The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Season of the Witch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Dan, these are very nice pieces, but in style and content they seem to be exact replicas of Chris Gould's work. The method of production might be different but the effect is precisely the same. When I first saw the ad I thought perhaps you and Chris had teamed up. Apparently this is not the case
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 17:25, LebanonCircle wrote:
I tried to make the sound of the witch burning as disturbing as possible, after all it was disturbing times!

Yep, especially when most of the witches were hung... Smile Especially in England.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
And then burnt and ashes scattered. Come on Curator it isn't easy burning witches in a country with so much rain.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heck you hang the witch and if she didn't die you knew she was a witch - then you burned her - and if she survived that you really knew she was a witch - so she was shopped into bits - now is she reassembled you knew for sure by heaven she was a real real witch so then you threw her in acid.... Etc
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
GeoffreyD
View Profile
Loyal user
Canberra, Australia
244 Posts

Profile of GeoffreyD
Dan, I'm guessing that the 13th trick (and there must be a "13" in there somewhere) will be the box containing all 12 tricks?
Cheers
Geoffrey
www.dark-myst.com.au
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 10:54, LebanonCircle wrote:
Hi Todd, no, these are made in an entirely different way. Chris Gould is the pyrography guru and I could never equal his pyro skills (hence the method I use!)

Thanks Dan...I have one of Chris's boxes and still marvel at how he does it...

Cheers

Dr T
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 11:31, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Dan, these are very nice pieces, but in style and content they seem to be exact replicas of Chris Gould's work. The method of production might be different but the effect is precisely the same. When I first saw the ad I thought perhaps you and Chris had teamed up. Apparently this is not the case

They are not exact replicas of Chris' work since they are 16-17th century woodcut designs from the public domain - Chris and I are also not the first people in the world to have these types of designs carved into a box lid.

There is a feature on Chris' work on the Schuldig page (bottom right) where it is should be noted -

"Please note that the boxes supplied with ‘Schuldig’ and other effects in the ‘Season of the Witch’ range are created by Dan Baines here at Lebanon Magic using different methods as those employed by Chris. I do not provide a custom design service and it is by kind agreement that Chris and I produce boxes of a similar type"

Chris and I had long dicussions about this prior to the release and although we do not work together at present we work side by side as UK based artists with an admiration and respect for each others work.

So there, Café witch hunt averted (excuse the pun)......
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 16:16, The Curator wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 17:25, LebanonCircle wrote:
I tried to make the sound of the witch burning as disturbing as possible, after all it was disturbing times!

Yep, especially when most of the witches were hung... Smile Especially in England.

But the sound of someone hanging doesn't make a dramatic trailer, in fact hanging is pretty uneventful period (unless the drop is calculated incorrectly and the head comes off)....
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Let me say a few works here.
When I first saw the images for Dan's boxes, I understandable got hopping mad. But Dan was very quick to contact me, and we talked it over.
Basically, we are in a very small pond here fishing for very similar looking fish. This kind of thing is bound to happen. There are two options. One withdraw, and as dealers we have all had to do that at times. Or, the second option is to make contact and discuss the matter. This is what Dan did. It was clear from my conversation with Dan that he just has too much invested and was too far down the line to withdraw. In this situation it is difficult to pull the plug, and I do understand that. It also works both ways. The Cuss Card box and the cards themselves were always intended to be part of a set of witch based effects. So, when we start putting this stuff out, there is nothing to stop Dan from crying foul. In this case it is ALB that is too far down the line to withdraw.
Also, as Dan points out, there is a lot of mutual respect, and it is clear from our conversation that we have no intention of doing anything other than working in harmony. The upshot is this. There are a lot of great thinkers, designers and crafts people out there, all of us producing goodies that enhance what you do. Sometimes we get too close to each other's work. But from the consumers point of view - great, just more lovely stuff to choose from. Dan, Rick, Paul, Evie, Todd, Bruce, myself and many more (sorry if I left you out, not a role call!) are all producing exciting and well crafted items that *compliment* each other.
Dan's witch effects will sit very nicely next to the stuff we are putting out and can all go in a great big carved chest.... (ahem) available from Alchemy Moon! ;-)
The only witch hunt we all want, is people hunting out our witchy wares.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Bravo!

Perfectly put Chris!
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
See, I love it when great minds get on the same page to better benefit the community. Both men are a class act. Thanks guys!
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
I love this effect, but I have heard that it can hurt or possibly injure the spec if done wrong. Any one tried this before who may enlighten me? I will still get it, if just to get one of those sweet boxes though.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
The worst that can happen is that you'd sharply pull the leather loop tightly around the spec's finger - a little painful I'd imagine but not exactly fatal.

As long as the loop is wound correctly (which is easy) and the spec's fingers are relaxed it wouldn't happen.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Thanx JonWhite. Good to know. I will be getting this for sure!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
I've got to have them all. Great work Dan.
marc hoff
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of marc hoff
Hi,

thank you Dan for doing this great job! I knew, it would be best to give this effect into your hands.

And thank you to the community for your good reactions on this effect.

To give a short answer to necroloid's question:

Yes, the effect is strong and of course plays with the fear of getting injured. Done correctly nothing unexpected will happen. I do this effect for 5 years almost daily and there have never been any problems. When I use the little finger of the spectator, I slightly touch it and let confirm him/her that the finger was never broken before, so he/she had never the privilege of meeting the holy inquisition before ;-) That eliminates the slight risk that someone has a health problem with this finger. If done correctly, the routine will not force the finger into unnatural movings, so you will not hurt or injure someone.

But - this effect has to be done quite carefully and with your full concentration. Done the wrong way it could hurt or injure your spectator! The fact that doing it correctly is extremely easy should not make your handling thoughtless. This should not frighten away anybody, it is only the "Do not put live animals here"-sticker on your microwave oven...

Best regards,

Marc
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
This is a cool dark version.
I remember liking this when Jamie described it on Magic Friday...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Schuldig turned up today. Very nice set. The workings of the effect I'm sure are well known. I think I learnt it back when I was a kid in a beginners book of magic, but it's still a very nice prop. Nicely written instructions. I went with the Satan's circle design for the box and I'm very pleased. Nice little set.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Beautiful boxes.......
Reminds me of an Apache Warrior Tester I remember the Medicine Man applying to young braves......
GeoffreyD
View Profile
Loyal user
Canberra, Australia
244 Posts

Profile of GeoffreyD
Hi Dan, another notion has occurred to me.
Are you planning on releasing other box-lid designs?
The reason being that 3 of the 4 depict the Devil and I don’t know whether the punters will believe that witch-finders would actually keep their tools in boxes depicting “the opposition”.

Historically, did the witch-finders do this, or did they destroy any depiction of the Devil that they found?

Btw the 4th one looks like Herne, or a demon huntsman, and I really like it!
Cheers
Geoffrey
www.dark-myst.com.au
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Season of the Witch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL