The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » El Duco reel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Does anybody know where to get an El Duco Reel or something just as good. El Duco's site will not allow my credit card for some reason. There must be a US distributor, I hope.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Did you try Joe Stevens?
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Richard,

Yes, I did try Stevens Magic and they do not carry any.
www.drsolar.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike Ammar appeared on the Late Nite David Letterman Show, and used the El Duco Reel. He quickly sold out, and that was over a year ago. It would seem if Michael Ammar cannot get them, that El Duco is also out of stock.

I would say that due to the death of El Duco, whomever is running the El Duco site may be only selling out the products El Duco had in stock. Don't know as there has not been any announcements concerning his business.

To my knowledge El Duco never had a U.S. Distributor, when I worked in a magic shop, we had to order from Sweden for the products.

The standard finger reel will work just as good as the El Duco product. The only feature I see is that El Duco's is larger, more of a handicap then an advantage.

You can buy silk reels from Daytona Magic for $6 and up. Steven's Magic sells the Kirkendall Reel and the Tim Star Reels. All these will do the job.

Also I suggest you call on the telephone Mark Stevens, not just look on their site. Although, the El Duco I am sure is sold out everywhere do to Ammar's appearance on television.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Try calling El Duco to see if they can help with the problem, or send them an e-mail. They are very easy to work with and they are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I have gotten through to El Duco. Their EU credit system has a security block that will not allow use of my VISA credit card. I would have to pay $20 more for Paypal but they frown in it. I could probably send a check snail mail. I will call Stevens again. This is for Silks Through Mic Stand, Arm, etc. Smooth, silent, locking.
www.drsolar.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have the El Duco reel and I absolutely love it. For me, it is the perfect size. However, if you do go to Stevens Magic, ask them about the Kirkendall reel. That thing is absolutely marvelous, and is as quiet as any other good reel out there, including the El Duco reel. I have a Kirkendall that I use and it is not as big as some other reels out there, and as a bonus it comes with a DVD of routines and ideas for use. Last I checked, it was something like $85/USD with shipping included in that price.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Kirkendall reel is very good and quiet.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Okay, with Richard's trusted word, I managed to get one at Hocus Pocus. A Kirkendall that is, without the DVD. Anyone have a copy to get off. Thanks for all the input from all.

Doc

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 10:43pm
Back on the front burner. Got the Kirkendall, no locking brake, small without power.
www.drsolar.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 22:43, Dr. Solar wrote:
Back on the front burner. Got the Kirkendall, no locking brake, small without power.

Finger reels don't need or use a brake that locks, that would only get in the way. Finger reels has a pad break that most do not use in the performance of the effects. Most use their fingers to control the speed.

Power has nothing to do with a reel as well. You don't need power for the Serpent Silk or the silk thru microphone stand effects. Correction, it has all the power and speed it needs to perform with a 24" silk, the Rice Serpent silk, or a rope.

Seems you are making comments that have no bearing on the apparatus. If you would like to explain your comments, I am sure those of us that have used the reel for over 50 years can explain things to you.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 23:17, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-03 22:43, Dr. Solar wrote:

Finger reels don't need or use a brake that locks, that would only get in the way. Finger reels has a pad break that most do not use in the performance of the effects. Most use their fingers to control the speed.

Power has nothing to do with a reel as well. You don't need power for the Serpent Silk or the silk thru microphone stand effects. Correction, it has all the power and speed it needs to perform with a 24" silk, the Rice Serpent silk, or a rope.

Seems you are making comments that have no bearing on the apparatus. If you would like to explain your comments, I am sure those of us that have used the reel for over 50 years can explain things to you.

I concur, and I second the post - except for the part of using the Kirkendall for over 50 years for on my own behalf, I am not old enough to claim that, but I have used one for over 10.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Ouch! For heaven's sakes, you got me on this one. I should have known!
www.drsolar.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Wm is correct. The brake is not used by most guys as it is hard to reach. Just run the line through your fingers. Jay Marshall always used a 24" 6 momme silk with his.

My father went to school with George Kirkendall. George's dad's pilot license was sign by Orville Wright (truly). So I guess I am a young whipper snapper compared to you guys. I knew George myself for over 25 years.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I didn't find my Kirkendale reel to be anywhere near as powerful enough for the silk through mic stand. I have re-tensioned the reel and changed the thread for something much more resistant to breaking and both things have certainly helped but it's still not as good as I feel it needs to be to be completely confident in using it for this effect.

I also use one of Tannens utility reels which looks almost indistinguishable from the Kirkendale reel. I have also re tensioned and re threaded this utility reel and rather suurprisingly this is the one I use regularly in my show as it's the one that seems to be the most reliable, the quitest, the quickest and is therefore the one I have most confidence in.

At some point I am certain to purchase one of El Duco's reels (provided they are still made and stocked) and see how that compares.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree that you must be comfortable with reel and it is a personal thing. I have not had problems with the Kirkendall or P&L reel. You certainly can put in new thread and retension it to some degree. Tannen's may look like Kirkendall's but it is nothing close machine wise inside.

I think it also has something to due with the size and weight of the silk used.

But I certainly respect your opinion.
I just don't agree with it.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
My friend bought the last two El Duco reels available. El Duco is taken over by Gycklaren Magic Marketing (also in Sweden) which does not seem to have any plans to resume production. He lent me one of them for a few weeks, and it beat my reel hands down.
Are there other good alternatives than the Kirkendall reel?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bjarne;

I don't know why your friend thought he'd bought the last 2 reels. Gycklaren Magic tell me that they have them in stock.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Just FYI Sealegs, the other reel you are referring to is Kirkendall, not Kirkendale. I am extremely confident that you will greatly enjoy your El Duco reel!
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
Sealegs, you are right. My friend was conned by a dealer who wanted a quick sale. Gycklaren does still produce them. I got mine from Gycklaren today. It was expensive but I have great hopes for this little toy.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Martin Breese carries a line of super reels comparable to both the Kirkendal and the El Duco.

http://www.abracadabra.co.uk/

I use Paul Diamond reels. Paul taught me the proper handling and I bought four. Still on my first one after over 30 years but won't give up the others. They are not being (and haven't been) produced.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » El Duco reel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL