The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ink by Mickeal Chatelain (Paul Harris Presents) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
This is not for me. While yes it up to us to set the right conditions..I do magic in the real world where condition aren't perfect and are not setup. You talk about checking lighting conditions and so forth but that's a stage act and this is a close up effect. Now if you cant do it close up with out having the perfect conditions then for me....it of no use.

I'm not saying it can be of use for others..but for me this is a pass.
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
672 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I wish they had of mentioned negatives on the Wizard Magic Review. They are always going on about the importance of practicality and performing in real world situations.
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Sold mine,I love the idea and on the demo it looks great ,but I found when performing if you were to close the gimmick was visible and if you were to far away the spec missed the moment.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
So far, I have not been convinced by this. I just watched the WPR, and they seem to be in love with it. They compare this to having "WOW!" built into your card box. Well, I'm a big fan of "WOW!", so I really would like to think that this effect is as practical.
Surely, someone can offer a balanced review, which will explain who can use this, and in what circumstances?
My feeling is that this will play very well for me, and that I will find a way to present it successfully. But I don't want to be burned, and am reticent, as there is too much hype, and not enough realistic comment.
Really, if we are told the true limitations of "Ink", then I believe it would be something that many folks would rush to add to their repertoire. But without a real indicator of it's practicality, it remains one of those effects which looks great, but doesn't convince me that it would play out in the real World.
I bought "Little Man" last year, also from Paul Harris, and I have to say that there is one strong effect, which really does work. It can't be repeated, without a significant reset, but nevertheless, it "does what it says on the box." There are certainly limitations to "Little Man", but that has not been an issue for me.
Now we have this release, "INK", which appears to be superb. But again, I am wondering about the limitations, and despite some folks saying that lighting conditions are a factor, I don't really understand. I'm not fishing for methods at all, but simply wondering whether or not this effect will work in my repertoire?
Potty;)
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello All

The creator Mickael Chatelaine says that if you have any concerns about the lighting or distance..that you can simply add some decorative lines/stars/doodles around the main drawing. This hides most of the small action and
should give you all the freedom you need during performance.

Hope this helps!

Janet.
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing with the ink gimmick since I received it a few days ago. Here's my objective review regarding certain hesitations people have.

Lighting/Distance concerns: In 98% of walkaround/closeup situations the lighting will be fine. Worries mostly for direct sunlight and extremely bright lighting, equivalent to issues with any IT/loops

Reactions: I've only had opportunity to perform it a few times for laypeople, but the reactions are incredible. It is truly some of the most amazing/innovative visual magic I've seen in a while.

The method is ingenious and can be applied to many other ideas, I look forward to seeing other people's uses/thinking using this. In addition, the information on the dvd allows you, if you're creative, to make your own gimmick with different card case designs.

Hope that answers some of the questions I've been seeing.

-Raahul
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Looks good on the trailer. Haven't tried it myself, but not really in to the set up.
Will get it down to give it a shotl
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
977 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
We had a chance to review this on our Magic Marketplace product review show Sunday night. A few highlights from the show are included and if you'd like to see the full review of INK plus two other great products you can enjoy them here: http://youtu.be/71220M8C6VE

Pros:

- This is truly visual eye candy! What you see in the demo is what you will be seeing yourself do in the mirror.
- Once you do the 'animation' the box can be handed out. This is a great touch that needed to be included!
- The spectator's can wipe away the ink once the animation is done.

Cons:

- There is a gimmick involved that you will need to reset after each performance.
- Angles need to be kept in mind. Having anyone behind you or to far too your side could spoil this.

Personally we've seen the mentions about lighting conditions and haven't had any issues ourselves. Keep in mind the typical performing situations for us are restaurants or lounge type areas that do in fact have lower lighting. If you had people right up on it burning it then perhaps this could be an issue and something to keep in mind.

Overall:

We like this and think that if visual magic that you can carry with you is your thing then you will be happy. The price is a little higher than normal but with a custom gimmick like this you are sure to see the value in this once you've purchased it.
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
I just got this two days ago and honestly I have to say only one word: BRILLIANT!

Guys, brothers, magic friends... This baby is awesome!

Why? Because it plays exactly how magic should be in the first place: VISUAL

You write a prediction on the back of the card case...
Spectator selects a card from a regular deck. You put deck back into case turn it around and reveal prediction...
It's wrong of course...BUMMER! But see, now the, THE MAGIC happens infront of their faces IN SLOWMOTION.

The wrong prediction slowly MORPHS into their selected card. I mean honestly, it can't get any better then this.
The ink really winds, dissapears and suddenly shows the selected (or thought of card)

I played with this a while yesterday and just couldn't stop laughing...It's that great. BTW. It's a custom gimmick and the price is very justified. IMHO I would even buy this for $150+

This is hard hitting, visual, well conceived magic like Cyril Takayama or Copperfield would perform.

Snag this baby guys. It's worth it.

10 out of 10

My two cents.

Jan
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2034 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I can tell you this. The first time you perform this for someone they will be watching the black ink movements and by the time it is over it will be too late for them to see the gimmick. So far I have had zero people figure this out. I don't do stroll around however and my hats off to all of you who do---you truly have your hands full. I do however do house parties and that seems to be ideal for Ink. I'm very glad I purchased this.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Mickael
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Mickael
Jan, Thank you very much !
I'm really happy to read your message "INK"
I'm sure you will find amazing ideas with my turn and wait to see them!
Thank you all !!!!!!!

Mickael Chatelain
joraroor
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of joraroor
Hi,

My INK shows through and now several people (including my 4 years) has been to move the white square. Is it normal?.

Thank you.
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 05:01, joraroor wrote:
Hi,

My INK shows through and now several people (including my 4 years) has been to move the white square. Is it normal?.

Thank you.

Either you are not doing it right or you are waaay too close.
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
joraroor
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of joraroor
But in the video is very close and not see anything.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2034 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Again note the lines you draw. It makes all the difference in the world.

Good magic to all,

Eric
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
622 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I can't believe this has received such glowing reviews and can only conclude that it is because magicians are so focused on new methodologies and eye candy. I will be the first to admit that the method is great and the change looks amazing under the right lighting conditions.

But what is the effect? You write a prediction; a card is "freely selected;" the prediction is revealed; the prediction is wrong; the prediction morphs from the wrong card to the right one. You could do this same effect with just about any color change or any number of methods. But my guess is that most of you don't. Why? Because it isn't a very entertaining effect, and there's really nothing to it. You change an incorrect prediction to a correct prediction. Why was the prediction incorrect in the first place? Basically, it is no different than any of the hundreds of card revelations out there, except with the addition of the "wrong" prediction.

The only thing that distinguishes this is the very visual transformation on the box. And yes, that is VERY cool. But there many cool eye candyish methods that are part of a much better effects. Those effects are structured and layered with clever entertaining patter and a unified presentation that makes sense. This is just one step up from a Blainesque "guerilla street magic" effect.

In short, this is a great method for a very visual change, but it is in need of a better application. It needs to be worked into an entertaining effect. As it is, it will certainly shock your audience and amaze your magic buddies, but I doubt many will be doing this in their professional repertoires, and after the initial splash, I doubt we'll ever hear from it again.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Lumberjohn, I don't quite agree with your analysis. There are a zillion card tricks, and plenty of other magic effects which employ this plot. The magi "gets it wrong", and then manages to use "real magic" to resolve the problem.
I would go so far as to say that most card tricks can be made "more entertaining" by getting it wrong at first, but then something unlikely and impossible happens which ends up with the magi getting it right.
Of course, the real issue is more that this plot is SO popular, that a performer really has to decide if THIS particular "magician in trouble" plot is the one they want to use.
I'm afraid that from what I've read, and heard about "INK", I've decided it probably isn't for me....but I look forward to seeing it live. This is one of those effects that sound fantastic, look fantastic (on a demo vid), but leave me feeling uncertain as to it's practicality for my personal use.
Potty
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
622 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
The general "magician gets it wrong then uses magic to get it right" plot is indeed ubiquitous. But that is just the skeleton on which these effects are based. The better ones put a lot of meat on the bones. They may use an emotionally engaging story line or lead the spectators on for a while so the failure and recovery have significant emotional impact. The worst ones do nothing to flesh out the skeleton. The magician simply gets something wrong and then makes it right.

That's what happens in this effect. After the spectator selects their card, you reveal your prediction and it is wrong. You then cause the prediction to morph so the prediction is correct. The effect hangs ENTIRELY upon the visual transformation of the ink from one card to another.

That may be enough for some. But I do believe it is a significant weakness that this transformation is put to use in such a mundane and pedestrian effect. Also, the nature of the method means that you are very limited in the cards you can transform from and to, so it is not really practical for multiple performances to the same group.

There is an effect on the DVD involving the hat of a drawn character raising when the performer blows on the card case. That has more emotional resonance to me than the card prediction change. But no real presentation is provided. You simply draw the figure and blow. Again, the entire effect depends solely on the visual change.

I don't want anyone to think I am downplaying how good this change can look. I just wish there were more to do with it than what is presented on the DVD.
madcats9
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of madcats9
Quote:
There is an effect on the DVD involving the hat of a drawn character raising when the performer blows on the card case. That has more emotional resonance to me than the card prediction change. But no real presentation is provided. You simply draw the figure and blow. Again, the entire effect depends solely on the visual change.

The effect with the little man getting his hat blown away looks quite cool to me, too, but it is the only great use of 'Ink' in my opinion as the false predictions are just okay, nothing what is worth carying 'Ink' with you. The problem with the little man is that the effect is very visual but much too short. I thought about introducing him as my assisstant, which is quite cute, but where to go from there? Just blowing his hat off doesn't make much sence and moreover doesn't justify to introduce him as your assisstant. You could combine this with the cartoon deck, but again, how to justify to draw the character onto the box, just to blow is hat away?

If the DVD would suggest a good presentation and a plot the little guy with the hat would be something that would make 'Ink' great, but for now I am not that convinced of the effect.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I saw this one was not impressed.Sometimes I say to myself is this hype or are we on the same wave length.I am fortunate to see these items my opinion and I am a straight shooter save your money.There are far more better card stuff to do than this.Hey good old card magic classics are the best this other stuff is just one trying to cash in.Read books you will get more than one terrible trick such as this.Get smart guys trying to help you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ink by Mickeal Chatelain (Paul Harris Presents) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL