We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Leaving Business Cards at DayCares (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Anyone have any good tips, on how never to get rejected by some daycare owners(or minimize rejections cause they will happen at some places) when you ask to leave your cards at the front.

I've done it in the past - just wondering if anyone has good tips on going about it.

I usually just go in and ask the someone at front or the owner, sometimes I will say you guys will get a discount.

MagicJac
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Offer to perform small show for the joint kid, then waive the fee as a gesture of goodwill and intent. How could they possibly deny you leaving your contact cards then right?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2750 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Take em a dozen donuts, I here they love em. Smile

Leaving cards on the front desk usually gets destroyed by the kids going past the desk. What's left goes in the trash. Nothing worse than a junkie looking front desk.

Best to ask the director or teachers if they would send the cards or flyers home to the parents by placing them in the child's storage bin. Most have papers they take home each day. Turning a flyer into a coloring sheet would also work.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-08-25 10:41, TomBoleware wrote:
Take em a dozen donuts, I here they love em. Smile

Tom

Tom;

It’s a daycare, not a police station
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2750 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
LOL Howie

Actually it's more like a prison, but smokes are not allowed.
Other than that anything you take will be appreciated.

:)

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I confess that I have never attempted to leave information to be passed to customers at day care centers, but I believe it would be a complete waste of time because many (if not all) would refuse to do so. Even the few that did would not get you any further than you going to parks or other public places where you could hand them out personally. Doing a free show in exchange for passing out flyers does not seem cost effective. Perhaps if you accept a slightly lower than usual fee during a slow time of the year and mention that you send each child home with a card that shares the special event they attended to their parents.

I hope to find that I am wrong and that others have found the OP's concept to be fruitful, but I would be shocked.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I agree, most Day Care places do not have a budget for outside of normal care for the kids. If you want to get your information to the parents for the children. Here is something that might work. This is just an idea, but try it out.

Get the Ed Harris Promotional flyer CD. Then print out the coloring picture that is included in that CD. There is a place for contact information on the coloring flyer. Now offer a short magic presentation and then have a coloring contest for the kids. You can find inexpensive magic sets or find something for small kids as a prize for the best colored flyer. Involve the day care personal as well in the decision of the winner. It would be good to have prizes for runner up, and you could make everybody a winner by offering a small magic trick, age appropriate with contact information on the item or bag it is in.

If you think that is to much work for getting leads, then take the coloring flyers in to the day cares and see if they will use them as a class project. I would still supply prizes as these can be further promotion and with the day care contacting you for the prizes, you know they have used your coloring material.

http://www.dazzlingmagic.com/products/Ma......ris.html
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It will not hurt to ask the day care. But if I was a day care director I would say "no" because I would not know that person. I would not feel comfortable letting a stranger leave any handouts. If the stranger was found to be a child molester, the day care would lose business by parents going to a more secure day care center. But if I saw the performer perform well, I would allow permission.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 00:23, Dynamike wrote:
It will not hurt to ask the day care. But if I was a day care director I would say "no" because I would not know that person. I would not feel comfortable letting a stranger leave any handouts. If the stranger was found to be a child molester, the day care would lose business by parents going to a more secure day care center. But if I saw the performer perform well, I would allow permission.

I think you could say that about every birthday party magician in the market. Guess everyone should just say away from kids. And while we are at it, all magicians could be murders, so better not hire a magician. This all can go for musicians as well. Lets just set in front of our computers and watch YouTube. It is safer, oh wait, they have naked people on YouTube. Better to just look ourselves in our homes and not come out. Someone could rob, kill, rape, us. Oh my goodness, the world is dangerous. Can't trust anyone, they can turn in an instant to crazy people. Call he Cops!!

To be serious, yes there have been several magicians that were caught doing illegal acts. They have been punished by the law. That does not mean every magician should be considered untrustworthy.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 02:37, wmhegbli wrote:

I think you could say that about every birthday party magician in the market. Guess everyone should just say away from kids. And while we are at it, all magicians could be murders, so better not hire a magician.

I disagree with you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 05:14, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 02:37, wmhegbli wrote:

I think you could say that about every birthday party magician in the market. Guess everyone should just say away from kids. And while we are at it, all magicians could be murders, so better not hire a magician.

I disagree with you.

You mean all Magicians are child molesters and murders? As my post was my interpretation of your statement, you are saying in your post that day care workers should not trust magicians that come to offer their services as they may be molesters. That is how I read you posts. You really feel that way.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Feel free to believe however you want to wmhegbli.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2750 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
We hand stuff out all the time for other businesses at my daycare, IF we think
it's something that the parent/child will be interested in.

You simply have to ask and you have to ask in a nice way. But more important than anything,
you have to have something worth giving away. I love giving out stuff that has real value.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Tom,

You summarize it ! - I ve done it in the past and has worked as well - I was just trying to get others on how they pitched it! and how they went about it.

MagicJac
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"I agree, most Day Care places do not have a budget for outside of normal care for the kids."

Not sure where this information/statement comes from, there are magicians and performers throughout the U.S. and Canada that perform for this market, and it is a sizable market for them.

As far as leaving cards, if you are just walking in and asking to leave cards I can understand the hesitancy for them not to do it, however, if it is a group that you are actually performing for, and working with, there should not be an issue (there has never been for me). In addition the colour pages (as mentioned) are a good "take home" for the children. If some daycares in the U.S. are state owned (I do not know about this) there could be an issue with distributing "unauthorised" publicity material through them.

As a suggestion (if the above daycares were not customers) why not consider the smaller privately owned children's wear stores/boutiques, the ones that will sell party dresses, shirts and ties for the little guys etc., I am sure the owners might be interested in displaying your card, or card rack, for a certain return. There are many other services that may be willing to partner with you, the cost being maybe to include a link on your website ie. a dance school, gymnastics school etc. non-conflicting activities.

Blair
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 11:12, TomBoleware wrote:
We hand stuff out all the time for other businesses at my daycare, IF we think
it's something that the parent/child will be interested in.

I don't know anything about it but when a daycare owner talks about day care owners, I'm going to listen.

Tom, thank you for filling us in.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Let me start by saying daycares have been a big part of my biz for many years. just got back from one this morning!

first your going about this the wrong way- don't try to leave your biz cards at day cares - try to get BOOKED there!

ifyou booked at day care then leaving cards or color sheets is not a big deal. matter of fact all the day cares ask if I have new cards or color sheets to send home with the kids. I don't have to ask to leave anything as they want it already.

but your focus should be on getting booked at the day care not just leaving info.

think about it- what better advertisment is there then little johny or sarah going home telling mom and dad all about the hilarious magician they had at school today!

here are 2 things you need to know about booking daycares
one- they all have summer programs with funds to bring in outside entertainment- be it clowns, magic, jugglers, etc.
two- during the school year its a bit harder but if have an educational show that is geared to that age group this will give you a huge advantage over others.

hope that helps

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2750 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 12:43, Blair Marshall wrote:
"I agree, most Day Care places do not have a budget for outside of normal care for the kids."

Not sure where this information/statement comes from, there are magicians and performers throughout the U.S. and Canada that perform for this market, and it is a sizable market for them.

Blair

Well said Blair.

I too don't really understand, "daycares don't have money in the budget for a magic show."

Studies have shown that in some states, childcare costs more than college. It is a huge market.

Who has a budget for a magic show? Absolutely nobody, that I know puts a magic show into their budget. Even Donald Trump's office would probably say, 'it's not in our budget this year." Smile

That is an out, it's a nice way of telling you, "you haven't convinced me."

MagicJac, to add to what Sam said, and he is right about booking the daycare first.

A discount coupon would be passed on much quicker than a business card. We pass out discount coupons for local restaurants all the time. Free kids meal etc. Maybe do up a discount coupon for a party show that looks like real money. $20.00 off a birthday show etc.

Another thing you could do is have a drawing for a free birthday show. Provide a box for all the parents to register in. You could even combine the boxes from the smaller centers. This lets everyone know you do parties. And it really is important that you let the centers know you do birthday parties, talk spreads fast there, and parents invite other kids from the daycare to the parties.

Curt, Thanks

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Aw come on guys. Everybody knows daycares don't hire entertainers.

And Tom Boleware didn't write THE book on entertaining at daycares.

And Sammy Smith, Dave Risley, Terry Herbert, Mark Strivings and David Ginn never made a dime performing for daycares.

So don't let anyone fool you...

Smile There's no such thing as entertaining at daycares. Smile
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
When I was younger, I performed at a few daycare facilities. "Gymboree" in El Paso was one of them.

The daycare shows filled in the gaps between school performances. The school shows gave my program a certain air of credence to the daycare facilities and vice versa or visca versca as bugs bunny always says.

It was a seasonal thing only during summer or spring break for the most part.

Cheers, r2
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Leaving Business Cards at DayCares (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL