The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paradox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 11:05, Living Illusions wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 15:50, mastermindreader wrote:
His no-nonsense refusal? His staff initially agreed to the date, then he did an about face and said that the 7th was no good because they wouldn't have time to do a security sweep of the House chamber. Once again showing Boehner's inability to give a straight answer.

Seriously? Please don't tell me the Secret Service is as incompetent as Obama is. They don't have enough time to do a security sweep? Are they taking as much vacation time as Obama is?

what goes into a security sweep? Is it a quick process? A one-and-done?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 11:18, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Is Obama taking too much vacation time? Here's what factcheck.org says:

Quote:
President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.

Knoller, who has covered every president since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records on presidential travel, counts the following among President Obama¡¯s "vacations" in 2009:

*A four-day holiday weekend in Chicago in February where the president played some basketball and treated First Lady Michelle Obama to a Valentine¡¯s Day dinner date.
* An eight-day stay with his family at a rented house on Martha¡¯s Vineyard in August.
* A trip out west to the U.S. states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona that combined both business and pleasure. The president held town hall meetings on health care during the trip. And he went fly fishing and took trips to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon with his wife and two daughters.
* An 11-day stay in Hawaii where the president and his family celebrated Christmas and New Year¡¯s Eve.
Some of the president¡¯s recent predecessors, however, have spent more days ¡ª either entirely or partially ¡ª away from the White House "on vacation" during their first year in office.

President Reagan, in 1981, spent all or part of 42 days away from the White House "on vacation" at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif, according to Knoller. President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, also spent three or four days around New Year¡¯s Day each year in Palm Springs, Calif., at the home of philanthropist Walter Annenberg. (In 1993 the late Mr. Annenberg founded the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, which is FactCheck.org¡¯s parent organization.)

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation¡¯s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them ¡ª all or part of 69 days ¡ª came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller.

Bush¡¯s father, President George H.W. Bush, spent less time "on vacation" during his first year than his son, but spent more days than President Obama. According to travel records provided to FactCheck.org by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the former president took six trips ¡ª spanning all or part of 40 days ¡ª to the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1989. The archivist at Bush¡¯s presidential library told us she didn¡¯t have a list of all vacations but did have the Kennebunkport visits.

But at least two recent presidents ¡ª by Knoller¡¯s count ¡ª took less "vacation" time during their first year than President Obama ¡ª Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

According to Knoller, Carter spent just 19 days "on vacation" in 1977. Most of that time, Knoller says, the former president spent at his home in Plains, Ga. President Clinton took all or part of 174 days of vacation during his eight years as president ¡ª most of that "vacation" time was during the summer, according to Knoller. But Knoller says Clinton only took 21 "vacation" days during his first year.

It¡¯s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips ¡ª all or part of 27 days ¡ª to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn¡¯t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents¡¯ "vacation" time. But for the sake of comparison, President George W. Bush, made more trips to that country residence than Obama. According to Knoller, Bush made 25 trips ¡ª a total of 78 days ¡ª to Camp David in 2001.

But no matter how much time a president actually spends away from the official residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Knoller says that the commander in chief is never really off the clock. "I have long held the view that a US president is never really on vacation," Knoller told FactCheck.org in an e-mail. "The job ¨C and its awesome powers and responsibilities ¨C is his wherever he is and whatever he¡¯s doing."

I'm glad you said it.
Another case of "It's okay if my guy does it more often, but if their guy does it at all he's bad, bad President! No Freedom Fries for you!"
I think one of the things I hate the most about politics and political "debate" is the hypocrisy.
These conversations are so pointless because, most of the time, the only difference between one person's bad guy and good guy is party affiliation.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Critter...actually the thing I despise the most is grading on a curve. They are all bad right now. There is no need to compare any current administration to a past administration. I grade them on on how THEY are doing NOW. I am critical of things Bush did, Clinton did, etc...on their own accord, not in comparison to another president.

What I do find interesting is the decision to respond to the vacation part...but not the incompetent part. That speaks volumes.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 13:25, Living Illusions wrote:
What I do find interesting is the decision to respond to the vacation part...but not the incompetent part. That speaks volumes.

It's more clearly, concisely, and convincingly addressed. We can talk all day long about what constitutes "competence," or speculate about what motivated the decision, but counting vacation days is simple and (relatively) objective.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Bingo! Hard to respond to a catch-all term, easier to respond to the quantifiable one.
~Will Rogers
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
You're right it may be hard to accurately describe competence...but incompetence is quite obvious. I doubt history will have a hard time telling the difference.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
One would think. But it seems that history has been sugar coating the bad done by Presidents after they are finished lately. Heck, even Nixon got popular again long after the fact.
We seldom remember that the "golden" years were made of pyrite.
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 14:35, critter wrote:
Heck, even Nixon got popular again long after the fact.

It didn't take very long. In 1978 I was out drinking with a college wrestling team from California (I have long forgotten which college) after a tournament in Calgary. Somehow the talk got to politics and I was shocked by our guests' forceful conviction that the only thing Nixon did wrong was to get caught. I thought college kids were supposed to be idealistic.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
He who has folk tongue can speak in two places at once
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paradox (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL