The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Routining with Keys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carla
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of carla
Browsing the Penguin shop and thinking about magic with ordinary objects, I started to wonder about routining Jay Sankey's Leaving Home and Killer Key. Has anyone worked with this idea? I don't own either trick, so I don't know whether the Killer Key gimmick is compatible with the idea.

It would be nice to melt the Leaving Home key off its cord, then perform Killer Key, and then melt the Leaving Home key back on to its cord. Then take your bows. The idea is that to the spectator, this all happens with the same key.

Any thoughts as to whether this is possible? Can anyone recommend any good references for more key magic?
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
My favourite key effect is found on Greg Wilson's On the Spot called Florida Keys. It's a great effect where the keys link and unlink off of your key ring. Like all the stuff on the video, it's totally impromptu.

Trevor
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
Ben Harris sold a product called, if memory serves, "Gellerism Outdone," in which a key slowly and visibly bends in full view of the spectators. With a little work and an additional gimmick, the key head can be signed.

I'm a little sad that this product appears to have disappeared from the market. I called him (US to AU) to ask a few questions, describing my performing venues to see if it could be performed under such conditions cleanly. He was very kind and helpful, and I became more of a fan than I had already been.

Even though this product is no longer available, I am now on the verge of ordering "Slink," a linking ring routine using a "Russian wedding ring," one of those three interlocking band rings.

If anyone is interested in the Gellerism trick, one might try reaching him through his website, at http://www.wowbound.com , to see if he still has one left.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I like both the Sankey routine and Greg Wilson's. They both have wonderfully magical (visual) ways of getting the key on/off the necklace/keychain, and are definitely worth your consideration.

-- Frank
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Also by Sankey is key deposit. The HOLE from a tag appears on a key so that key has TWO holes!
carla
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of carla
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I will definitely check out Greg Wilson's material. I have his "Off the Cuff" video and it's dynamite - I've been thinking about picking up "On the Spot."

I'm having pie-in-the-sky fantasies about putting together a whole routine of key effects; it will take a lot research and practice (as well as machine work making required gaffs out of matching blanks ...) but I'm kind of excited about it.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-08-29 10:53, Ignore me... wrote:
Ben Harris sold a product called, if memory serves, "Gellerism Outdone," in which a key slowly and visibly bends in full view of the spectators. With a little work and an additional gimmick, the key head can be signed.

I'm a little sad that this product appears to have disappeared from the market. I called him (US to AU) to ask a few questions, describing my performing venues to see if it could be performed under such conditions cleanly. He was very kind and helpful, and I became more of a fan than I had already been.

Even though this product is no longer available, I am now on the verge of ordering "Slink," a linking ring routine using a "Russian wedding ring," one of those three interlocking band rings.

If anyone is interested in the Gellerism trick, one might try reaching him through his website, at http://www.wowbound.com , to see if he still has one left.

I too would HIGHLY suggest getting this or Gellerism Revealed.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Check out Compact Key too. It's a real neat effect!!
Zaubern Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Have both of Sankeys keys. Practiced long and hard at leaving home. Only one caught onto the killer key effect.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
IMO, Leaving Home is way better than Killer Key.
I do Bar and Restaurant Gigs and I think Leaving Home is better for those.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-08-31 23:38, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Also by Sankey is key deposit. The HOLE from a tag appears on a key so that key has TWO holes!

I know I should quote myself but I REALLY like this version! Check it out!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Think you are right. Leaving home does take practice and I don't see how Jay does it so well in the DVD. Its like he actually places the rope on the key. My killer key was figured out already but only once.

I really want the key melt but would like to hear more aboout it especially for $50.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Routining with Keys (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL