The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Labor Day! Not such a great holiday for everyone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29......879.html

So what are Republicans, non-union workers and the unemployed supposed to do this Monday???
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Well, it's sundown on the union
And what's made in the USA
Sure was a good idea
'Til greed got in the way.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Get a job.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I for one have chosen to work that day at double time and a half. This will put my hourly wage almost up to the non holiday level of said union workers who are banning the republicans from being in the parade.
On this labor day, those of you who are getting an extra day off and are going to places were people are working to serve you, please be kind.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And in other shocking news, The Three Little Pigs decided not to invite The Big Bad Wolf to dinner.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Guilt By Association: It's OK When It's Not One of Us. Catchy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Tough call. On the one hand, I agree with Lobo that it's never right to lump everyone in an entire group together as "the enemy." On the other hand, I kind of think the sponsors shouldn't be forced to include someone they don't want to.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 21:11, critter wrote:
On the other hand, I kind of think the sponsors shouldn't be forced to include someone they don't want to.

Oh, I agree. That's not necessarily the other hand.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I should amend my "never" statement when it comes to groups as "the enemy." After all, I can think of a few groups I wouldn't want any members of at my bar-b-q. It's MOSTLY wrong to lump everyone in a group, etc., etc.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm one of them. I'm a contract worker and am a few hundred hours short of being able to receive holiday pay. So I'll be at work.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 21:04, LobowolfXXX wrote:

From the article: "Council President Randy Radtke said in a statement on the group's website that politicians are only welcome at the festivities if they have demonstrated support for workers' rights."

So clearly, the issue was not guilt by association, but guilt. And last I looked, it was called Labor Day, not Anti-Labor Day.

Perhaps, folks can look up the origins of Labor Day--and why in the US, unlike the rest of the world, it's held in September.

Looking forward to the roast pork the National Butchers Association serves at the next Vegan Society dinner.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 23:18, landmark wrote:
Quote:

So clearly, the issue was not guilt by association, but guilt. And last I looked, it was called Labor Day, not Anti-Labor Day.

Perhaps, folks can look up the origins of Labor Day--and why in the US, unlike the rest of the world, it's held in September.

Well, Canada does the same. And Labour Day is celebrated in October in New Zealand and parts of Australia. And so on.

Historically, Labour (or Labor) Day in the U.S. and Canada actually predates the creation of the International Workers' Day (i.e. May 1 holiday).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-30 23:18, landmark wrote:
Quote:

From the article: "Council President Randy Radtke said in a statement on the group's website that politicians are only welcome at the festivities if they have demonstrated support for workers' rights."

The group that was specifically not invited was "the Republicans." Amusingly, almost the next statement says, "It is not a political event."

Of course, you certainly might take the position that all Democrats demonstrate support for workers' rights and all Republicans oppose it, so it's a perfect correspondence.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The group that was specifically not invited was "Republican politicians," not "Republicans." The positions of the politicians are a matter of public record. I don't think they are checking other people's parties at the entrance of the parade.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-31 07:25, landmark wrote:
The group that was specifically not invited was "Republican politicians," not "Republicans."

I was just quoting the guy's statement.

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
No big deal. These guys just keep making things worse for themselves. One of these days when Congress does away with Labor Day alltogether it will be because of things like this.

The Mayor of Wausau has told the organizers of the parade that they can pick up the tab for insurance, setting up the stages, police etc. I'm sure they will, it's a pretty small parade. I think the said the whole cost would be a couple of thousand bucks.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I think we should have a retirement party for the big unions, say thanks and move on.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Unbelievable, but believable.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It wasn't (isn't) my intention to knock organized labor as an institution. Or to suggest that a lot of important things haven't come out of the labor movement. At just about all these sorts of holiday events, though, groups put aside their political differences and invite their local representatives. As a journalist, I've covered many groups and special events; some of those groups were very anti-Democrat, and some of which were very anti-Republican. I don't think I've never been involved with one where the idea of not inviting one's political opponents to a community event was seriously considered. Even with vehement opposition to their views on organized labor, some of those uninvited officials no doubt better represent some of the union workers' views better than their Democratic counterparts on a variety of other issues, be it abortion, gun ownership, or any of a number of other issues. I think it's a classless decision. And I do think that the statement that it's not a political statement is laughable.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2274627&spid=

WAUSAU, Wis. (WLS) - The Marathon County Labor Council has reversed a decision that excluded Republican politicians from participating in the Labor Day parade in Wausau.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Labor Day! Not such a great holiday for everyone (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL