The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tony Star performs iSight – Wizard Product Review Special Report (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 00:29, Steve Brooks wrote:
I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this thread but I think for the benefit of all I need to add a few lines myself.

Yes, I was there and saw this idiot perform the stunt with the coin...ridiculous is really an understatement.

When I saw champion magician Shawn Farquhar and others get all excited by this obvious act of desperation for attention, I couldn't believe they were enjoying the trainwreck I was watching.

This is NOT magic folks - not even close. There is no secret method employed here, the guy is only using a part of his face that was deformed when the lad was born, that's all.

I asked Shawn about this as the two of us looked on (Btw, Shawn is a friend so I say this as an observation) and he said something about the crowd it gathered. Sure, and so will a good car accident when they start pulling the bodies out.

This Tony kid is a street worker in Las Vegas that someone pulled into the Orleans to show him to the magicians gathered for Magic Live. Tony was NOT registered for the event like the rest of us, he was just there to give everyone a free freakshow.

It is my understanding from others in Las Vegas that Tony has had to seek medical attention on many occasions to deal with various infections caused from using dirty coins and letting strangers place their fingers in his eye sockets...gee, ya think?

While I was in the Navy I knew a guy who had a pet grass snake. The snake would enter his nose and slither out of his left ear...sick looking, but again - NOT magic folks. I'm sure P.T.Barnum would have jumped at the chance to hire both of these fellows to stand behind glass in his museum and perform each day for onlookers.

Someone at Magic Live exclaimed; "He's going to sell a million DVDs of this..." Really? I want to know what producer would be stupid enough to waste his time shooting this stunt and taking on the obvious legal liabilities that would come with releasing such a package.

Youngsters - I emplore you not to try stuff like this, its dangerous and is not magic. You want the respect and admiration of your peers? Fine - but you will not obtain it this way, at least not from me.

Just my opinion folks. Smile

I make a point of not being one of the usual Café sycophants, Steve, but I'll ditch that principle to say I agree with you 100%.

Penn and Petty haven't exactly covered themselves in glory showing this nonsense either.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 14:38, Ray Chelt wrote:

I make a point of not being one of the usual Café sycophants, Steve, but I'll ditch that principle to say I agree with you 100%.

"..one of the usual Café sycophants"? Excuse me?? I'm sure we are all charmed and overwhelmed by your kind outlook on the Café membership here. How great and wonderful it must be to be you! WOW!!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 23:45, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 14:38, Ray Chelt wrote:

"..one of the usual Café sycophants"? Excuse me?? I'm sure we are all charmed and overwhelmed by your kind outlook on the Café membership here. How great and wonderful it must be to be you! WOW!!

I wouldn't say it was wonderful to be me...just slightly above average would be fairer Smile
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
He wouldn't be the first to use a physical abnormality to his advantage in magic. One of the most viewed magic performances of all time on youtube uses somebody else's abnormality to the magician's advantage. At least Tony is using his own. I actually think the routine is quite brilliant, as the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

If he were to just do the coin/finger eye stunts, it would be just that. A gross out physical stunt. And if he were to just do the second part of the trick involving basic sleight of hand, you (lay people) wouldn't wince or believe for a minute he's doing what he's purportedly doing. The brilliance here is that he breaks down our walls of what is and what is not physically possible with the shocking opening stunt. At that point I'd figure most lay people are now in such a state of disbelief (actually belief) that they'll go with it and believe something as absurd as dragging a coin along the folds of your skin and into your mouth is somehow possible. And it's the combination that puts the video at nearly half a million hits.

Of course to most of us, we don't see the whole. We just see an over-the-top stunt followed up with fairly transparent sleight of hand/mouth.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Was just talking about this tonight! Funny, the things we remember.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Funniest thread I've seen on here for ages.
Jamie Fergusons lies are truly embarrassing. Still sticking by the fact you put 10p in your eye and got bruising Jamie?
Ha ha
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
That was Crazy ! very hard to watch it's like Mullica with the Cigarettes a one of a kind act !!!!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2011, Steve Brooks wrote:

While I was in the Navy I knew a guy who had a pet grass snake. The snake would enter his nose and slither out of his left ear...sick looking, but again - NOT magic folks. I'm sure P.T.Barnum would have jumped at the chance to hire both of these fellows to stand behind glass in his museum and perform each day for onlookers.

I would easily pay $10 to see that act. Couldn't care less if it was magic or not. It's something you would never, ever forget, and make a great story. That's a bargain.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tony Star performs iSight – Wizard Product Review Special Report (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL