The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do assistants tell secrets they learned (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rogue999
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of rogue999
How often do assistants change magicians they work for and do they ever tell their new employer secrets they learned from the previous one?

Famous magicians have to tell their methods to so many people around them in the course of their life, I wonder how common it is for assistants to break those confidentiality agreements they signed.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The best assistant is a wannabee magician who becomes your assistant as training for when he or she is ready to launch their own career. The agreement should include permission to have first "dibs" to use certain of your effects when they are ready and meet your performing standards. Then they become collegues instead of assistants, sort of the relationship the magicians of old had with their assistants. It stops the desire to share your secrets with others if they know those will be their own secrets some day.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Here's David Copperfield's Secrecy Agreement form for your review, along with other portions of his contracts which may be of interest.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/c......rfield-0

David is good at keeping secrets, especially his newly appearing 16 month old child!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44153379/n......YhTunJCc

:magicrabbit:
rogue999
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of rogue999
But realistically speaking, do these assistants and stagehands talk to people about secrets anyway? How do secrets leak ?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Wikileaks
Simon Southern Moss
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Simon Southern Moss
There is a field of science interested in the transmission of secrets--not just magic secrets but all secrets. Some of the findings are quite interesting. For example, confidentiality statements can either increase or decrease the dissemination of a secret--they can increase the dissemination of secrets because they highlight the secret is valuable. Furthermore, most secrets are not disseminated as widely as people expect.
ThinkThurston
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThinkThurston
I've wondered about this as well. I think it relies strongly on teaming up with the right person. Some will be committed to the magician's code, other will have a drink and start blabbing. Do any experienced magicians have some suggestions on the interview / hiring process?
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
It's all about professionalism in my opinion, I wouldn't want to work with anyone that told me all the secrets of a collegue, sure some I would appreciate, but still, I wouldn't reward it with a job..

Secrecy contracts seem to be the only option these days, Hans klok has a 500.000€ contract with everyone who works on stage and backstage with him, but I keep wondering, how will he ever find out who leaks what?

Trust & Professionalism is what I'd go with..
briancharles1002
View Profile
New user
SC
51 Posts

Profile of briancharles1002
I second the Trust & Professionalism. Good assistants won't be giving secrets if they want to be in the industry for long.
Iris Caraway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Iris Caraway
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 18:31, pradell wrote:
Here's David Copperfield's Secrecy Agreement form for your review, along with other portions of his contracts which may be of interest.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/c......rfield-0

David is good at keeping secrets, especially his newly appearing 16 month old child!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44153379/n......YhTunJCc

:magicrabbit:

That Smoking Gun article is seriously some of the best documentation I've had the pleasure of reading. Thanks for bringing this up.
DavidKMagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of DavidKMagic
Houdini said, "But then, so far as I know, I am the only performer who ever pledged his assistants to secrecy, honor and allegiance under a notarial oath."
And he, if anybody, had every right to.
Mundus Vult Decipi, Ergo Decipiatur
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do assistants tell secrets they learned (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL