The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How far do you injog? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Up to the individual, Lance. You'll know it when you're doing it without thinking about it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
I agree...without thinking about it, casual and if you can do both of these then the gap is going to be so small as to be not noticed. Try to make it too small and you might end up adding something to the moment that causes your spectators to take notice.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Wouldn't you have to think about it to know you're doing it without thinking about it? Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am guessing that the Tosca under the bridge dweller is long gone, but I wanted to comment on the beauty of actually dropping cards during the shuffle! I wouldn't argue of course that we should or even CAN do that everytime, but, let's face it, most speccys simply cannot shuffle anyhow, but the dropping of a card or two during the shuffle (Simon Lovell calls such cards deserters Smile) is IMHO quite disarming.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't THINK about dropping cards and really I don't get the point of how much is too much of an injog. IF you ARE thinking about it however and that injog is too small and you are performing, you are in serious trouble if you miss. Why take chances? Just shuffle! It's a casual action on your part.

This feels like the never ending debate of whether the brief on a second should be tiny.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I've been wondering if I could find a way to "accidentally" drop a card during a shuffle, have it land face-down on the table, and eventually turn out to be the selected card. Or have an indifferent card fall out face-up, say "If that's your card, then I did that on purpose," get a laugh, and put it aside face-down...*then* have it turn out to be the selected card. "Are you sure this isn't yours?" Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I guess this thread has been resurrected. I appreciate all the responses. I think some got the [wrong] idea that I am having difficulty with how far to injog. I was just curious how everyone else did it. I think I'm in line with what everyone else is doing. I typically just do it without looking, so my spectators rarely look at it either. Thanks for the insight everyone.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 00:22, FrenchDrop wrote:
I've been wondering if I could find a way to "accidentally" drop a card during a shuffle, have it land face-down on the table, and eventually turn out to be the selected card. Or have an indifferent card fall out face-up, say "If that's your card, then I did that on purpose," get a laugh, and put it aside face-down...*then* have it turn out to be the selected card. "Are you sure this isn't yours?" Smile

You can do that EASILY Smile

PM me for an idea Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
Quote:
On 2011-09-08 09:16, Count Hatrick wrote:
Isn't the real question, have you ever been caught by a spectator saying "I saw you move one card inside all the others so you could false shuffle"? If you don't get caught, it doesn't matter how far you in-jog, as long as how far you do gives you the confidence to shuffle without worrying about it.
The other guiding principle here is the spectator should not notice anything different from a jog shuffle to a normal shuffle. Your timing must be the same, so if you hesitate because your trying to make sure you pickup the jog - then it's too small. Similarly, if you hesitate because it's so big your hands jump about, then the jog is too big.
So, practice until you can jog shuffle 10 times smoothly without looking at the cards, and not mess up. That should allow your hands to find the distance that works best for you. After that, never think about it again & neither will your spectators.

When I first starting learning card magic I learned this control. I got caught the first time that I did it, and I haven't done it since (this was a long time ago, and I probably did it very poorly). I like to think that I've come a long way since then, and I still practice this shuffle, but that incident scarred me a bit. I've been too nervous to try it again. I can do the shuffle without looking at my hands, but the thought that is constantly on my mind is that if the spectator is looking at the deck, they are going to see a 'tell' when I run the single card. I can't guarantee that the spectator is not going to be looking at the deck, even if I try to engage them in converstation, and this is what makes me nervous.

I've since read other ways of doing the shuffle (e.g. running several cards before the i***g and then showing that the card is not at the top); however, to me, this would seem to needlessly prolong the shuffling sequence.

My main question at this point is whether you should try to turn your body to hide the moment you do the i***g or whether I'm just being paranoid and I should just do it as long as I'm not looking at the deck and I'm able to do it without having to think about it.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
Micromega123, in my opinion the best way to "hide" that moment you are worrying about is to use EYE CONTACT. Look at the spectator and say something like "now don't forget your card", or maybe "and that was a free selection you just made?". In that brief moment that you make eye contact, begin the shuffle, running off the first card etc. Now by the time you both look back towards the deck you are already halfway through the shuffle.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet but I use the overhand shuffle finesse by Larry Jennings found in Jennings '67.
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
If you have to look, you've lost the cadence and the effect.
I personally go for the Ackerman pinky
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Couple angstroms, never more
James Kellogg III
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
117 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
Just injog the card don't worry about how far it sticks out no one cares Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-04-10 16:16, James Kellogg III wrote:
Just injog the card don't worry about how far it sticks out no one cares Smile

I disagree.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
I keep an injog that's deep enough, but not too deep.

Hope this helps!
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
How far do I I jog?

Errrrr........2.679mm recurring.

Works every time.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Exactly half an inch. All kidding aside, I'm in that general distance but don't think about it. Contrary to his answer in this thread Harry Lorayne, in Close-Up Card Magic, says about a half an inch.
Philip Busk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How far do you injog? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL