The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Coins From Vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Here's one of my favorite coin routines done in verse. It's a no-gaff Miser's Dream done in the hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BNQj4Sjsxg

Larry
blackpine0008
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of blackpine0008
Very unnatural moves, sorry but I don't like it.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger
Radmak
View Profile
Loyal user
Aberdeen, UK
272 Posts

Profile of Radmak
VERY unnatural moves. The result is that the routine is not magical at all...
UK Close-up and cabaret magician based in Scotland - www.radekmakar.co.uk
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
I was a little afraid.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Are you stealing back a coin every time you 'squint'... Looks like that hurts?

If it wasn't for that, or the weird hand, arm and body movements, that might be a good trick.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4854 Posts

Hey guys, this trick obviously doesn't appeal to you. The hand and arm movements are motivated by the patter if you follow what is recited. As far as natural movements, it's all a matter of point of view. I find JW grips, Harada holds, and the latest hand washing unnatural and a bit bizarre. Here I try to make magic entertaining with some patter that tells a story. The sound is a key part of the trick. Unlike most Miser's Dreams, in this case the coin you see and hear is the same one that falls into the hand. The sleights to do this are complex and if it appeared awkward I guess that's the price I paid to accomplish an effect like this. What I usually see on the web is a headless magician doing moves silently that can only be done in front of a camera at a certain angle. This routine I have done surrounded. Each to is own I suppose. I would be happy to discuss the mechanics of this routine by PM for anyone interested.

Larry
Radmak
View Profile
Loyal user
Aberdeen, UK
272 Posts

Profile of Radmak
Hi Larry,

I believe whether the whole concept appeals to us or not is not the case. No matter what the justification of the movements, the movements should be as natural as possible. I understand that the never are 100% natural because from the backstage view you are doing something tricky. From the spectators point of view however, they should be as close to the original, unaltered movements as possible!

Let's have a look at the action of taking the coin from one hand to the other. Watch your routine from 0:11-0:13. Is it how you would transfer the coin from left to right hand if there was nothing else going on? I don't think so...

0:44 - ?
0:51 - ?
1:03 - ?
1:15 - ?

I am also thinking how is it not suspicious that you are able to produce so many coins and fit them all to a closed fist... Just something that came to my mind... Smile

I like the drama and the patter Smile It looks like you really believe in what you are doing with those coins...
UK Close-up and cabaret magician based in Scotland - www.radekmakar.co.uk
blackpine0008
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of blackpine0008
I don't like the patter. That recited script is so unnatural. When I see a movie I really believe that the actors are talking because the script is natural and well constructed.
You have as well that terrible tell that almost all magician have when doing a false movement, they blink or do something weird.
I don't want to offend you personally Mr. ,but this routine in my mind isn't good at all.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 10:12, blackpine0008 wrote:
I don't like the patter. That recited script is so unnatural. When I see a movie I really believe that the actors are talking because the script is natural and well constructed.
You have as well that terrible tell that almost all magician have when doing a false movement, they blink or do something weird.
I don't want to offend you personally Mr. ,but this routine in my mind isn't good at all.

Actually, if you close your eyes, you won't see any unnatural movements. I've used this technique to develop a 100% invisible pass.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4854 Posts

I've taken the video off You Tube.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1637 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Larry,

Is this a finished piece? I assume so, since you've published the handling. I'm pretty sure I read through this in "21st Century Coin Mechanics".

If it is, you've got something your comfortable performing and it's done. If not, can you assimilate any of the feedback and use it as a vehicle to improve? I know I'm not very good at taking criticism and the bombs you've gotten are quite harsh.

How do you think the routine, or your performance could be improved?

Kent

PS. I still owe you a review of KOTR. I haven't forgotten. I simply haven't worked through every single trick yet.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4854 Posts

Hi Kent,

This was an old video (about seven years ago) I had of the routine. I have performed this hundreds of times and gotten very good reactions mostly for lay audiences but also for magicians including an SAM lecture I gave. I think I will re-shoot it and post a newer version in the future. This one was done with very bright lights (which was a mistake) so I was blinking more than I normally do.

As far as the script, I won't change a word. I think it tells a story and provides motivation for almost every move. Critics have their opinions and I respect their opinions. I don't attack people who criticize me. But creators also have opinions and their vision of an effect may not always be what another magician thinks is virtuous. The same happens in art and literature.

My original idea was a Miser's Dream done in the hands. I could have done this with false transfers or retention vanishes and continually place the coins in a pocket. That would have likely looked "more natural" but not my vision. It would be a different effect. I wanted the audience to see and hear the coins actually fall into the left hand. I also wanted the moves to be angle proof. I have never seen anyone do this gaff free with those conditions. To do this, a compromise had to be made and I am responsible for those choices. During the routine, 16 coins are produced, and heard falling into the hand and bunches of these are also heard dropping into the left pocket several times. It's all an illusion of course since only three silver dollars are used and these are recirculated using the Pivoting Changeover Palm and the Flying Changeover Palm. If someone can show me how to achieve the visual and audible effects stated above using different more "natural" moves or sleights, I sincerely would welcome those suggestions.

Larry
magic.mind
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of magic.mind
Larry, check Reed McClintock work with coins.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1637 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Larry,

I think you should post the video you have up that previews the work in your new book. I'm deadly serious here. The rhyming patter and tricks look, to me, far more innovative and magical than most stuff I see.

Please post a link to the Sample Videos from Book of Destiny. I really liked the balls in the hat routine and the sponge ball stuff is really deceptive. Don't take the response to one routine on here as anything but some folks expressing their opinions.

The routines you've got up on youtube are original and well-rehearsed. Showcase whatcha got Doc!

Kent

PS. If Larry's willing to share don't miss the costume he wears for the linking ring segment!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Coins From Vegas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL