The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » a review on the 2000 3 card monte.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
hi, i have just bought the 2000 3 card monte.... after viewing the video on JB TV ....

i thought it was cool... i am quite a monte guy...i already have most of the monte... daryl's ultra monte (which is, i would say, exactly the same as Michael skinner's ultimate monte), gordon bean's temptation, the flap monte, 2 card monte, new york backstreet version of the 2 card monte, ultimonte, and many more...

i hate to say this about any trick i buy, but i have to say it.... the 2000 3 card monte SUCKS big time!!!!
i was taken in by the video.... and you know what, they did not say you need to have the something to do this trick.... and guess what....i do not happen to have the right version of the "something"....
(i can't say too much, or i would give the secret away)

i have the something, but the characteristic of this thing i have does not match the requirement of this trick-- and hence i can't perform this trick without investing on a new thing. And it was not mentioned in the trick that you need this thing--- i understand that they can't mention it, as it would give the secret away, but you can't assume that everyone has this something. the very best he could have done was to include this something into the trick package.

I also have to say the gimmick was not very well made, maybe it was just mine... but i don't think so.... it is pretty visible and i honestly don't think you can pull this off in the real world!

i may sound a bit harsh, but personally am very very disappointed in this trick. i will not recommend it to anyone... stay away from this trick!!!

sometimes when people say "stay away from this trick" , it is because the trick is so great and they want to be the only person performing it...
but not this time.
when i say "stay away from this trick"... i mean it.. i think you are better off buying something else... this is one trick that i won't even give away... cause it really is a big big let down.
Smile Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
In another site's description, it reads:
"Comes with three normal Bicycle cards (uses any three cards), the necessary secret gimmicks and photo-illustrated instructions."

Are you saying there is MORE needed?
If so, I would agree to call a foul and advise you to ask for this "something more" be provided to you, or your money refunded.

The trick does look nice. I'm certain everyone thanks you for the warning.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Yes, it requires something else that is inexpensive, common, and you may already own. But no, it doesn't indicate on the instructions beforehand, so that's poor marketing over the internet, especially given the price, unless you're buying from a store where you can see a demo of it or see his video.

But there are tons of other alternatives to the something else that is required. It's been discussed on this board ad nauseum before.

Brian
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
You need a close up pad because it uses a "BA" principle, bot not well.

This trick STINKS to high heaven. It would fool no one expect Stevie Wonder.

I wish shops would stop carrying Evan horrible effects.

Jeff
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
hi jeff, its nice to know that i am not the only one who is disgusted at this product.

and bekralik, i agree that many people might have the something that is required, but NOT everyone...
also, that something MUST be of a certain color... and only that color! else you won't get away will the trick...
i do agree with you that it really has bad marketing...

and to blindbo and everyone else reading this:
my opinion is "DON'T BUY THIS THING!" ...
unless you want to throw away your 18 bucks!!!

this trick get my vote for : SUPER Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
devin_devil
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of devin_devil
I strongly agree with you, Jeff.
This trick stinks.
Smile
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
Poo dinky doodle on this effect!!
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Ha Ha....Thanks guys (and Jeff) for reviews. I saw video and thought WOW. That is amazing. But then I watched it a couple more times and then started to think hmmmmm....don't tell ....... don't tell me this is "BA"......

Well I was suspicious enough to do additional digging rather than blindly (no pun intended Stevie) sending my money and I found this thread.

Again, thanks... heck, I guess one preferring a very strict interpretation of a "secrets" policy etc. might have issue with this type of a "heads up" regarding marketed items. But from my point of view, in cases like this I think this is where a forum like this is a GREAT service to the hobby/art of magic.

I suspect anyone who has learned magic has made a few purchases along the way they later regretted at some level. I have to think over time increasing the number of satisfied purchases (and decreasing the dissatisfactory ones) is a better way to perpetuate the hobby/art on a large scale than the converse.

"You need a close up pad because it uses a "BA" principle, bot not well.

This trick STINKS to high heaven. It would fool no one expect Stevie Wonder.

I wish shops would stop carrying Evan horrible effects.

Jeff "
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Yes, I agree that this trick stinks - until you see Henry Evans do it personally.

I bought this, was thoroughly disgusted, and sold it asap. Then I attended a Henry Evans lecture and sat in the front row when he did the trick. I could not believe my eyes. It was terrific.

The effect has some definite performance limitations. But in the right setting, this is very strong.

Gianni
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Interesting....you know, having seen the video, I can see what you are saying. I was amazed by demo video.

I guess it is those "performance limitations" which I know I have been burnt by before that I would argue don't do the hobby/art of magic any service to conceal from a prospective buyer.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Yes. For example, one of the main limitations is that you MUST have a close-up mat. And that is only one of the limitations. If you know things like that it will minimize anger and disappointment in the purchase.

Gianni
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I have found that the gimmicks make good coasters and that was the only thing I felt the effect could be used for. Ouch I feel the sting!
Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Really? Smile interesting..... let me ask you I always thought it would be fun to have a round deck of playing cards. If I bought 52 Three Card Montes any chance that with a few colored magic markers I could make this work?

I was also hoping to be able to play card games at night or in a dark room without being caught.
The Great Dave
View Profile
Loyal user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
202 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
I work the effect on a black felt tablecloth which I use to cover my entire table. I bought the felt at the fabric store for about $5. I switched from a red cloth just so I could do this effect and have decided I actually like it better. I also like working on felt better than mats. The best way to handle the BA cards is to do a push off straight forward with the top card leaving the BA under your hand, wrist, then arm as you extend the top card forward. When you withdraw your hand pull straight back and catch the BA card with the base of your palm and do the lap move. The BA card is always hidden by your hand/wrist/arm. I do it a little faster than Henry does in his video. This effect is always a knock-out for my crowd and I actually had someone pay me $100 to sell them my set and teach them how to do it. This layman did it perfectly the first time. If any of you want to sell me your set half price send me a PM. Best wishes, Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
James Bateman
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of James Bateman
To The Great Dave,
Congratulations - you're one of the few that 'get it'. 3 Card Monte 2000 is FABULOUS. I defy any magician/layman to figure this out the first time they see it.

After I bought it, I was so floored that Evans had the cujones to use BA in a close-up effect, I fell off my chair. Attention K-mart shoppers: Using bizarre, out-of-the-question, wierdo methods that no one WOULD EVER EVEN CONCEIVE is the whole point. When it comes to foolin the masses, take no prisoners, have no mercy. Sometimes, as is the case with 3 Card Monte 2000 you might have to use an extra prop (like a close-up mat), and you may have to lap (unless you can palm out the gimmick).

By reading these posts, and most of the posts on the Café, it seems people want magic tricks that are more like toys with batteries included. They want it to work perfectly in every situation, at all angles, under all lighting right out of the package. And then people with very little experience poo poo the effect for all the world to see on the Café. I guess they're entitled to their opinion. I just wanted to make sure this particular effect wasn't given short shrift.
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
I watched this in person by Henry Evans at his lecture(and the trick looked ok). However, even when he performed it to me I could see that the colors didn't exactly matchup. The problem with this trick is that your close up pad (well mine at least) has aquired a serious amount of wear-and-tear. Therefore discoloring it.
The Great Dave
View Profile
Loyal user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
202 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
Jsheas,
The colors don't have to match up. The BA card is only there to hide side angles. Keep your arm parallel and close to the table. If you can keep the BA card under the cover of your hand/wrist/arm as you push the top card forward and then pull your arm straight back nobody will ever see the BA card from the top. Another way to say this is never expose the top of the BA card. Keep your arm very close to the table as you work with the push off and pull back. And buy a new mat. Best wishes, Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
That's true.
You are correct.
Thanks for the tip.
I have one question has anyone ever used this trick for anything other than an opener. I like how in other versions, the magician can spread through the deck of cards and pull out 3 "random" cards for the trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » a review on the 2000 3 card monte.... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL