The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Timer for escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
I need a "seconds" clock timer for the 100 ft. Rope Escape. I have had a hard time finding a 1 rpm clock motor to make one. Any suggestions?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I used to use my darkroom timer for that. I don't know when they became so expensive, because I got mine for about $20.00, but that was years ago when a loaf of bread cost about a quarter.

Keep in mind that probably no one will check your escape timer to see if it is accurate.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Use a clock with a second hand. Take off the minutes and hours.

Or look at the auction site. Right now, on just the first page, darkroom timers start at $.88
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I had great success using a laptop computer. I just made a power point of each time going down (you could go up just as easily) and had an assistant push the key to start the power point. I had the added and unexpected benefit of the kids in the audience counting down with it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Great idea Cliff. Also of course it could be projected to any size. If you used a black background with white numbers, it could even be projected onto you, or above you, during the escape.
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
I never thought of a darkroom timer. Great idea. And the projected laptop would look great in a theater. But I'm probably going with Harley's idea on this one. I can't believe I didn't think of that in the first place! By the way I will be doing the act in a sideshow. I've aways used a volunteer to keep time with my digital stopwatch. Thanks everyone!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You can always stick a larger face on it, too.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Get ya a large monitor and plug it into your laptop and use one of these http://www.online-stopwatch.com/download-stopwatch/
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
These are all great ideas. Where else could a person get info and so many options, for their act in such a short amount of time from some of the best performers in the world, but The Magic Café? Amazing!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9489 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What about having everyone get-out their cell phones and use the stop watch function?

You know there will be different results (because people can't always work their phones like experts) This will result in conflict. Ken could probably elaborate on this.

Matter of fact I see a way to use it, in a tent-show, where you're selling tickets to the Rope Tie Challenge, eh?
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Well Jay, I'm working in Jim "The Curator of the Unusual" s Big Circus Sideshow. I've done the escape many times in different venues through the years, but never in a sideshow. I feel honored that he will let me do the act at his show. I truly think we can draw a big tip with the challenge. The biggest problem I have is getting a good looking challenge with the ropes. Any tips on the presentation of this in a sideshow? I bought my clock today, I'm getting ready for showtime!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Good luck! Say hi to Jim. What are you pitching?

www.bladewalker.com
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
He wants to play it by ear, but we will be pitching the challenge of the 100 ft. Rope Escape. I may do some fire eating too. Like I said before, I think the challenge could really draw a crowd if pitched right. And I know Jim can do that.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I have great confidence that he can pitch you. This is not a problem.

But what are YOU pitching? Chinese finger cuffs might be good. A 2 minute do-as-I-do could make it an easy sell.

www.bladewalker.com
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Harley, that's a great idea! I was so caught up in the escape I didn't even think about the opportunity of a pitch. And the Chinese cuffs is perfect. Ok, now I need to get my hands on some cuffs. Any suggestions on a where to get them? I'll need them ASAP.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Orientaltrading.com

Finger Traps...$10 for 6 dozen. Sell 'em at .50-$1, you'll make a bit of money. But you have to have them as part of a routine, and it'll work better if it's audience participation.

They also have slap bracelets, 50 pieces for $20. You could do a funny (gotta be funny for this) race...somebody has to take one bracelet off each wrist, faster than you slip a pair of cuffs (like, oh, let's say, bridgejumpers). Sell 'em at a buck a pop.

Plastic cuffs are $7/dozen.

Rhode Island Novelty also has a comparable product line.

www.bladewalker.com
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Thanks again Harley! I'm going to try to see if I can get any of these in town, but see how quickly I can get them shipped here in Memphis.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Hi

The best we ever found was made for us by Jim Sommers. A huge clock that used an old three minute circular spring operated egg timer as the basis for the large dial it had. It was highly visible. It only went around once full circle to three or four minutes. We loved it. Now most timers time for an hour, not very good for our use as three or four minutes on it is not very visible.

Those little timers are very hard to find any more. Most timer are now little battery operated ones and time for an hour or less. If anyone finds a source for them please let us know.

Dorothy Dietrich & Dick Brookz
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
aka Mike Booth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Timer for escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL