We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
I am at a loss trying to figure out where all the "do it" advice comes from. Why does everybody, including ourselves, think that as entertainers we can just give away our product (our time and shows.) Does anybody ask their doctor to donate an operation or their lawyer to donate a lawsuit? But everybody expects us as entertainers to donate our shows. I will state that there is one group that I will not only donate a show to but have even given up a paying job to do a free show for them so I am not really a hard ***. But the idea that we can donate whenever but other professions aren't asked seems to denigrate our profession.

A doctor at the hospital I work at diagnosed Michael Douglas' throat cancer last year. This despite two or three other doctors missing the cancer. This diagnosis most likely saved his life. In return Michael called the doctor and asked what he could do as a thank you. He was asked if he could attend the annual fundraising dinner, which he agreed to do at his own expense. So yes, do it. People give of themselves in all walks of life.

John
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
John, that is true, people from all professions do give of themselves. However, entertainers are expected to do free shows, others get high praise for donating their time & expertice, but we are looked down on if we DON'T. That's the difference. People don't see the hours of practice, rehearsal, writing lines, developing our act that go on before they see the show so they think what we do is not important enough so we SHOULD do it for free to help THEM get money.

Sorry, but if one doctor asked Michael Douglas to perform, so what, how about all the others that wouldn't and people don't ask them but the demand it of us.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20346 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Paddy you are right. No doubt. But there are ways arround those situations.

I don't get asked to do free shows, yet I have done many of them to raise money for the homeless shelter I volunteer at. I have done free shows to help people near me who just needed it. I expect NOTHING from these endevours, much the same way I expect NOTHING IN RETURN for my volunteer work. It is what it is.

Doing this sort of thing for free to hope to get "exposure" is not really going to work. Doing it for Karma, or whatever reason you choose to do good works, does work. It is and can be its own reward.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Sorry you feel that way Paddy. At least you can still say NO and that's fine too.

John
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah if you cannot do it, good cause for sure though. I usually get calls just because they want something for free. Different when there is a real reason to help someone who is ill.

DC
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
My point is not "don't do freebies." I, too do them for organizations I believe in. It is that we are EXPECTED to donate while others are not.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20346 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes there is a difference in being "expected" to do it and doing it because it is something you believe in.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising Gig (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL