win win!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The reason I said "if you don't have to give up another paid gig" was for a very good reason.

I figure the guy was "local". To me, in rural America that means a lot. Maybe not as much when you live in a large metropolitan area.

Second it is breakfast. Heck man if I can help a "local" who is that sick with something before noon I always will. Near me many many times the doctor will donate a whole boatload of things.

I sort of was under the impression at first that he knew the people. Now when I read the post again it does not appear that way. But that aside as I said he will probably not make a penny from it. He will probably not land another gig that pays from it. Still in all if it is breakfast and you have nothing better to do anyhow and know going in that all you are doing is helping a "local", it is not such a horrible thing.

I can certainly see where anyone would not do this and would not tell them they are wrong. I do not do free shows. I have never had the opportunity to do a breakfast show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Richard, there are guaranteed ways you can get something out of this.

#1. Pictures. Before you accept offers like this make an agreement it is okay for you to use the photos as promotion purposes for your business. Use your own camera. Hand it to a friend to follow you around for free as you perform.

Ask the owner if he will have a photographer at the scene. If so, tell him you want the photographer to email you the images so you can use them for promotional purposes.

#2. Videos. Same as above with a camcorder.

#3. Make an agreement with the owner he will type you a letter of recommendation of how good your services were. I would not recommend for "donated", "contributed" or "volunteered his services" to be shown on the letter for two reasons. Reason number one is because others might ask you for all type of donations after reading it. Reason number two is because others will think of you as cheap with no skill.

#4. Make an agreement to leave your flier in the store for at least a month. Or have his waitresses hand out your fliers to the customers as they take orders. (You pay for the printing of your own fliers.)

#5. If you can think of something else promotional for you business, be sure to request it to the owner.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But Mike with all due respect do you want to turn a fundraiser for a man who is that sick into a promotional vehicle for yourself?

Also that will guarantee NOTHING in the way of dollars.

One thing though I forgot to mention. If I did something like this I would take a fee, and donate it back. This way if someone DOES happen to ask what your cost is, there is a number attached to it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:

That's the first intelligent thing anyone has said on here.

Believe me - there WON'T be a "next time".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And nobody says there should or must be a next time. BUT during breakfast if you can help a neighbor who has cancer, why wouldn't you? This is my point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising Gig (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL