The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ink by Mickeal Chatelain (Paul Harris Presents) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Ryan930
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Ryan930
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 16:34, theboywonder wrote:
Hey Ryan930, did you also only "open it up a half hour ago and you can do it already"? Sorry, a Wizard Product Review quote, I couldn't resist! Seriously, how is it?

As requested by boywonder and movieman..

Just a quick initial impression. To be honest, I have not spent much time on it and have yet to look through the whole DVD.

Boywonder, you can do it even if you open it half an hour ago! As long as you can grip a deck, it's pretty safe to say that you can perform the effect. For the clean up, it's as simple as taking out the cards. Basically 2 basic technique require (if you even consider them as a technique), Grip and taking cards out.

The DVD come with 1 gimmick with the option to work with either red bicycle and mandolin deck + a marker.
The gimmick is rather simple and clever. It's fairly durable, will last you a long time but its probably not going to last a lifetime due to wear and tear.
You can easily repair and remake the gimmick once you know how it's done.
The DVD mainly run you through various ideas on different drawings/effect which is good for ppl with limited creativity. It's straight forward dvd with no one talking.. just music, drawings, subtitles.

There are some limitation that one might need to take note of.
-It's not something that you want to do very close-up because the box can't be closely scrutinized during the effect. You probably need to hold it some distance away like the video and not under a bright lighting. I think its fair to hold it some distance away so that your spectator and you can see the effect and with the focus on the drawing they might not see the gimmick.

-You can't make the whole box drawing change, you can only work around a certain area of the box. It's not something that allow you to change/switch to another totally different picture. You will need to spend some time and think of how you want the morph your picture around certain area.

-The red color of the gimmick is slightly off from the box color. Once you do your clean up, I'm not sure if anyone will notice. To be fair, I notice it because I'm so used to seeing bicycle deck. The layman might not notice the difference.

The box can be examined once you do the clean-up which is done in front of the spectator and is justified. You are just taking out the cards so that they can look at both outside/inside of the box. By doing that, you are done with the clean up. It does not take long to reset, you will just need to redraw the image.
You do not need to erase the picture like what the demo did, you can keep it as it is when you pass the box over to the spectator. You will not want the spectator to touch the box before you clean up.

Price wise, its on the slightly higher end. If you like the effect then I guess its worth it for you. Just take note of the environment that you are performing.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Thank you Ryan930! You answered all of my questions and more about INK. I'm not sure if it's for me, though. I guess I'll wait for Craig and David's opinions on WPR to be sure. Thanks again!
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
magicology
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magicology
Awesome, psychicturtle! Love your tree/butterfly idea.

Feel free to contact me with some of the drawings/effects you come up with. The team at Paul Harris Presents looks forward to seeing what magicians come up with!!

Quote:
On 2011-09-28 09:50, psychicturtle wrote:
I got mine this morning and I am very impressed. I don't have time to write full review, but I will state this:
Very easy to do, very easy to show the case and hand it out if someone really wants to see it, but the best thing is that you can set it up with a new design within a minute. I thought it would be a one-time set up and the design is permanent, but no, you can change the design as often as you want with a bit of privacy and a minute.
I did have a tiny problem with the dry erase ink getting on the inside of the gimmick, but a damp cloth got that off. I am so impressed by this. It looks like real magic and the video demo is exactly what it looks like.

The problem I have now is dealing with the barrage of ideas that are flooding into my brain for this thing... I already made a tree change into a butterfly. It was lovely. Smile
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I just received this today. While I have not used it yet I have toyed with the gimmick and once you know the method it is simple to see how this operates. With that in mind I have to say this is one well thought effect. The props are very nice indeed and it was NOT what I thought it would be. I did watch the video first and it all made sense so much so there is no voice in the video just someone showing you what to do. If you buy this I believe you will like it. I know I do and will use it.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 12:49am
I put the gimmick together and showed my wife---she LOVED it! I did the growing plant one and then I did it in the mirror to see how it looked and I LOVED it as well. I'm very glad I ordered this.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
Very visual. That's what I call a magic moment. Smile Lools alost like WoW
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
This looks very amazing, but as another poster stated, the box design is different in Canada - I'm concerned this will not work for us.
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
So can I perform a regular card effect first and then get into Ink or is this tied pretty much to the card box?
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi Jan

You can perform any "normal" card effects you want before and after INK.

Janet
magicology
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magicology
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 16:13, CRMagius wrote:
This looks very amazing, but as another poster stated, the box design is different in Canada - I'm concerned this will not work for us.

Hi CRMagius,

I'm looking into it. Are you familiar with Mandolin backed bicycle decks?

They look and feel like regular bicycle cards and you will be ready to perform INK and many current and future card effects...

Thanks,
Josh
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
For what it's worth...you can buy Mandolins and classic Rider Backs at the same dealer you got INK from. Also..with a little work and research you could alter the gimmick to fit any back design.

Take care,

Janet.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
I recently got a chance to see one of these in action, and literally every word was wiped from my mind with the exception of "GENIUS!" When you get this thing and start playing with it--and see what it's made of--you quickly realize that you're holding something special and insanely unique. The possibilities are endless, and the method is just pure "out of the box", brilliant thinking.

Amazing work, Mickeal. Can't wait to see what else you've got!

Matt
Bobbert
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
152 Posts

Profile of Bobbert
A lot of people are hyping this product so maybe its best if I give a few negatives...

If you are in bad lighting you can see the gimmick. If you are not at least a few feet away you can see the gimmick. Definitely the one Mikael uses in the demo is much higher quality then the one you purchase! Materials within the gimmick do not match up which makes some part of it stand out and yes it can only be used with a red back.

It was previously stated that you can use permanent marker. You can... if you either want to get a new cellophane every time or a new gimmick everytime...

I tried it with various people when I got it and if they are around an arms length or closer, it is VERY obvious what is going on... If done far away it does pack a punch tho!
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Thank you. It is always good to get a different perspective from those who don't point out any negatives.

If it's true that the actual product you can buy is of markedly lesser quality than what's shown in the demos, that's kind of deceptive...
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello all.

The gimmicks used in the demo are the exact same quality and type that are supplied. If anyone is having a problem with their gimmick or feels that they have a defective unit please contact your dealer for a replacement or contact me at Janet@paulharrispresents.com and we'll sort things out.

Janet.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I think I need to see this performed live before I make a decision. Smile
MagicD48
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MagicD48
I have noticed that people have repeatedly stated the gimick can only be used with a red back, but I also noticed PHsis point out that this can be suited to any back design "with a little work and research". Somewhere round page 3, someone asked if this could be done with the celophane on a packet of cigarretes. Id like to update that question and ask: Could this be done with the celophane on a pack of cigarretes "with a little work and research"? ie, the same work and research required to make this fit any back design.
I don't really carry decks of cards, so a cigarrete packet is so much more organic for me during a "show me a trick" moment. Something like this would destroy people if it seemed impromptu.
Thank you for any replies.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
It depends how you (or anyone else) defines "little work and research", but yes: I guess it should be absolutely doable for you to adapt it to a cigarette box (some designs will work better than others, probably) and you don't have to be particularly good with your hands...!
Hope that helps!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Good idea. I better take up smoking. Should I start on 50 a day or just ease my way in?
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2011-10-06 10:14, Nicolino wrote:
It depends how you (or anyone else) defines "little work and research", but yes: I guess it should be absolutely doable for you to adapt it to a cigarette box (some designs will work better than others, probably) and you don't have to be particularly good with your hands...!
Hope that helps!

Wouldn't it have to be a rather "busy" design (like the back of a playing card) in order to hide what's going on? Are there cigarette brands with designs like that?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
It surely depends what brands are common in your country but after "a little research" one should be able to find a suitable one. Keep in mind that I'm a non-smoker though...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ink by Mickeal Chatelain (Paul Harris Presents) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL