The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A character driven magic act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5xfK0ovrk

What I love about this is the almost 100% believability of this magicians 'character'. It's just simply superb acting, costuming and well, what more can I say? ;-) ;-) ;-) If this guy starts visiting Radio Shack I think Pop's in a LOT of trouble....... (more little smiley fact things and gales of jocular and good hearted laughter)

All best,
Brad Burt
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The guy was a revelation. A strong character, funny, polished, and a very, very solid piece of magic. He's also gone viral in terms of having this video passed around by people outside the community. There was a rumour on twitter that he got his own show as a result of this performance.

It kills me that there are some magicians out there who still consider Penn and Teller's "Fool Us" to be bad for magic.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Somebody sent me the clip I shared above. I watched it without having any idea what was coming. First, thing I thought after it was done and he had "failed" was: This guy is going to make a LOT of money doing magic and it's going to happen like overnight. Happy to hear he succeeded. I was rolling.

Best,
Brad Burt
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
He is very clever, and an excellent, original, and genuine "character." I love it.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Milk shot out of my nose!

(I'm not entirely sure how this happened. I wasn't drinking milk at the time that I watched the video...)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
After I saw the clip above I turned around to find an entire story in Magic Magazine on the guy! Great story.
Brad Burt
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks. It is interesting.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
As the story above alludes to: Here is an excellent example of a guy who started out as a close-up magician...got his degree, was working and then stopped the magic to go and get a degree/training in ACTING....which was made available to him according to the story because he already had his other degree. So he spends a full year doing nothing by training in acting! Takes that skill set and combines it with magic and Poof we have Piff. I was dying to write that ...

Best,
Brad Burt
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I love the Piff character. I see problems for him in taking what is basically a one-note character into a longer show.

I think the dragon suit might get a little confining in a full-hour show. I suspect he will have to make Piff just one character among others he plays if he wants to expand.

Did he talk about that in the article? Has he done longer shows? I'd be very interested in hearing how it plays in a longer performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A character driven magic act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL