We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Road tour expenses question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I've been doing more out of town gigs, where I need overnight accommodations and meals. I have a question regarding tours where you are not performing everyday. Lets say you have one gig on Monday and then one on Thursday. Are the motel and meals deductible for Tuesday and Wednesday? I know that meals are not fully deductible, but its the question of timing.

Thanks
David
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9963 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, any and all expenses directly related to your touring are deductible provided it is tour or business-related. The problem is that you have to"front" the money so to speak to pay for it as needed, then can claim it later at tax time.

If you are to the point of touring you should have an accountant to assist and advise you in this area. Many will tell you to still execute (and document) gig and tour-related duties on your off days such as press interviews, promotion, teaser appearances, publicity stunts, etc. to prove professional use and qualify for these deductions.

When I your every year from March through June, I typically only have about five or six days off during this time, so every day is spent working on or performing n the tour. On the days off I try to schedule two days off consecutively with no work-related business and try to fly home. During these days off I do not claim anything (but my sanity).
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
767 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
One possibility is to google retirement communities in the area where you will be traveling. Then send them a sales letter with a great offer. Detail in the letter you available days and time slots as opportunities for them to book an out of town magician to entertain their residents. The further in advance you can do this the better.....just an idea to try to maximize your profitability while traveling.

As far as this goes, if you have a lecture prepared, you may want to contact the local IBM or SAM clubs for a booking.

--MD
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Yeppers… Mike has it right; “Leverage Everything”!

When we toured (and still when I travel) I do my best to leverage as many opportunities as possible for the down (or in this case, travel) days. (Unless I WANT the vacation days…) Book or advance other events, dates, lectures, speaking, performing, schools, teaching/trainings, seminars… what ever is appropriate to you and your various skill and talent sets… etc.

You can also do quite a bit of leveraging and/or trading your time, talent for treasured exchange like rooms, meals and other road expenses.

I rarely, if ever PAID for accommodations when we toured… more often we GOT PAID to stay at various resort accommodations.

There are a TON of ways you can think of to skin this cat so to speak… use your creative insights. Whoo Hoo!

Gotta jet now…

Hope that serves…

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Loves Leverage) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks for the suggestions. I already do attempt to fill up my days, but I was just wondering about the odd day off.

Thanks again.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Road tour expenses question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL