The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Most expensive set of cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
This is the most expensive set of cups I come across, starting bid is 9000 pds.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9726031

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The provenance of these cups is impressive. If I recall correctly, these cups were featured in one of the Bob Read inserts in the Michael Ammar C&B video set (the one in which he explains the evolution of cup design). Would be the crown jewel in your burgeoning collection, Francis!
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi Fortasse,

This is way out of my affordability range!
Francis
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So you get two partners and each gets one cup... Or you rotated the set monthly. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
This is just one item in a arge and EXTREMELY important magic auction that is to take place in London on the 8th September. It looks as if the estate of Bob Read is selling off a substantial part of his massive C&B print collection. I just checked out the catalogue on the auction website. Incidentally, buyers will have to pay a whopping 22% premium on top of the hammer price....definitely not for the faint of heart!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I hope the Read Collection of prints has been or is about to be published.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Good question, Pete. After this auction and the likely dispersion of so many prints among so many different people, it will be difficult to put together a compendium of prints for publication if it hasn't been prepped already. I'm sure the estate must still have a great many prints left (unless they were sold off privately already) but the particular prints (and some C&B themed oil paintings) that have been selected for auction on the 8th September represent the best of the best of the Read collection. Indeed, I was struck by how many of these prints and paintings are the same ones that were personally selected by Bob Read for inclusion in the Miracle Factory's 2001 reprint of Clarke's Annals of Conjuring.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Fortasse, can you post a link to the auction catalog?

It will be truly sad if Bob's collection is dispersed without a publication on his collection in the works.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Although the provenance of these cups is impressive, much of it is based on supposition. There are unmentioned links in the provenance.

According to one Hofzinser expert, these cups do not match the sketches Hofzinser made in the margin of his notes. Having seen a photocopy of these notes, I can attest to his assertion.

One of the key phrases here is "The cups were apparently comissioned by Hofzinser and made from a special alloy in the 1860's."

The special alloy is nickel silver. It was commonly used for cane and umbrella handles. The cups are probably not plated, as claimed in the listing. According to Fischer, he got them from Georg Heubeck who was a student of Hofzinser. But the connection is quite tenuous. The style of manufacture is not contemporaneous with the 1860's, but probably closer to the 1880's, which was after the death of Hofzinser.

However, Bob thought they belonged to Hofzinser. In any case, they probably belonged to Fischer for a while, probably belonged to Keith Clark for a while, and definitely belonged to Bob Read.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
AS far as I know all of Read's images have been digitized and are in the hands of the publisher.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I e-mailed the publisher to let him know that I would not be at Eurocol 4. He says the images are all digitized.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Any additional news on the publication?
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
So Francis, are you bidding? Wow, it amazes me how the history behind an item raises (or potentially lowers) the price.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks for the heads-up, Bill....sobering indeed. Pretty much kills my interest in them.

Sean
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 23:19, Hassidic Top Hat wrote:
So Francis, are you bidding? Wow, it amazes me how the history behind an item raises (or potentially lowers) the price.

Most certainly not!

Hi Bill and Pete,

What does it mean when we say it's digitalized? Does it mean that they are going to print the images and sell them individually or compile into the book we are waiting for? Thanks

Francis
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bill can give you details, but my info says a book.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Book, please!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nowadays when a book goes to press, it's different than it was about 25 or 30 years ago. In the old days, it was all done with letterpress. This produced really clean images, but was terribly expensive. These days, almost every book you find is created digitally, submitted as a PDF file, which is read by Quark, Adobe Pagemaker or CS-5 or whatever the press uses. So the photos are ready to be inserted into the text pages.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bill: Any idea of the status of the Read book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Most expensive set of cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL